Kids Balance Bikes

John U

MTB Precision
Can't stress more how important the weight is a factor if your considering something "that heavy". My daughters cruzee weighed in at 1.89kg that's light enough to carry her and the bike when she gets bored <snip>
May also want to take into account how easy it is to carry one handed. The First Bike is quite easy to carry with one hand while you're carrying your youngster in the other.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That looks a good thing Stirk. Simillar looking frame to the Hotwalk. Saddle looks like it gets down really low too. Worth a try for $99.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
May also want to take into account how easy it is to carry one handed. The First Bike is quite easy to carry with one hand while you're carrying your youngster in the other.
Yep easy to carry one handed and also with QR Bars n Seat I can strip it down and fit it IN my backpack.

I often ride a few km to the kids park with her on the yepp mini. Being able to take her bike too means she can take advantage of the track around the park and the normally empty skatepark nearby.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
I got my little bloke an Early Rider Alley Runner 12' at the age of 2 and he loves that thing, it sleeps in his room. Its super light and very very well made. I believe because his confidence has developed from a well designed bike he's now constantly asking for a pedal bike.

http://www.earlyrider.net.au/shop/products/alley-runner-12

We bought a pink DK for our 18 month old who I can see will struggle with the weight of it so as said above get nice light bike it makes all the difference.

In looking at pedal bike for the young block I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Cleary Hedge Hog. Light weight, brakes and appropriate geo. http://clearybikes.com/products/hedgehog-16-single-speed?variant=3558222980

Why not the Early Rider Belter. Cost is the only reason.

Cleary appear to also make balance bikes with brakes which I would have loved to have known about before I got my daughter the DK. http://clearybikes.com/collections/bikes/products/starfish-12-balance-bike?variant=3558422084

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got my little bloke an Early Rider Alley Runner 12' at the age of 2 and he loves that thing, it sleeps in his room. Its super light and very very well made. I believe because his confidence has developed from a well designed bike he's now constantly asking for a pedal bike.

http://www.earlyrider.net.au/shop/products/alley-runner-12

We bought a pink DK for our 18 month old who I can see will struggle with the weight of it so as said above get nice light bike it makes all the difference.

In looking at pedal bike for the young block I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Cleary Hedge Hog. Light weight, brakes and appropriate geo. http://clearybikes.com/products/hedgehog-16-single-speed?variant=3558222980

Why not the Early Rider Belter. Cost is the only reason.

Cleary appear to also make balance bikes with brakes which I would have loved to have known about before I got my daughter the DK. http://clearybikes.com/collections/bikes/products/starfish-12-balance-bike?variant=3558422084
Why not the early rider or the cleary? Availability... Unless you travel to the US it just isn't worth it.
I tried my luck to get a superfly 16 in, but was told that I'd have to pay for shipping it from one side of the us to the other and then to Aus, and I might get it by Christmas. That was in July.
He has a hotrock, which hasn't been a brilliant investment but he's back on it now

stirk

Burner
That looks a good thing Stirk. Simillar looking frame to the Hotwalk. Saddle looks like it gets down really low too. Worth a try for $99.
I popped into Amart had a look and bought the flight, it looks great, massive welds which I chuckled at but for the dosh it certainly looks great and didn't feel too heavy.

I'll put it together, take some pics and weigh it for those interested.

stirk

Burner
Now the balance bike has been unpackaged I can share more info.

The flight from Amart is a good little bike.

It weighs 4 kg which does not feel heavy and no issue for almost 3 year old girl to pickup to ride.

The welds are great and over all quality good. Headset and wheel bearings are crude but I guess they don't need to be silky smooth on a balance bike.

Grippy tubed tyres on heavy hubs add to the weight but I reckon this thing could handle poodle doing some dj on it its that solid.

The platforms for the feet to rest on have grip tape and make a very good little foot rest.

For the money I think it's on par with others that cost alot more.

IMG_20151225_123513.jpg

IMG_20151225_123553.jpg

IMG_20151225_123723.jpg

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Now the balance bike has been unpackaged I can share more info.

The flight from Amart is a good little bike.

It weighs 4 kg which does not feel heavy and no issue for almost 3 year old girl to pickup to ride.

The welds are great and over all quality good. Headset and wheel bearings are crude but I guess they don't need to be silky smooth on a balance bike.

Grippy tubed tyres on heavy hubs add to the weight but I reckon this thing could handle poodle doing some dj on it its that solid.

The platforms for the feet to rest on have grip tape and make a very good little foot rest.

For the money I think it's on par with others that cost alot more.

View attachment 323238

View attachment 323239

View attachment 323240
No bell?

Looks quite well made

takai

Eats Squid
So my little man has been loving his Cruzee, but keeps going to put his feet up on the chainstays and hitting the rear wheel along the way. So going to need something with feet rests. The Flight seems to have disappeared, so its pretty much down to the DK or the Hotwalk.

What do you reckon is the go? Im leaning towards the Hotwalk currently.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
So my little man has been loving his Cruzee, but keeps going to put his feet up on the chainstays and hitting the rear wheel along the way. So going to need something with feet rests. The Flight seems to have disappeared, so its pretty much down to the DK or the Hotwalk.

What do you reckon is the go? Im leaning towards the Hotwalk currently.
My boy loves the Hotwalk. Bike is solid and everything still smooth with no play after prob 5yrs of abuse via 2 kids. Platforms are big and solid. My boy learnt how to endo, bunny hop and flip manuals on that thing...... He's nearly 6 and still like to rip round on it. Think I'll keep it for my grandkids,,,,, hehe.

Mail Man

Likes Dirt
Foot rest vs none

Hi All,

Tried to read the whole thread but stopped around pg 9, so I am sorry if it was covered and I missed it.

I was interested in the First Bike (great bit of marketing that vid) but I started thinking about foot rests and teaching the kid to stand up over rough terrain. I do see most walk bikes don't have dedicated foot rests (outside the Hot walk), so is it a perceived issue from me or should we have foot rests?

Who has them and who doesn't? Do your kids have issues on the rough stuff? Do I naively think my kid will be riding rough enough terrain that needs him to stand up?

It is a Christmas gift this year and he about to turn 1 but we live in North America so he cant use it until May 2017 and he will be 1.5 yrs old. Both his birthday and Christmas is in winter so it makes summer toys hard to buy for.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fair question, none I've seen an answer to. At a guess simply more design, materials, weight and $$ they'd need to pass on to customers. So some choose to, some don't.

Would it be beneficial, not sure.

Why won't they be able to use it until 1.5? is that a thing in the US?