Kona Honzo

Z

Zaf

With Mint355's help, finished the build for this last night.

2015 Kona Honzo (Large)

Pikes, e*thirteen TRS+, Flow EX/Hope wheels, XT drivetrain and a whole lot of fun.

Z

Zaf

So far is pretty fun!
The pikes came with two tokens in it standard, which I've since pulled out. It was ramping up way too much, now feels very plush and pushing through nicely without bottoming.

Taking a lot of getting used to being back on a hardtail, legs killing me after the ride.

The ride feels great, so much traction, well spaced cockpit, turns in beautifully.
Not sure if it was my legs getting used to the hardtail again, but by the end of the ride I was feeling tired pedaling it around. But the heavy pedaling want apparent until much later in the ride.

swatto90

Likes Dirt
So far is pretty fun!
The pikes came with two tokens in it standard, which I've since pulled out. It was ramping up way too much, now feels very plush and pushing through nicely without bottoming.

Taking a lot of getting used to being back on a hardtail, legs killing me after the ride.

The ride feels great, so much traction, well spaced cockpit, turns in beautifully.
Not sure if it was my legs getting used to the hardtail again, but by the end of the ride I was feeling tired pedaling it around. But the heavy pedaling want apparent until much later in the ride.
Is the frame itself really stiff or a bit forgiving?

Z

Zaf

Actually, quite stiff in a weird way.
I've ridden Mint355's Explosif, and that was half of the reason I wanted to a grab an AM Hardtail, but I wanted 29er hoops on it.

The seat stays are flattened out, by the looks of things, to give me vertical compliance. But I think a product of that tiny length and the huge joins makes it hard for the stays to flex much over terrain. This bike doesn't have the softer steel ride that the Explosif does. There were moments, and admittedly they came when I least expected it, hitting things at speed and then just thinking, "I didn't feel any of that!"

My pressures were a bit high and the fork was riding harsh due to the mix of too much pressure and bottom out tokens making it ramp up too early. I'm guessing it'll feel much better in a few rides when I've sorted out the riding style and dialed her in.

Also... The seat tube has a port for stealth routed dropper... But then the only cable guides are along the top tube. There are two weirdly placed bolts towards the head tube (in the down tube) but the bike didn't come with any sort of cable routing options that could be screwed onto the frame.

Current Bike setup is:

Forks: Rockshox Pike RCT3 140mm, 51mm offset. 100psi no tokens.
Cranks: E*Thirteen TRS+ 170mm
Pedals: Shimano XT M786 Trail​
Chainring: E*Thirteen 32t GuideringM direct mount​
Bottom Bracket: E*Thirteen XCX+ 73mm Threaded​
Wheels:
Hubs:Hope Pro 2 EVO, 32h​
Rims: Stans Flow EX​
Spokes: DT Swiss Champion​
Tyres:
Front: Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 EXO TR, 14PSI​
Rear: Maxxis Ikon 2.35 EXO TR 3C, 20PSI​
Shifter: Shimano M820 Saint
Derailleur: Shimano M785 XT Medium Cage
Headset: Cane Creek 40 Series
Handlebars: Race Face Atlas 35, 800mm
Stem: Race Face Atlas 35, 50mm
Seatpost: Bontrager Rythm Elite 31.6 (I also have a Truvativ Noir Team Carbon coming and a Rockshox Reverb 125mm)
Saddle: TBA (Still changing it about)
Grips: ODI Ruffian

I was running 20/28PSI in my original setup, but with the high volume HUGE 29er tyres, it rode really harsh.

Last edited by a moderator:

8738br

Likes Bikes
how do you find the 140 fork? have you ridden it with a 120? Mine came with a 120 but i was thinking 140 would be a better option for what this bike makes you want to do with it

Z

Zaf

I went with 140mm and a 51mm which keeps an almost identical trail measurement.
I've not run it with 120mm,but the bike feels brilliant now. Starting to get a hang of it, got a top 10 on a descent tonight on strava with it. Steering feels really intuitive and direct.

Just needed to get the hang of getting out of the saddle a bit more, the Yeti has taught me some bad habits with lazy seated pedalling.

