Kona Stinky Owners Unite!

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
Hey Guys,

I've been doing a lot of thinking (and ordering) about upgrades for my 02 stinky to make it more DH capable. I was wondering what some of the other guys out there have done.
My Stinky already has DMR chieftain cranks and ANtix pedals.
I have ordered the long travel linkage plates from dangerboycnc.com and they should arrive in a week or two. I also rang through an order today for a new Atomlab Aircorp 24 inch rim and Shimano Deore Disc hub which will be built my boss.
Obviously i'm going to need a fork to match the 7 inches of travel i'm going to have in the rear and am currently tossing up between Boxxer Race (04) and the MArzocchi Jnr T and Super T. All depending on how much money i want to spend.

So there are my plans, if you have any thoughts about my upgrades or info on your upgrades then send them though.

Dan

DOM

Eats Squid
Man that sounds like a serious hucking monster.

what sort of brakes is it running ?

I had a stinky as my previous bike.
Wasnt quite as buff as that but sounds like you could throw that sucker off anything.

I would go Monster T's if your into hucks .. that thing would be pimp.

if ya more keen on keeping it light and racing it DH ... get some boxxer race. you could always swap from 24in wheel to 26 .. and have a set of DH wheels.

or ... just race it anyway.

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After you've fitted the long travel plates , check that your front derailleur cage(?) doesn't hit the swingarm when the susp. bottoms out.
I"ve fitted a longer stroke shock to my 03 stinky (58mm) which effectively gives 7" travel , but on the first ride to tune the shock , I kept hearing this weird sound on big hits. On closer inspection , there was a mark on the swingarm where the der. had been punching it. The easiest remedy was to slide the der. up the seat tube 4 or 5mm, but then the chain drags when in granny and small sprockets up back.
I've modified my der. cage since and it's only a problem when in granny position.
Best solution though would be single chainring and a guide , and get used to pushing up hills!

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
spinner said:
After you've fitted the long travel plates , check that your front derailleur cage(?) doesn't hit the swingarm when the susp. bottoms out.
I"ve fitted a longer stroke shock to my 03 stinky (58mm) which effectively gives 7" travel , but on the first ride to tune the shock , I kept hearing this weird sound on big hits. On closer inspection , there was a mark on the swingarm where the der. had been punching it. The easiest remedy was to slide the der. up the seat tube 4 or 5mm, but then the chain drags when in granny and small sprockets up back.
I've modified my der. cage since and it's only a problem when in granny position.
Best solution though would be single chainring and a guide , and get used to pushing up hills!
That brings me to the next upgrade. A chain guide. Gonna put an order in for an e-thirteen SRS guide. Those things are pimp and not too pricey either.

Adi

It's my birthday!
How much do the e-13s go for Dan, I say get the boxxers if oyu wanna do DH.

And the ride date has been changed from thursday to saturday, so if you can make it you are welcome to come along ;).

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
F1 said:
How much do the e-13s go for Dan, I say get the boxxers if oyu wanna do DH.

And the ride date has been changed from thursday to saturday, so if you can make it you are welcome to come along ;).
with shipping and current exchange rates
its about $220AUD
not bad for worldclass chainguide
definately buy it dan, very good product havent got a complaint about mine

Adi

It's my birthday!
Ooooo, not a bad price, looks like I'll be getting one... unless I buy an Aireal Industries one.

Anyhoo back on topic! :)

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
the aireal ones aren't that hot if you have iscg mounts on your frame. PLus the Norco distributors in Australia have the distribution rights for the e-13 guides in oz. I can get them through the shop then!

bazza

look at me
im in with this!!! stinkys are sweet bikes
here is the list so far of stinky owners, feel free to pm me or post in here if you wish to join the list, i will try and edit it every so often.

stinky owners as of 2/10/03
bazza
stinky dan
spinner
air dog
stinky 5
dannyboy
riggs
kitakishi
moster_powered_stinky
murray_green
naz
igothp
HeftyKona

my stinky
02 frame
02 jnr ts
armour hydros
aerial chain guide
alex-hugi front 521-deore rear
tiagra rear deraliur (mentally destroyed the deore stock)

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
there was another dude who called himself stinkydan but ihe may have changed his name after i got in touch with him.

So what about the upgrades?

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
stinky|dan said:
the aireal ones aren't that hot if you have iscg mounts on your frame. PLus the Norco distributors in Australia have the distribution rights for the e-13 guides in oz. I can get them through the shop then!
if you get them throught the Norco distributor the guide will cost you over $300

grovesy

Likes Dirt
bazza said:
im in with this!!! stinkys are sweet bikes
here is the list so far of stinky owners, feel free to pm me or post in here if you wish to join the list, i will try and edit it every so often.
stinky owners as of 2/10/03
bazza
stinky dan
spinner
air dog

Count me in, I have an 01 stinky deelux.
Not to many upgrades yet.
Waiting patiently for a chain guide from tomac boy,hopefully that'll keep the damn chain from dropping off.
Plus there seems to be a lot of boxxers on the market over here at the moment,I might look into a fork upgrade aswell.

AirDog

Likes Dirt
stinkys are sweet rides.

i have an 01 stinky
mrp
rc rear shock
mx6's up front 6.5"
7" linkage plates comming soon from danger boy
24" rear comming soon
truvative cranks soon to be swapped out with raceface
600 rear derailer

let us know how them linkage plates go when ya get them dan.

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
Airdog,

for sure. I'll write a review and post it on farkin. They are still about a week away.

Raid,
Are you sure? I work at a shop anyway so it'll be nice and cheap!

AirDog

Likes Dirt
may i suggest a mrp copy
tomach boy makes them they work flawlessly and are cheap 120 with genuine mrp rollers.
i havn't droped a chain once with mine

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
AirDog said:
may i suggest a mrp copy
tomach boy makes them they work flawlessly and are cheap 120 with genuine mrp rollers.
i havn't droped a chain once with mine
What do they look like? Do you know if there are any pics around?

Dan

timmo

Likes Dirt
I'm getting an 04 Stinky - my first duallie - woohooo!!!!
(Just dunno when I'm gonna see it)

It's kind of a worry that I'm already thinking about what I might want to upgrade :)

The first thing will be swapping the flats for the Shimano DX pedals on my Bigfoot.