Kids laptop advice

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Give up on the chromebook already ... Sigh .... Yes they are cheap but they are an obscure operating system that is difficult to use main stream stuff on many printers won't work on it a lot of games won't run on it. Chromebooks are for productivity in office environments. If your kid tells his mates for his birthday he got a chromebook the other kids will punch him in the face, tell him he is adopted and that if you loved him you would have got him a computer....
Spoken like a true computer retailer :thumb:

But he's only using it for school work, minecraft and cyber bullying, Shirley it meets all the requirements.

Minlak

custom titis
Spoken like a true computer retailer :thumb:

But he's only using it for school work, minecraft and cyber bullying, Shirley it meets all the requirements.
Spoken like a true hipster Linux user..... Look at me look at me I use an obscure operating system that I can't get support or drivers for .... :mmph:

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Spoken like a true hipster Linux user..... Look at me look at me I use an obscure operating system that I can't get support or drivers for .... :mmph:
Hey that's me!!!

Plenty of drivers, and who needs support if you know how to type a question into google, then cut and paste? :llama:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
That little penguin fuck confuses the fuck outta me.......

I can't even get my pos laptop to install the windows 8.1 update it keeps telling me it will have a stroke without.

Minlak

custom titis
That little penguin fuck confuses the fuck outta me.......

I can't even get my pos laptop to install the windows 8.1 update it keeps telling me it will have a stroke without.
I love windows 8.1 update at $170 bucks a pop to fix the problem of it not wanting to update I am going to retire early probably do 10 a week at least.... Woot

stirk

Burner
Fujitsu AH552 15.6" Screen Intel i5-3230M, 4GB Ram, 500GB Hard Drive, DVD-RW, Windows 8 with a splash resistant keyboard works great about 8 months old $450 I have this second hand for sale was my daughters laptop she upgraded.

If you don't know what a chromebook is just don't
Moorey this is not a bad offer.
Good spec which retailed for over $1000 when first released.
Big screen, not too heavy, DVD drive is useful for movies when travelling. Spend the rest of the money on good antivirus software.

If you can get a further discount for the effort to disinfect all Minlak's spoof off it then a bargain!

Minlak

custom titis
Moorey this is not a bad offer.
Good spec which retailed for over $1000 when first released.
Big screen, not too heavy, DVD drive is useful for movies when travelling. Spend the rest of the money on good antivirus software.

If you can get a further discount for the effort to disinfect all Minlak's spoof off it then a bargain!
Lol not off my 16 yr old daughters laptop... Not that close a family :)

stirk

Burner
She is not aloud a boy friend until I am dead and cold in the ground..... :)
The quiet boyfriends are the ones to look out for - the loud ones at least you can hear them getting up to naughty.

Back to the Laptop question, Moorey,

If you see the word Celeron in the CPU spec list and a cheap price move along, it means low spec and slow.
As someone else said CPU made by Intel,i3 is ok, i5 better and i7 best. At the age of 7 with what your boy is going to do Intel i3 is ok for a couple of years.
4GB RAM is the minimum I reckon if running Windows 8.
You don't need a DVD drive but they can be handy especially with kids, movies, Magazine DVD's.

New this isn't bad with reasonable spec and connectivity.

http://www.shopbot.com.au/pp-toshiba-satellite-pro-c50-i3-4005u-psclva-001001-price-482040.html

or a refurbished one a little better

http://www.oo.com.au/Toshiba-Satell...N-PSKLWA-006002-R&CA_6C15C=730008540000596228

Personally I'd talk to Minlak

Fruitbat

Likes Dirt
I am struggling with the idea that a thread that involves Moorey, kids, advice and "laptops" hasn't degenerated into...well you know what I mean!

stirk

Burner
........... :tsk:
Nah I can see it now.

Knock on door to pick up Minlak's daughter for a date.
Door opens.
Minlak is standing their in a towel.
He mistakes me for a Jehovah's Witness.
Towel drops to floor.

Can't delete that shit off my brains RAM.