Kids at stromlo crit track

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
I always thought user conflict at stromlo wouldn come from horse riders and bikes. However in practice this seems to have worked out well.

Little kids - think 3-5 - and roadies doing training on the crit track all at same... Well that is a recipe for disaster.

I was Around today when there was an accident between a kid and a roadie and no one happy. The guy was furious yelling out 'whose f...n kid is this' and carrying on
Like a pork chop.

I can have some empathy for all but there is definitely a problem with young kids and people training on the stromlo crit track.

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
The guy obviously needs a reality check.

Kids don't start turning up until around 9am, there's plenty of time to pretend you are a super-fast racer early in the morning.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The guy obviously needs a reality check.

Kids don't start turning up until around 9am, there's plenty of time to pretend you are a super-fast racer early in the morning.
Agreed. Expecting the crit track to yourself on a long weekend is pretty dumb. The cotter loop is way nicer anyway if you're taking the roadie out.

Fast franky222

Cannon Fodder
New to this forum (so go easy), but had to comment as I was there and saw it happen..

Looked like a big crash for all involved. Id been "attempting" to test my new down hill bike, and was taking a break in the up stairs bit watching the crit guys play on the track when it happened. Seemed like the guy wasnt going too fast at all (riding up hill on a gearless bike) and the kid just rode in front of him..took the parent about 2 mins to get there..so they must have been monitoring him really well (joke)

Now im possibly biased (i dont have kids) but is it really the best place to take small kids? Sure its a great place to take kids who are interested in getting into serious cycling...but it almost looked like a dumping ground (re child care centre) for parents to drop their kids...

All i thought was im glad they wernt on the hill...just imagine 2-6 year olds playing on the down hill course, with guys/gals on 25kg bikes doing 40+kmph coming down the hill...thats got bad writtern all over it...

Yeah the guy went off, but i dont blame him really...You ride on the road, people in cars yell and blow their horns at you...you ride on the cycle paths...People walking dogs get scared and yell at you...so you try riding at the 1 place that has been built for cycling...and kids are playing on the track....tooo funny...Id go off too if someone knocked me off my bike coming down the track.. looked like it was going to get worse when a parent of another kid came over and started to pick a fight with the guy...the guy that crashed must have looked pretty pissed though, cos the parent withdrew very quickly..

Oh and deadset, less then 10 mins after it happened i saw this little tike riding his bike the wrong way round the track, no parents in sight and only around 4 years old with training wheels still on....i couldnt watch it happen again so i hit the hill again.

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
Kids do play on the bottom of the downhill track - don't hit that big jump over the pipe (just before the two little drops and the finish line) unless someone is there to keep the landing clear.