Kona Operator - Crankbrothers!

.Sam

Likes Dirt
Hey guys.

I purchased this off Sash or spartan_s (rotorburn name), and would just like to say that there is not a better person to buy off. Super organised and knows his stuff. Super easy dealing with him so thankyou :)

Anyways to the bike, couldnt be happier with it. Such a nice bike to ride so smooth and corners amazingly

Spec List:
- Large Kona Operator Dh
- Crank Brothers Opiums
- 2011 Boxxer rc's
- Scram X7 derailleur
- Avid Code R
- Kona Bars (780mm)
- Tyres
F - Maxxis Minion 2.5
R - Maxxis Highroller 2.5
- Fox Van RC
- Gravity Gap cranks
- Atomlab aircorp pedals

smaller image.jpgIMG_4911.JPGIMG_4912.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

dj_14

Likes Dirt
they are very impressive rides.

once you swap out the stem for a direct mount (which you already have done) and get some nice tyres instead of the single ply Maxxis. they ride soooooooo good.

would love to get my hands on a frame......

have fun mate, ride it hard :)

.Sam

Likes Dirt
they are very impressive rides.

once you swap out the stem for a direct mount (which you already have done) and get some nice tyres instead of the single ply Maxxis. they ride soooooooo good.

would love to get my hands on a frame......

have fun mate, ride it hard :)
Thanks man. I have to finish paying off the bike to the rents before i can buy tires, but i will keep that in mind!

Looks gayyyyy
OHH FANKS BREW!

Nice ride. Loving the crank brothers wheelset!
Thanks man :) the wheels made me buy it aswell. I love them

Shredden

Knows his goats
and get some nice tyres instead of the single ply Maxxis
The man speaks truth. Sam take the dual ply minions off your hardtail and put the singles on the DH. Single plys are the reason you got a flat on your first run FFS.

.Sam

Likes Dirt
The man speaks truth. Sam take the dual ply minions off your hardtail and put the singles on the DH. Single plys are the reason you got a flat on your first run FFS.
NO it would look gay. I have the tubes in it now. Hopefully i can get some money for some new tyres soon. 2.35's look gay on a full downhill bike. Im going to stay with the single ply 2.5's for now..

dj_14

Likes Dirt
and i sold my best mate a operator with, saint upgrade, direct mount and muddy marry's. i wouldnt race that bike without those tires! simply amazing! i have a pair myself and would never go back to maxxis.

those brakes are crazy powerful. mate washed out twice after grabbing a fist full...... and you have upgraded wheels. nothing really more that you'd want to upgrade here buddy :)

dj_14

Likes Dirt
NO it would look gay. I have the tubes in it now. Hopefully i can get some money for some new tyres soon. 2.35's look gay on a full downhill bike. Im going to stay with the single ply 2.5's for now..
the maddy marry 2.35 are the same size as the 2.5 maxxis. wouldnt go the 2.5 maddy mary's they are HUGE!

.Sam

Likes Dirt
and i sold my best mate a operator with, saint upgrade, direct mount and muddy marry's. i wouldnt race that bike without those tires! simply amazing! i have a pair myself and would never go back to maxxis.

those brakes are crazy powerful. mate washed out twice after grabbing a fist full...... and you have upgraded wheels. nothing really more that you'd want to upgrade here buddy :)
I have heard those brakes are almost too powerful. I am happy with the brakes that are on it but if i could upgrade i would go saint or elixer. Do you know how much the muddy mary's are? Arn't they mud tires? How are they in the dry?

dj_14

Likes Dirt
I have heard those brakes are almost too powerful. I am happy with the brakes that are on it but if i could upgrade i would go saint or elixer. Do you know how much the muddy mary's are? Arn't they mud tires? How are they in the dry?
yer got that right. always been a avid man. im going to bias and say elixer cr's. those tyres arent cheap. because schwalbe price off how much rubber in the tyre. RRP is $100 each but im sure you could get some for 70 to 80$ each which is about the same for good maxxis. they are amazing in the wet/and as dry as melbourne has been in the last 2 months. never had a flat (dinged my rims twice on race runs at maldon) personally i dont think you can get a better tyre!

