Kona 24hr?

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
Why aren't people talking this event up? It would seem all the NSW races get a good mention... This event sounds great, anyone been?

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
awesome event

The boys went down there last year and said it was one of the better 24hrs they have been too.
Especially the way they break up the track into 3 parts.
I'd go but it's a long way for me to and not finish. : )

I guess this site is very NSWcentric (SP)

I am hanging out for the NZ 24 though, I really want to do that one.

tjb

Likes Dirt
Why aren't people talking this event up? It would seem all the NSW races get a good mention... This event sounds great, anyone been?
The big names are too busy worrying to be able to blog about it!

Word is the track is excellent. Say hi to JulienR for me.

akashra

Eats Squid
Is there a 24HOA qualifier in NZ? Do you have to be from the host country to qualify at a 24HOA qualifier event?

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Is there a 24HOA qualifier in NZ?
Yes - check out the 24 HOA website for a list of qualifying events.

Do you have to be from the host country to qualify at a 24HOA qualifier event?
No. Well, overseas riders can qualify from the 2 qualifying events that CORC runs, anyhow. (The Scott Australian 24Hr MTB Champs and the Easter Australian Solo 24Hr MTB Champs).

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Sadly, I think Farkin has become a NSW dominated site. BV Forum, Full Gas Forum and some others have been talking about it.

The Kona is the BEST (not the biggest) 24 in Aus...

It's a pity many Sydney/Canberra siders seem to think that Vic is a long way to travel... I never see any shortage of Victorians at races in NSW I go to... nevermind.

There is a MASSIVE shortage of serious Solo female entrants too... surely there are a few good female NSW/ACT riders around? No?

Forrest is in AWESOME condition too... you are going to love it.

adz

Likes Dirt
There is a MASSIVE shortage of serious Solo female entrants too... surely there are a few good female NSW/ACT riders around? No?

Perhaps RED RACERS wife should enter as well?

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
It's a pity many Sydney/Canberra siders seem to think that Vic is a long way to travel... I never see any shortage of Victorians at races in NSW I go to... nevermind.
but that is the problem... it's a shame because i'd love to do the kona, but i can't quite justify spending 15hrs+ driving (there and back) and taking 3 days off work for it, let alone finding a few like minded friends to join me :(

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
but that is the problem... it's a shame because i'd love to do the kona, but i can't quite justify spending 15hrs+ driving (there and back) and taking 3 days off work for it, let alone finding a few like minded friends to join me :(
My point is... Victorians do that all the time... Even within Victoria. We make a weekend of it. That's what MTB racing in Aus is ALL about.

For the Scott, I think we had almost 20 people travel up together... left Thursday and drove back Monday. Was an AWESOME time.

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Roadtrip!!!
MTB Racing, is just an excuse we use for Roadtrips! We love a roadtrip...

Check out these pics for a few from our Scott24 trip

Time for you Sydney siders to check out the Hume I reakon... it's a very easy drive... I know it's too late for the Kona24, but there are plenty of other races down here in Vic

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
I agree, the road trip is half the fun, check out Team Riddlers video of our trip to the last Mont 24 featured on the Mont site
http://mont24.com.au/race/?IntCatId=3&IntContId=7631

See you all at the Kona for Riddler domination (in beer drinking, maybe not riding)
Hey Tomma... are you arriving Friday? If so, make sure you and your gang come and check out our little Feral Race on Friday night.

See you then

Oh bye the way... check out www.rideforrest.com.au for a video preview of the Kona course.

Last edited:

tomma

Likes Bikes
Plan is to be there in time to do the ferals race. The Riddlers are all pumped to get over to Forrest and can't wait for the shenanigans to start!

Ferals race then straight down to the pub for a bit of grub and a few too many jugs!

See you all there :)

adz

Likes Dirt
Hey Normous,

that photo where i am at the front holding that jersey. I have no recollection of that moment, or whose jersey that is, or how it came to be in my hands...hmmmm...thats a bit scary!

Adz

thematrix

Likes Dirt
24 too long , ottway od wrong direction.

hey I think the Kona is just too long.
24 hour racing is a huge commitment and really the average Jo mtber like me can really only do one a year even as a team member.
If the Kona in forest was a 12 hour I am sure many more people would enter. i know about 5 other riders who all decided not to race the Kona 24 this year for the same reason.
I would love to race at forest but don't want to race a 24 hour so close to xmas and also really love sleeping.
Also a 24 hour race means monday off work recovering sleeping etc. just a huge commitment.
I think we should leave the scott and mont as the icon 24 hour race and make the Kona a 12.
Forest is a great venue but the two races run there don't interest me.
The Ottway Od 100km is run in the wrong direction.
If it started in forest and ran through the great single track trails and then headed off to Apollo bay imagine riding out of the forest and seeing the sea on the horizon and then decending into the town. that would be an Icon event that people would travel for. At present it is a boring hard slog up long hills and by the time you make it to the single track you are too stuffed to enjoy them..
Interested in other peoples views.