8738br

Likes Bikes
I went with 140mm and a 51mm which keeps an almost identical trail measurement.
I've not run it with 120mm,but the bike feels brilliant now. Starting to get a hang of it, got a top 10 on a descent tonight on strava with it. Steering feels really intuitive and direct.

Just needed to get the hang of getting out of the saddle a bit more, the Yeti has taught me some bad habits with lazy seated pedalling.
sweet, might have to put that on my list of upgrades. Rad bike indeed

Z

Zaf

Single speed and carbon wheels.
I had these left over from the Stumpy after that got a Light Bicycle treatment. Got some free hubs for it and then decided to go single speed.
It's currently 32-16 with the oval ring. Also got it some slick decals for the forks, might get the wheels a similar treatment soon.

Otherwise, Ardent 2.4's are the order of business and mashing.

Single speed is not something I've done for many years, hand keeps Phantom shifting and looking for gears. Great fun bike to ride though!

Z

Zaf

So the Honzo is a little over a year old now and clocked a little over 2000km on trails.
One of the easiest bikes I've ever owned, and this tax return she's gonna get some love. Maintenance wise, there have been no issues with the frame, I did have a bearing on my freehub explore recently, but that was just a quick replace to get going, and not really a fault of the bikes. This is my go to bike for wet weather (I know, Alice Springs, but we've had some pretty interesting weather over this past 12 months) just because of how easy it is to live with. I did do a big strip down after the first really wet ride, but it wasn't needed looking at how well it resisted the elements.
It's actually still running the exact same Maxxis Minion 2.5 that I first mounted on the bike (barring a small 200km stint of single speeding with the Roval Carbon's), it's a little worn down and ragged, but I'm keeping it on now just to see how far I can get with it. When I say ragged, the shoulder knobs a little mottled (none ripped yet) and the centre knobs are a little flatter, but hat off to Maxxis on that one. Not often I get 2000km out of a tyre. Even the Ikon that it started with saw it through half of it's life, slashing out on a rock at the 1300km mark.

She runs silently as well, the only noise is a satisfying ping of rocks off the steel and some occasional tapping of the chain on the chainstays through rough stuff.

This is one of the best bikes to ride out here as well, and although it is the absolute cliche, she pedals WAY lighter than her numbers imply...significantly lighter. With the big rubbers and a heavy Nukeproof Oklo on her and the older Flow EX with 2.5 and 2.4 maxxis rubbers front and rear, she's a hefty 15.5kg. I've started to build a bit more confidence with jumping and hopping the bikes around, and that's when i notice the weight the most, at current weight she's a littler harder to get off the earth.

Pure riding fun though, and I think that's saying something given my stable has her sitting next to S-Work's Stumpjumpers, Yeti's and top spec Canyon's. It's plain old dumb fun and rewarding, it's not always easy, and it does make you work a little harder to hold speed, but Kona absolutely hit the nail on the head with this bike (although, honestly, get the 140mm fork for it because it's just nuts all slacked out).

Anyway, come my return I'll grab her some new wheels, get the fork serviced and possibly refresh the drive train (I've got a pretty blue Chris King BB that got taken off the Yeti when I retired it and the X01 crankset all black and pretty as well)...shit I've even got some carbon handlebars sitting around that wouldn't go astray.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Hey mate, just putting together some parts for a Honzo ST myself. What fork are you running?
I'm going down the Boost route, but can't decide between the much cheaper option of a Yard RC or a Fox 34 Fit4.
I want to run boost to future proof it and potentially run 650b+ , so also can't decide which rims to buy.

Z

Zaf

Hey mate, just putting together some parts for a Honzo ST myself. What fork are you running?
I'm going down the Boost route, but can't decide between the much cheaper option of a Yard RC or a Fox 34 Fit4.
I want to run boost to future proof it and potentially run 650b+ , so also can't decide which rims to buy.
I'm running a Pike RCT3 140mm with 51mm offset on it, and it's been perfect for it.
I'd be inclined to look at the DVO Diamond for the bike as well, they were on special recently, but not sure what budget you're clocking in at. Mint355 has been running the Diamond's on his Canfield EPO and they're a nice bit of kit, and due for a release in Boost soon with like an espresso finish on them (which would look damned matchy sexy on the 2016 ST frame's finish).
I hear what people have been inclined to do is get a Yari and then get the internal serviced in for an Avalanche or Push damper assembly, a quick way of getting that performance boost out of it whilst cashing in on the stiff chassis. But the Pike has been flawless, perfectly matched for the bike, and seriously recommend having it out at 140mm, bike feels great with it.