.Sam

Likes Dirt
yer got that right. always been a avid man. im going to bias and say elixer cr's. those tyres arent cheap. because schwalbe price off how much rubber in the tyre. RRP is $100 each but im sure you could get some for 70 to 80$ each which is about the same for good maxxis. they are amazing in the wet/and as dry as melbourne has been in the last 2 months. never had a flat (dinged my rims twice on race runs at maldon) personally i dont think you can get a better tyre!
Wow. They are expensive.. Might have to see how bad i need them. I will just continue saving and see what i want later. Although i do want them now. Have been looking on the internet at all the reviews. Pretty much all of them are good ones!

nice ride! wheels just make it look dope

oh and i know your number plate! i can see through whiteness ;)
That is some skill you got there. Yeah the wheels are amazing. I do find myself just staring at them sometimes :p Thanks mate

dj_14

Likes Dirt
Ahh that is better. I am pretty much set on these now. Just have to keep working and get the money. Thanks heaps for refering me to them! What size do you reckon i should get?
deffs 2.35 not 2.5, 2.5 are HUGE! they are triple compound, for about 135 bucks posted to your door cant go wrong, but try TBSM.com.au as well, they are both great bikes shops in AUS, better off supporting our own rather than the overseas guys. extra $10 isnt going to kill anyone

driftking

Wheel size expert
I have heard those brakes are almost too powerful. I am happy with the brakes that are on it but if i could upgrade i would go saint or elixer.
Can I ask why would you consider an upgrade.
If the brakes are 2011 code R's they are essentially the modulation of a elixir with a 4pot system instead of a 2pot.
The elixirs for me have always had good modulation but they never had enough power to back this up and they were a let down brake for me.
The saints I have ridden all have lacked feel. they had bit and modulation but for some reason didnt suit me.

I current use the higher model 2011 Codes. I am more than happy with them so far, they have plenty of bite like I look for and enough modulation without lacking feel, they are a comfortable brake to ride and I wont be changing anytime soon.

I am a avid over shimano user with brakes, but I would take saints over elixirs (2010 havent tried 2011) anyday. But codes blow them both away.
I have never found a 4pot system too powerful but have found the 2pot elixirs not powerful enough. I am also a light rider around 60kg.
M2C

dj_14

Likes Dirt
Can I ask why would you consider an upgrade.
If the brakes are 2011 code R's they are essentially the modulation of a elixir with a 4pot system instead of a 2pot.
The elixirs for me have always had good modulation but they never had enough power to back this up and they were a let down brake for me.
The saints I have ridden all have lacked feel. they had bit and modulation but for some reason didnt suit me.

I current use the higher model 2011 Codes. I am more than happy with them so far, they have plenty of bite like I look for and enough modulation without lacking feel, they are a comfortable brake to ride and I wont be changing anytime soon.

I am a avid over shimano user with brakes, but I would take saints over elixirs (2010 havent tried 2011) anyday. But codes blow them both away.
M2C
codes won the 2011 power test from memory. elixers have great power and feel for a 2 pot, especially in AUS since there isn't big enough hills to need the huge power. im a sram and avid man. i dont put fishing tackle on my bikes. and 5 grand dura ace wheels with open ball bearings is just not cool..... :)

driftking

Wheel size expert
codes won the 2011 power test from memory. elixers have great power and feel for a 2 pot, especially in AUS since there isn't big enough hills to need the huge power. im a sram and avid man. i dont put fishing tackle on my bikes. and 5 grand dura ace wheels with open ball bearings is just not cool..... :)
brilliant power in the codes. "elixers have great power and feel for a 2 pot" thats the key isnt it but, for a "2-pot brake". I personally find that the codes have a much better feel than the 2-pot system. In terms of performace for a 2-pot brake you probably cannot beat the elixir but for me a 4pot system feels alot better and I have found I brake alot later using a 4-pot system. From memory the elixirs I rode seemed to lack braking performance during initial braking, there just didnt feel to be enough power backing it up. Thats not to say they are not enough of a brake but i find in terms of personal opinion and brake feeling the 4-pot easily trumps the 2-pot.