Kiddie Park

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
A track in the middle of Sydney's inner west ... I've been eyeing this for a few years, but pictured that it would be a hard slog to fix as the ground was rock hard.

However, given some lack of riding, some Sydney Water general stuffing up of a lot of the track, and the great soaking we've had in Sydney over the last few months. I decided to have a dig.

I didn't think to get before shots ... so these shots are about 20hours or so of work over 6 weekends. (there are some other bits I've added further down the track not worth the pics as yet). Picture everything pretty much flat.

Generally, the track is council provided ... has been there for several years (if not more) and has not been touched ... the majority was flat due to a combination of erosion and use by the kiddies ... with some huge straight and uninteresting bits (not yet pictured).

All features have a flat section beside it so the kids can ride around if they like. The residents and local walkers have all been really friendly, and I've had some nice chats with the majority of them. They have all recognised the need for the track to be maintained ... with one of the ressies actually saying that he'd mention the need at council (which I kinda tried to talk him out of ... funny thing is that two weeks after that discussion I saw a backhoe parked near the track and thought I was stuffed, but it was for the canal work that is currently in progress ... phew) :cool:

Anywho ... here we go.

1) The Start
- This is the original Start built by council ... tar mound, which is a little short and steepish (but *shrugs) ... off to the right, some local kiddies piled a bunch of dirt and corresponding pit.
I filled in the pit ... put the startings of a berm, steepened it up and hipped it.

2) Hip1
- Shitty pic but you can see the mound to hip left ... and the beginings of another berm which I've lost interest in for the minute.

note: the berm to the tree isn't as big as it looks (if it was it'd be awesome) it actually stops at the tree and is an optical illusion.:)

3) Hip1a
nicer view ... you can sorta see the bank and tiny lander :eek: ... the bank is for the timid ... you could berm it or start hitting it at slow speed to build up to the bigger section ... could be bigger, but its a kiddie park.

Looking thru the picture you can see the next feature. The rollers

I'll eventually build another lander on the other side of the kicker so it can be hipped or Dj'd for variety

4) Rollers & Hip2

Firstly Hip 2 ... the plan was to try to link Hip1 and Hip2 ... the lander in Hip1 needs to be pitted out abit to pump some speed ... ground is a little to firm to do it by hand and there's plenty more to do.

If you look at the pic "Hip2 opposite angle" ... the plan was to hip over the bush kinda ... haven't hit it yet ... so right now its a bigger kicker attached to the rollers . smaller doubles.

The rollers aren't working exactly as I want yet ... it works as a double from the start ... which you have to spin hard for.

in the opposite direction you can pump it really nice for some speed ... but it doesn't quite work the other way yet ... bah ... kinda nice doubling it then hitting the table top.

5) Table to Berm
The table is pretty cool ... except its either a little short ... or the landing just isn't steep enough ... over time I'll build the lander steeper ... but I don't want to make it too big as some of the kiddies have already fallen off it :)

6) end of table to berm1
You can see my problem ... its not as flat as it looks ... but its still flat so I need to shift quite a bit of dirt to build it up more ...

The berm comes at you a little quick if your doubling the rollers, then hitting the table ... so needs to be bigger and a little rounder.

7) Berm 2 and beginnings of table 2
This berm leads to another berm thru the trees (not started) ... the idea is to have a pump ... which will be part of the table top.

I'll need a wheel barrow for this section as there isn;t much dirt and what is there is sandy.

I've done most of this by myself, although I've had help in recent times ... thanks Kieran and the two BMx guys today :) especially the guy that almost lost a hand coz of me :eek:

NOTE:

It is kinda obvious where this is for locals ... but PLEASE, don't name the place ... happy to talk via PM and I have a thread in NSW Wateringhole if you want to help ... but I'd prefer not to name the place as yet. THANKS. :cool:

Attachments

Last edited:

Xplor

Likes Dirt
Thats pretty mad! I wish the council where i live have something like that. But did the council every maintain it? Or the built a track then just left it.
Cheers. Xplor.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
... But did the council ever maintain it? Or [did] the[y] buil[d] a track then just left it.
Yep ... council provided the track quite a while ago ... and pretty much have ignored it ... there is a tar hill in the back ground of the last pic ... that is pretty much rotting away. The obvious risk is that my digging plus the Sydney Water work on the canal will attract some attention when Sydney Water finish ... but they've been there for a good year so far ... so a bit of time yet.

Where is that Al?

Lots of potential for a lot of fun there I think.
Early days, but yeah ... sent you a PM as well Dude.

Wow, that looks so different to the flatness it was before.

*speechless* :eek:
heee heeee ... Kieran's been pretty good with the shovel so can't take all the credit :p

GREAT WORK!

Gone from tiny bumps - Big awesome bumps! hehe
wah wah ... my lumps are still there :) ... can't wait to get to that section as this is where one of the pump track loops is going to go :cool: I'm picturing 3 pump track loops connected via some short-ish trail sections.

See you Saturday Dude ... bring you mates & a shovel if you can (but not important as I have a couple spares) save you the pain whilst you pedal from Glebe :D

tomysu

Likes Bikes
SWEET AS!!!

You and the rest of the guys have done a GREAT Job mate...looks real fun!!!

Keep up the Digging ;)

Looks like this will turn out to be a Sik place to ride!!!

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This kind of inspires me to fix up our local kiddie park. Your dirt looks a little easier to use than our red cement though.