I dunno about the 650b+, I will say it's important to run the bike with a decent volume rear tyre to keep things comfortable out the back (this frame with all it's gussets was a great deal harsher in its ride than the Explosif I got to ride prior to it).

I've been running Hope Hubs laced to MK1 Stan's Flow EXs and they've been bombproof. The one spoke I've snapped was from a damaged point when a stick intervened and shifted my chain onto the spokes (that took 6months to break in proper). I'll be looking at getting some Hope Pro 4's with Easton ARC 30's as a replacement, but toying with going upmarket and getting the guys from Wheelworks NZ to make me up a pair and seeing if they can customise the decals to match the forks and frame colours.

Last edited by a moderator:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I'm running a Pike RCT3 140mm with 51mm offset on it, and it's been perfect for it.
I'd be inclined to look at the DVO Diamond for the bike as well, they were on special recently, but not sure what budget you're clocking in at. Mint355 has been running the Diamond's on his Canfield EPO and they're a nice bit of kit, and due for a release in Boost soon with like an espresso finish on them (which would look damned matchy sexy on the 2016 ST frame's finish).
I hear what people have been inclined to do is get a Yari and then get the internal serviced in for an Avalanche or Push damper assembly, a quick way of getting that performance boost out of it whilst cashing in on the stiff chassis. But the Pike has been flawless, perfectly matched for the bike, and seriously recommend having it out at 140mm, bike feels great with it.

I dunno about the 650b+, I will say it's important to run the bike with a decent volume rear tyre to keep things comfortable out the back (this frame with all it's gussets was a great deal stiffer in its ride than the Explosif I got to ride prior to it).

I've been running Hope Hubs laced to MK1 Stan's Flow EXs and they've been bombproof. The one spoke I've snapped was from a damaged point when a stick intervened and shifted my chain onto the spokes (that took 6months to break in proper). I'll be looking at getting some Hope Pro 4's with Easton ARC 30's as a replacement, but toying with going upmarket and getting the guys from Wheelworks NZ to make me up a pair and seeing if they can customise the decals to match the forks and frame colours.
Kinda discounted DVO as they don't do a boost at the moment. I have a front hub, and it 110mm. I'm also going with Pro 4, and depending on wheel size choice, it's either DTSWISS XM551 or Stan's Flow Mk3.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for more boost options, but erring towards the Fox. I have a Pike on my SB6... and love it, but fancy something different.

Itching to get it built up...heard they're a ripper bike to ride. Also good to hear they feel lighter than the weigh, they're a heavy frame to start with!

Z

Zaf

Kinda discounted DVO as they don't do a boost at the moment. I have a front hub, and it 110mm. I'm also going with Pro 4, and depending on wheel size choice, it's either DTSWISS XM551 or Stan's Flow Mk3.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for more boost options, but erring towards the Fox. I have a Pike on my SB6... and love it, but fancy something different.

Itching to get it built up...heard they're a ripper bike to ride. Also good to hear they feel lighter than the weigh, they're a heavy frame to start with!

BUT the finish on the right would be PERFECT!!!!!
I honestly would prefer to build up Flow EX MK3's given how good all my other Flow's have been (had a pair on my Trek Fuel EX and my Yeti when I first built it), but can't seem to find anyone with them in stock. I hear good things about the Easton ARC30's, so happy to give them a shot, and they clock in at the right price as well. Think we're fairly spoiled for choice when it comes to good rims these days.

I'll keep any eye out for forks that fit the bill, but they're all going to be within a ballpark of each other performance wise, if you can get a Fox34, Pike or Diamond in the Boost spacing I'd say just go for whichever is best price at the time.

DVO Diamond and Pike RCT3 29ers are on sale at Jenson's at the moment for about $900AUD delivered though. I will say that the DVO doesn't have as much arch clearance as the Pikes from what Mint has seen, he can buzz the guard that comes with them if he mounts larger rubbers on the EPO.