KONA24 Hour - Forrest - Nov 28/29

stevo78

Likes Dirt
Firstly what a great event!!
Couple of question , what position was needed in solo male to qualify for the worlds? And also does anyone know the distance of the night lap my bike computer didn't like the rain !
Now back to bed!

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I had the night lap at around 11km but the wireless was playing up a bit with the water and mud.
If you finished solo...GREAT effort!

quiggs

Likes Dirt
I wondered why someone was scootering the wrong way...
Chris
Two riders helped me out the 1st with a chain breaker and the 2nd with a quick link, unfortunately just as I was about to join the two together one side slipped from my fingers and was last heard hitting the ground somewhere near by!! As fate would have it when the support crew looked at the chain there was 3 or 4 links that had split outer on them so even if I had joined the chain it most likely would have let go further down the trail

2 lessons learnt don't assume that you have stocked you seat bag appropriately and replace your chain as soon as you second guess it like I did before the race.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Karmas the whole time worked a treat!
Even up the sloppy fireroad climbs
Don't know what everyone was complaining about

mcoccia

Likes Dirt
Couple of question , what position was needed in solo male to qualify for the worlds? And also does anyone know the distance of the night lap my bike computer didn't like the rain !
Now back to bed!
I got 13.5kms on my garmin gps.

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
i ran crossmark at front and ralph at rear. had a ball drifting! Sam hill got nuttin
Having a Ralph on the rear was "interesting"

One of our club members did a complete 180 degree still clipped in, then managed to unclip and head off in the correct direction without missing a beat.:D

Roland

MrsH

Likes Dirt
I wondered why someone was scootering the wrong way...

I'd like to pass on my thanks too, a great event, such a good vibe ! The re-route was a great idea, it was pretty bad in there.
Thanks to the Lions Club, the coffee guy, Doctor Will (?) who kindly removed my earplug silicon bit that stuck in my ear at about 10 pm and I couldn't get to him to get it out 'til 8am, and Meagan and Gay (pit crew) and Commentatorman for an endless stream of amusing repartee in transition.

Solo next year for me !!!!

Chris
You know it's in writing, now.. :D

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Now back to bed!
Just got back to Canberra from Forrest (Now off to bed)...

The short answer is if you made it in the top half of the placings for overall solo or for any of the solo categories, you have qualified. I will be getting a complete set of qualifiers done up tomorrow and will put that list, plus the revised complete list, here plus in the 2010 World Solo Champs thread.

Benduro

Likes Dirt
Great race and great shots Steve!
1st 24 hour race for all members of our open2view team, and the weather certainly made it a memorable one!
Our aim before the race was to have somebody on course all the time but I messed that up by not being at transition at the right time (was having a nap) as the night laps were a lot quicker than originally anticipated. Anyway we all rode consistently and finished 17th in the 4 males cat' with 27 laps and 44th overall:)
My fav' lap was in the last 50mins as I rode a 49min to force our next rider out on course at 11:58... Justin wore it with a :D onya mate.
The bloke behind me came in with 1min remaining and was not going for another as he had no water bottle... Compare gave him heaps, someone in the crowd handed him a stubby, and off he went skulling a beer and getting a huge cheer. Great effort!

Last edited:

Lube

Likes Dirt
The bloke behind me came in with 1min remaining and was not going for another as he had no water bottle... Compare gave him heaps, someone in the crowd handed him a stubby, and off he went skulling a beer and getting a huge cheer. Great effort!

Probably one of the weekends finest moments! :D

thelankyman

Likes Dirt
My fav' lap was in the last 50mins as I rode a 49min to force our next rider out on course at 11:58... Justin wore it with a :D onya mate.
That was me. :D but I have to correct you, I was always going out for another lap, well maybe

I had only just bought the bike and hadnt gotten around to getting a cage ffor the bike yet. So thus no bottle cage though with the conditions I didnt really feel I needed it until towards the end of the race when the sun came out and the heat started. That last lap I only did after I convinced my team mate that he didnt want to do another lap, and on my 'last' I pushed it hard and made it back in time to go out again. I had thought that I would probably head out for another lap if I made it back in time and just cruise it around on the SS. Had a good chat to the guy who got forced out at 11.58 and a young kid who was doing a great job. Just doing it for the GOOMBAHS!

Good work to the racers, who were always in a good mood even if the conditions were ordinary.

For those who think that there was hardly any mud, I am not sure that we were riding the same race! Though the 2nd day lap was very nice to ride on due to the sand.

speshrider

Likes Bikes
Just made it back home, was well worth the trip. What a great event and fantastic trails! :D
We are already planning to come back for a holiday to just enjoy the trails for a week or so.
Organisation was great, pity about the weather,but that was the same for everyone.
I could have made a better tyre choice, but it wouldn't have made too much difference in the end. :p

Again thanks to organisers, volunteers......

SR