knee guards/braces ??

crim 87

Likes Dirt
hey guys just wondering whos's wearing what types ?? i was looking for something light and flexible with plenty of support not really fussed on having any massive caps over knee any extra protection is a bonus. i was thinking maybe 661 or fox i was also wondering if anyone know any shops in Melbourne that stock some wouldn't mind trying a few on cheers

Yep

Squid
Hey crim,

I have used a pair of Fox Launch knee pads and they are awesome, they never slide up and down even on rides around the 30km mark they don't even feel like they are on. I've had them for about 2 yrs and had no issue with them yet and are showing no signs of wear. I've had a couple of heavy stacks in them aswell and they don't move.

Cheap too, around $65 from memory.

Hope this helps mate.

crim 87

Likes Dirt
thanks heaps mate yeah thats awsome was wondering how they went on long rides cause they do look fairly bulky and i do often do some longer rides. do you feel they offer much stability cause i have been getting a little knee pain on recent rides or are they more orientated for crashes and impact ??

ldodd

Squid
I find POC knee - elbow guards good. Go for the fabric ones. They are compact and I have used them on long rides , you can pedal freely and they have saved me from some serious skin loss.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm running the GForm ones. They're very light, cost about $70 from Ride On in Kew (must be other places that sell them).
You won't know you're wearing them and they're fine for XC. Any more AM or Downhill type and I think it's asking too much of them.

They're so slender, you can wear them under full length Knicks.

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
POC knee gaurds.
Super comfy and light.
You forget your wearing them... until you crash!

dukemasterpro

Likes Dirt
Where can I buy POCs in Sydney? Old ones ( vpd 1.0 ) have ripped after 2 years and would like to try, buy and swap if necessary.

Yep

Squid
Hey crim,

The fox pads I was talking about don't really provide much structual support for the knee they are more for impact protection. I also suffer a little bit of knee pain on longer rides but I got around that by using Rocktape under the pads to support the knee joint itself and it works a treat. I think anything more heavy duty like a full brace type system like mx'ers use would be to restrictive seeing as though we have to be able to pedal and they don't.

As for the g form pads, I myself perservered with them for about a month before they shit me to tears and I threw them away! I bought the recommended size for me and they fit great for about 2weeks and then became loose, I also had a medium paced stack in them and still lost bark off the knees, because they are so light weight and only held up by Lycra the second you slide in them they ride up or down your leg. Maybe good for the first point of impact but if your sliding, not so good (can you tell I ride in w.a pea gravel)

Anyway, good luck with you choice bud,

Cheers.

crim 87

Likes Dirt
thanks heaps guys i am going with the fox's for now the poc and kalis looked nice to but the poc were fairly pricey. i really like fox gear (gloves,shorts,jerseys,helmets etc) so i chose them can't wait hopefully they arrive in time before the weekend cheers