Kindle 6" or 9.7"

TonyG

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a Kindle, I'm undecided ont he 6" or 9.7". I know a few of you have purchased them on here, which one did you get and why??
Not overly fussed on price, so it's really just on ease of use. Is it more practical to go with the smaller one as it's easier to carry, over the larger font of the larger model.

Cheers,

scblack

Leucocholic
Go the bigger one, more flexible and its not that huge at all.

BUT my suggestion is to spend just $200 more (approx) and get an iPad2. You can buy and read books on that just as well, and have a MUCH more useful device.

TonyG

Likes Dirt
Go the bigger one, more flexible and its not that huge at all.

BUT my suggestion is to spend just $200 more (approx) and get an iPad2. You can buy and read books on that just as well, and have a MUCH more useful device.
Thanks Lyle,

Yep, I thought about the Ipad too. However, it's just starting to get too big for reading on the train.

nickdos

Likes Dirt
I'd only get the bigger Kindle if you plan on reading a lot of books in PDF format (text books and tech books often fall into this category). PDFs don't scale well on the small kindle so you have to scroll left-right as well up-down. Otherwise I recon the smaller Kindle is fine for reading normal ebooks and being smaller and lighter is lot easier to carry in a bag or hold with one hand in bed, etc.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
As far as ebooks go the kindle shites all over the ipad. No eye-straining backlight, the battery lasts weeks on a single charge (essential for travelling and longhaul flights), you can just drag and drop files and books from any computer without having to dick around with itunes, its small enough to fit in a jacket pocket, weighs less than a paperback, if you are a clumsy oaf who stands on it whilst getting out of the bath, Amazon will replace it no questions asked and due to it being button operated, as opposed to touchscreen you can chuck it in a waterproof pouch and read it in the bath,spa or pool (which is what I've spent all afternoon doing!)

I'd go for the 6" though as its better for carrying around and its still the same size as a standard book page.

Oh, you might be able to claim it on tax as well. My one has more than enough .pdfs of Australian Standards, procedures and equipment manuals to justify that!

Id also get a skin from gelaskins as it is a bit of an ugly bugger

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Apple got busted using child labour in their factories in slave labour conditions.

Go kindle, something built for a sole purpose will do it better. And apple is satan.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Apple got busted using child labour in their factories in slave labour conditions.

Go kindle, something built for a sole purpose will do it better. And apple is satan.
My waterproof ipod shuffle has stopped working, all the music on my old iphone has vanished and now my ipod classic has just shat itself and refuses to acknowledge any of the 80Gb of tunes on it. What makes it worse is Im on holiday and need tunes for chilling in my hammock. Thankfully I've got a new android ph so i should be able to nick some mp3's from the bar but Im afraid the love affair with Apple is over...

Cypher

Likes Dirt
I have a Kobo and I am quite happy with it; simple and lasts a long time. But I'd like a larger screen - you can read more before having to turn the page (the Kobos do this flashing thing - not a quick page turn). Also PDFs would be easier to read too.

My only beef is that it is stupidly difficult to get Australian authors in epub format. They have to be absolute blockbusters. The publishing groups in Australia are shite.

IIITAK3NIII

Likes Dirt
I have the 6" version and couldn't be happier, I have never thought "I wish it was bigger" (That's what she said :single_eye:) I got it for it's compact size mostly. Because you can change the font size on a kindle I don't see the point in getting a larger one unless you are planning to read pdf documents then the extra size may come in handy.

I would never get an ipad for reading, too much glare and not even comparable to a kindle imo.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Thankfully I've got a new android ph so i should be able to nick some mp3's from the bar but Im afraid the love affair with Apple is over...
Android tabs for reading ebooks? Toshiba tab, got one here (not mine, not into the whole idea of having another phone but bigger) and they run harder and faster than any iShit.

TonyG

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys, I've decided to go with the 6" version. POSM I think being able to stick it in a pocket is what gets me over the line. And being so simple suits my clumsy technical skills to the ground.