DjRyde

Likes Dirt
Danger: Council

:mad:I was down at the kiddie park today, when the council turned up! Im like oh shit, im gone i dropped everything and legged they drove through along the footpath in like i nedd to get my bike and the shovels, iwalked past the council truck there were three guys and a wheelbarrow in the back. THEY GAVE ME A MASSIVE DEATH STARE. I kept walking and the turned around and walked back along the gravel road grabeed my bike and got a shovel and just legged it home. I so hope their not knocking the jumps down, all that hard work. Im going back down there now to see what their doing. :mad:
Kieran :mad:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Ah Little Grasshopper

Oh well, we'll see ... a little lesson in future ... (and this works for Cops as well) ... running is a sign of guilt :p ... we ain't doing anything wrong as far as we know. We are just maintaining the track to its former/potential glory.

Next time, just say "Hello" ... DON"T RUN ... and if they ask you what your doing then say ... "maintenance ... a few of the residents, local bike users and I are maintaining our local track".

Never mind I have a plan :cool:

DjRyde

Likes Dirt
Oh well, we'll see ... a little lesson in future ... (and this works for Cops as well) ... running is a sign of guilt ... we ain't doing anything wrong as far as we know. We are just maintaining the track to its former/potential glory.

Next time, just say "Hello" ... DON"T RUN ... and if they ask you what your doing then say ... "maintenance ... a few of the residents, local bike users and I are maintaining our local track".
Yer I know, but it did look suspicious, first there was 1 truck and when i went back later there were 4. But luckily they were just laying mulch out.
Luckily they didn't wreck the jumps.
But if they did catch me could they fine me, and is it legal.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
They could always try to fine you I guess ... but sounds like it was the garden crew, as they've been renewing the mulch around the garden beds all around the park, for the last few weeks.

Just remember in the end council have neglected it for years!

Its a track they provided, we're only maintaining it, and we're leaving plenty of room for beginners and flat bits for the kiddies to ride around everything.

Worse case ... always easy just to play dumb ... "I no speaky enrish Mista" :) ... also helps to have an alias (Richard Kwang at your service :D)

Anyway ... good news re the mulch ... will save us time wheeling in from the other stack I had in mind :) The bad news is that I think I have to put a submission in to maintain the track now ... bah

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Update

We've managed to get some free dirt from Sydney Water ... which is a mixed blessing.

I suspect Council will be coming in next week ... so the boys and I have gone crazy building bits

Berm 2

Has been built up with the kicker (left) over the berm and single / roller) right
Lander is on the other side of the berm and heads you to a two way kicker which can be hipped right or doubled left to berm 4 or the jump of death.

exit berm 2
sorry shitty lighting. but you can see the double over the berm right to left.

Then what you can't see is straight ahead two shitty pumps and a soft berm thru the trees. Pumps are a little close together and square ... bah.

Berm is actually heaps of fun, but just can't milk speed out of it yet.

Berm 3

a better pic ... Do you think the pump is too steep maybe ?? I want to build the exit higher with better dirt tomorrow maybs.

exit berm 3

The idea here is to have 2 pumps exiting the berm, to a little pop heading straight to berm 4. Not getting enough speed and having problems with the shape of the pumps again.

You can see the 2 way kicker thingy to the left of the pic. So it either doubles and heads to berm 4 (straight thru the image) or right towards to fellas.

Straight thru the image heading to the left of berm 4 is Mr Ks Kicker of Death ... a 3-4 meter gap impaling on to wood sleepers if you come up short.

Not sure council will like that one ... but somebodies tried it already, as there have been some tyre tracks *shrugs ... not me.

Berm 4

self explanatory. see the wood wall where I would be landing :eek: :eek:

Next Section:

I'll be honest ... there is lots of space in here with existing fat mounds so lots of dirt ... but I'm running out of ideas ... I have in my head this being a pump section ... with it ringing around the man made hill where the barrow is ... then coming back to the exit of berm 3. Hmmmmmm lots of digging involved here.

I didn't take pics, but the Table top is about 20cms taller now ... it has a smaller kicker addition at the beginning that Mr K built which adds about a foot more gap/length. The kicker and lander are heaps steeper now, which is great ... and lets you pump heaps of speed for either the berm gap or the berms. :cool: I love this bit.

Other notes:
you've hopefully seen my submission and provided some comments ... I plan to go to council on Monday and see where I end up. Suspect all the work so far will be gone before I get anywhere ... but *palm slap and shrugs. Fingers crossed.

Thanks to the Kiddie Park Diggers today & Mr K ... has mainly been a two man show but has been great.

Attachments

ElectroFunkster

Likes Dirt
Been looking for something like this in sydney ...

Had no idea where this was and was going to send you a PM till I saw the last pic.

PM me if you want help with the track .. we can call it pay to ride ;)

Dobbo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Al, what happened here with the kiddie park, havn't seen a post for ages.
Did council finally catch up with you?

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Dobbo ... Its miraculously surviving ... council has been to the area (several times now since July) with what looks like trucks and some kind of earth cultivator thingy (ie, to break up some of the clay on the new clay road ... but they've left the track alone ... :cool:

Tracks getting a lot of use from what I can see ... with minimal vandalism (some but nothing to get angry about)

The Boyz have built a couple new bits ... not shown above ... but the lack of rain and general sandyness is killing us at present. The newer kickers, not built during the rains several months ago, are coming apart or just not holding their form (given the volume of beginner traffic, RC users and generally just kids stuffing about) ... but again nothing to spit the dummy about.

I'll take some pics next time I'm there.

DjRyde

Likes Dirt
Worked out how to make better jumps and not use that shitty sand so now they are making some better progress