Kona Unit - Operation Weenie.

scottmeister

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, done some radical changes to my 06 Kona Unit. Lightening it up alot. Spec now includes: Pace RC31 Carbon Forks, Stylos, Juicy 5s, White Industries Eno freewheel, WTB Nanoraptor tyres, and stocko Truvativ bars/stem/post, Belair RL seat.

Soon to come will be DT240 singlespeed hubset on UST rims, and carbon bars/post and Ti railed seat.

Current weight is at just under 10.5kg. Rides extremely fast, but doesn't feel weak- did a few hours of singletrack today including stuff you wouldn't want to do on most rigid forks! Very fun beast to ride. :cool:

Attachments

Binaural

Eats Squid
That is a super-clean looking ride, albeit retro. Do you find the rigid forks slow you down a lot on the downhills?

scottmeister

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Binaural said:
That is a super-clean looking ride, albeit retro. Do you find the rigid forks slow you down a lot on the downhills?
A little bit, but I kept up with other guys- just have to be alot more confident with picking lines, as you can really get thrown around if you hit the wrong rock! Makes it alot more techy and purposeful, not just bombing down. I'm lovin it.

Renegade

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That is your commuter yes..
Seems like your spending an awful amount of money on a commuter bike.. although it's really nice. Whatever floats your boat I guess.. have fun

scottmeister

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Renegade said:
That is your commuter yes..
Seems like your spending an awful amount of money on a commuter bike.. although it's really nice. Whatever floats your boat I guess.. have fun
Yeah. Hence why it's so dirty. I commute on rocky, undulating, muddy roads. :rolleyes:

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
I thought the scales said 10.7kg.
They were obviously out 200g. :p

DJ_Robbie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So you wanna save weight ey....

-Dont bother with air in ya tires. You'll save at least .7g... and have a HUGE increase in traction
-Dont bother with grips, or bars at all, get a bit longer stem, triathletes do it.
-Clamp your stem in place, then remove the top cap, speed holes are good.
-Take the pins out of one side of your pedals, your feet cant be on both sides at once.
-Actually ride nude. You'll increase aerodynamics and your self confidance will skyrocket, hence making you ride faster.
-Strip your bike of all paint, there'd be at least a liter of paint on that rig, that saves a kg and raw is uber cool.

last but not least run a 2:1 ratio in your gearing of 2t:1t it'll make your chain shorter too and save unnessessary weight on sprockets.

wheres grover.

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
DJ_Robbie said:
-Dont bother with air in ya tires. You'll save at least .7g...
wheres grover.
didn't i tell you it's 9 grams, well at least a 2.0 tyre at 40 psi has 9 grams of air. wider tyres means more weight saving with no air.

on a serious note, it looks like you are nearly to the point that the only place to drop serious weight is the frame - i say get in touch with shannon at mtbprecision and get on one of those moots - or maybe a custom ventana.

i think i'll have to invest in some pace forks - not quite to the point of rigid though - rc39xc's for me.

Cameo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very nice Scott, looks like a mean bike, and it'll only get better.

Whats the price on them Pace's?

Pete_10

Likes Bikes and Dirt
DJ_Robbie said:
So you wanna save weight ey....

-Dont bother with air in ya tires. You'll save at least .7g... and have a HUGE increase in traction
-Dont bother with grips, or bars at all, get a bit longer stem, triathletes do it.
-Clamp your stem in place, then remove the top cap, speed holes are good.
-Take the pins out of one side of your pedals, your feet cant be on both sides at once.
-Actually ride nude. You'll increase aerodynamics and your self confidance will skyrocket, hence making you ride faster.
-Strip your bike of all paint, there'd be at least a liter of paint on that rig, that saves a kg and raw is uber cool.

last but not least run a 2:1 ratio in your gearing of 2t:1t it'll make your chain shorter too and save unnessessary weight on sprockets.

wheres grover.
hey your forgeting something, dont need valve caps or trip computers:p

topher

Likes Dirt
Very very nice bike. Could try some rigids for it? MMM PACE RIGIDS! Whats the verdict on those pace forks? Stiff, plush etc?

porky

Likes Dirt
the apce rigids a very nice to ride they ahve a nice bit of flex in them that helps to adsorb soem fo the bumps.
and they're silly light.