Knee/shin pads for urban (like 661)

ona rampage

Likes Dirt
Hey all,
I know there has been 301 questions on knee/shin pads, so here comes 302....
Santa has promised to bring me some if I can tell him (?) what I want....
Have been looking at the 661 pads (the 4x4, the ones without the hard plastic shell), which I think retail at $99.....anyone had experience with these? Are there better products out there?
I am not doing any DH so I don't think I need full on pads with the hard plastic; looking for something more versatile/pedal friendly.
Also, the roach equivalent seem to get a good rap, but are they available in Sydney, and if so where & how much?
I have also seen the armadillo pads, but they didn't impress me (didn't seem at all thick, especially at the knee, so if you dropped to your knees I think they would take a hit).
Anyone?

Rik

logged out
Roach pads are available from anyone that deals with Advance Traders (ie, merida/raceface/indi stockists), and they're a little bit more than the 661 gear.

Rik

logged out
I've only played with the Roach pads, and they impressed me, but I cannot compare them to 661 as I've had no experience.
As for price difference, I think $20-30 or so, depending which model you compare.

ona rampage

Likes Dirt
got an e-mail back from Advance traders; they don't import the pads that I am looking for.
So, any 661 owners out there, how are they?

tj

Likes Dirt
mine r pretty good except they rip real easy the fox ones r ur best bet i know people who hav em the seem to hav stronger material.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
Dickyknee has a pair and he loves them dearly... but i found they were to hot and too restrictive for riding... have a look at dainese pads... more venty with less chance to slide down your legs...

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
01_250 said:
can you take the extra time to put an "e" on the end of hav etc. because i cant understand what that ^^^ says.

Cheers
geez some people :roll: :lol:
Mine are pretty good except they rip really easily. The fox ones are your best bet, i know people who have them and they seem to have stronger material.

tj

Likes Dirt
I am very sorry that I did not use correct spelling and grammar. :roll: . :lol: .

Regards,Tommy.

wombat

Lives in a hole
I've got a set of 4x4s. They're not bad, they're very light and not very restrictive but they are damn hot.