Kinglake Vico - Can You Push Part 2?

Wednesday

Likes Dirt
I just had my first dh ride up at Kinglake today after posting "Kinglake Vico - Can You Push" last week. A big thanks to those whom passed on their info and two cents worth.
Nailed everything on the top section except for that newish looking ramped MOFO gap jump (have to work up to that one). Yep.

My next question is, where does the second section start/finish and can you push it within reason?

When i finish the first section before i pull back onto Bowden Spur Road there looks to be a tight decending switch back to the left of the rutted single track. I had a walk down a bit and it seems to wander off into the unknown and looks overgrown.
However i noticed a number of tyre marks through that section of cleared land thats been opened up by machinery just on the lower side of Bowden Spur Road (fenced off) all heading down.
Just confused where the second section actually goes???

I found the push from the first section very easy. If the second section comes back onto Bowden Spur Road, how far down is it?
Has anyone done this?
Im looking for a new dh ride at the moment so my Specialized Pitch has to fill the gap. It handled the first section ok but the best thing is that i can ride back up Bowden Spur Road with a bit of effort (beats the shit out of pushing).

Any info or direction would be greatly appreciated.
I know that shuttles are the way to go at Kinglake, however my riding crews numbers are dwindling and/or obsessed with riding moto.
For me, push is the go unless i bribe the GF to shuttle me.
Thanks again,
Drew.

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Drew. Like you I'm not in any hurry to hit that wooden gap jump. At the end of the first section it looks as though someone's been doing some building down the steep section to the left. It doesn't go far at the moment and, as you pointed out, kinda just peters out.

The next section starts as you come out of the bushes at the end of section one, cross over the open, dusty section, then the track starts again. There's a nice ridge line that's fast and open with a couple of small hits on it that ends up back on Bowden Spur road a bit further down. I've done it three without a shuttle and every time I've kicked myself afterwards wondering when I'll learn it's not worth it. I think the reason is this. It's quite fun but because it's also quite a fast section. Result? You cover a lot of ground quickly and it's over almost before you know it. The push is the opposite. It's steep and arduous and, to me, doesn't justify the run down.

The two sections after it are really good fun too but at that point you're probably talking about 3-4 minutes of downhill. That's a bloody long climb back up.

Sputnick

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am wanting to ride kinglake, But is it fully built?
Is it worth driving out there from SE Melb?
What does it compare to the Youyangs?
Thanks

Nick

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I am wanting to ride kinglake, But is it fully built?
Is it worth driving out there from SE Melb?
What does it compare to the Youyangs?
Thanks

Nick
One hell of a fun track, if you haven't ridden Kingers.....you haven't lived.:D
Way different to YY. No rock gardens, some wicked little jumps and fast open sections. And the best thing about kingers......shuttles!

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
To add a fairly easy track (top parts not so much bottom) but non the less still awesome fun. It tends so stay in pretty good condition for the amount of riding it gets each week. Just wait till it is fully overhauled :) Just watch those blind corners on the shuttles roads I've had some very close near misses. To those riding please dont build anything more just wait till the build weekends are on.

Keyroo

Likes Bikes
taht wooden ramp gap thing isnt' finished is it?! when i've been there it has been blocked off, i figured they were going ot put a flat northshore there, use the ramp at the start as a kind of step up onto the flat then ride down that wooden down ramp and then the dirt gap (which i don't think the landing is finished yet either by the look of it)

pretty keen to see what is going to built there!

Keyroo

Likes Bikes
shall do :)

my mate and i are regulars to kinglake, ti's the closest decent track to us (legal one anyway)

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
taht wooden ramp gap thing isnt' finished is it?! when i've been there it has been blocked off, i figured they were going ot put a flat northshore there, use the ramp at the start as a kind of step up onto the flat then ride down that wooden down ramp and then the dirt gap (which i don't think the landing is finished yet either by the look of it)

pretty keen to see what is going to built there!
i hope not......no one should be building anything there with wood. In fact, no one should be building out there yet.

Wednesday

Likes Dirt
Thanks all for the information.
Obviously the second section is an absolute nogo in terms of pushing and i will heed the warnings (maybe try just once) Thanks.
Will get the GF to shuttle me in the future otherwise the top section is fun to nail with the given limitations of my bike.
So the second section is down that cleared land on the low side of Bowden Spur Road and not the switch backs?
Guess i will just have to explore and follow my nose?
Otherwise hope to catch some crew riding up there some time and/or help out on these build days in the future.
Thanks again!

Keyroo

Likes Bikes
have you been there lately and seen it? i really don't think ti's kids just building stuff, this is well built, pretty sure it's got something to do with whats being planned, well i hope so anyway because it looks awesome