Kneepads. What are you using?

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Currently looking in to Kneepads that you can pedal with. A slight OTB left me with a nice deep gash under my knee. Now I have a couple of weeks off the bike to let it heal properly.

What I am looking at is a pad with good articulation, protection(obviously!) and reasonable breathability as I live in the tropics.

Anyone recommend a hard shell over the gform style? The riding is general trail, techy singletrack. I have a set of hardshell knee/shin pads for DH style days.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I'm using 661 Rage.

Quite bulky, never used them in summer (off with injury) so I can't comment on how they go there.

But they've saved my knees a number of times (soft version) and I've never had troubles riding with them on all day.

That being said, it still feels great to take them off at the end of the day, haha.

haltz

Likes Dirt
Yeah recently started running the fox enduros, comfy and cool, using them for even just xc style rides as well seeing there's no reason not to

duneblazer

Likes Bikes
Dainese trailskins - Very happy with them, on the lighter side of pads but still decent impact protection, have done 30+km peddle days with no rubbing or real discomfort.

John U

MTB Precision
In all my years of stacking I've never busted up my knees. Hips, yes, shoulder, yes, forearm, yes, elbow, yes, shin, once, but saved by knee/shin guard on that occasion, head, yes, knocked out, helmet might have saved my life, calf, occasionally. Knees, no.

Here's touching wood that it continues that way for the old knees. Can any report similar?

teK--

Eats Squid
I've used many different knee and elbow pads over the year and found the following to be the best criteria

1) soft shell but with impact reacting foam (VPD, D30, etc etc) is comfortable for all-round use and gives good protection against rocks

2) Need a strap on top and bottom to keep in place otherwise it can slide off in a crash and do jack shit.

3) For long rides go for the lightweight lycra sock type such as G-form.

Currently using

IXS Carve (AM/DH):
1382006026434-kul4ln5tks70-700-80.jpg

Face Face Charger (XC):
RaceFaceChargerPads.jpg

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I've used many different knee and elbow pads over the year and found the following to be the best criteria

1) soft shell but with impact reacting foam (VPD, D30, etc etc) is comfortable for all-round use and gives good protection against rocks

2) Need a strap on top and bottom to keep in place otherwise it can slide off in a crash and do jack shit.

3) For long rides go for the lightweight lycra sock type such as G-form.
Basically what teK says. I use POC vpd 2.0 knees for everything.

If you are going to go with g-forms, You will want to try them on because the sizing can be tricky. I liked the padding on the g-forms but not the lycra sock part.

If you are cool with burlier pads, go with POC. I can wear them for hours on end, they stay in place and they have saved my knees a number of times.

SDA

Likes Dirt
Troy Lee KG 5400. No problems wearing for 20-30 km rides.. even in middle of summer. Buy small as there are no straps.

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
Dainese trailskins - Very happy with them, on the lighter side of pads but still decent impact protection, have done 30+km peddle days with no rubbing or real discomfort.
Had mine for a year now. So comfy and resilient. Have been through the wash, ridden 50km days in summer and they still seem like new. I ended up getting the elbow ones too after a few nasty injuries, but they stay in my pack during the climb until I'm about to drop into a designated AM or DH track.

Had no rubbing and next to no slip. They also have some side padding which is rare on such light soft knee pads. I've taken a few falls on them and they have saved my knees from injury. They ventilate really well in part because of the honeycomb pad at the front. I rate them highly.

I still use my TLD pads for pure DH days though.

JBR

Likes Dirt
Basically what teK says. I use POC vpd 2.0 knees for everything.

If you are going to go with g-forms, You will want to try them on because the sizing can be tricky. I liked the padding on the g-forms but not the lycra sock part.

If you are cool with burlier pads, go with POC. I can wear them for hours on end, they stay in place and they have saved my knees a number of times.
On the g-forms.... whilst they are comfy and offer protection from superficial crashes, I still managed to impact fracture my kneecap and tibial plateau whilst wearing them during an average ride at stromlo.

Granted yes, without wearing them the injury would have been significantly worse and they did absorb alot of the energy of the impact, I now where are a much stouter set of POC ones all the time. I am not going through that again if I can avoid it! The doctor informed we if it had been that little bit worse I was in artificial knee territory... and thats game over

Chose your protection to suit your riding and the locations you ride....

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Been using flesh for trailriding lately.
Can be a little uncomfortable post crash, but they are comfortable riding, don't make it hot and are the best I've found for pedaling. Can be difficult after rock impacts with some leakage and lack of mobility, but they are self healing....Most of the time.

When I'm scared I use POC or Fox Launch Pro, depending on my mood. The POC feel snug and my knees get quite sweaty, not had a big enough crash to fully test them. I find the Fox more comfortable but I have had one move in a decent crash and ended up with leakage.

Last edited:

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I use the Race Face Flank knee / shin with the D-30.

They feel a little flimsy at first, but the offer really good protection, equal to any hard pads I've used and they're much more comfortable. They mould to the shape of your legs and get more comfortable over time too.

The have a good strap system and a terri towling back, which you'd think would heat up, but they keep pretty cool.

I've had a few good off's on them and the covers have held up well, with no tears or rips and they stay in place much better than any of the hard shells I've used before.

I used them on every ride, due to dodgy knees, XC, AM, DH everything and they're easy to pedal with and still stay in place on 2+ hour rides.

Initially they were a bit more than I was looking at spending, but they're worth it!

newish

Squid
I use POC knee/shin guard combo.

I used them for about 6 rides and haven't touched them since as they are so bulky.
And get super hot in summer temps.

On the look out for something more comfy. Good thread

Daetmi3

Likes Bikes
Knee Guards

661's 4x4 knee / shin guards. They look big and bulky but once they're on you have no idea you have them on. Pedal really well, great air flow, don't move much as they have 3 big Velcro tabs and protect your whole leg from knee to ankle.

MTBcrash

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We use G Form knee pads and find them great. Good in summer and often wear them in winter just to keep the knees warm since they are so light, comfy and pedal friendly. You forget you have them on and they work great if you make a mistake and bin it.....