KONA24 Hour - Forrest - Nov 28/29

btothec

Likes Dirt
I dont know i will take anything home, it is more like is it worth the risk scenario. If I can ride the trails at Forest and come home and it costs me nothing or not much that is awesome :)

There are plenty of other races to do locally that will cost little at the end of the day. I would just prefer to ride Forest, they guys down there are fantastic.

Any chance of a cyclocross race the day before??!!
That cyclocross race before the day before the 6 hr was great fun. There will be a club race the Friday. I think it is going to be something in the form of an Eliminator eg last person over the line each lap is out. I think there was talk of some fun little events as well. Maybe even a wheelie comp if your lucky!

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
I dont know i will take anything home, it is more like is it worth the risk scenario. If I can ride the trails at Forest and come home and it costs me nothing or not much that is awesome :)

There are plenty of other races to do locally that will cost little at the end of the day. I would just prefer to ride Forest, they guys down there are fantastic.

Any chance of a cyclocross race the day before??!!
Ahh... do you mean Forrest??? Double R buddy! Get it right!

As for our famous "prebigeventlittlefunracethatendsupbeinganassbuster" events, as Ben has eluded to, we might have a track style "elimination" race. Another suggestion was for a "dink your mate" race... but we were unsure if the carbon bling bikes would be able to take the weight?

The elimination race will be held on the Friday early evening, at the footy ground and there will be MASSIVE prizes (read bag of lollies)

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Weather forecast

Long term weather forecast looks great, couple of showers early in the week to settle things down, then bright and clear on the week-end. :)

Roland

Benduro

Likes Dirt
Hi,
We have entered a team of four and it will be our first 24 hour race. We have done a few 6 hour races and were able to set up camp right next to the track and transition from there. Would this be the go at Forrest or will there be a transition area where riders have to wait.
Love to set up beside the track with the car for convenience and for charging lights and having access to the Waeco!
Hope this is possible, if not, how has is been done in previous Forrest 24's?
Cheers,
Ben.

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Generally this is not possible at the Kona... however you will be able to camp in the football ground which is very central. Cars would generally NOT be allowed in there though. There is also generally a second camping/parking area, for teams. This area is a short distrance from transition.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so Norm, how's the trials looking at forrest? Are you doing the Kona course, if so, what kind of distances are they looking at? And will I be able to do the night course on my roadie?

quiggs

Likes Dirt
camping on the football ground

We have a camper trailer that we use for our accommodation is it going to be possible to drive the car in to get the camper trailer in to the camping area and the drive the car out to the car park. I don't fancy pulling the trailer of the footy ground after riding for 24hrs if you know what I mean..

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
so Norm, how's the trials looking at forrest? Are you doing the Kona course, if so, what kind of distances are they looking at? And will I be able to do the night course on my roadie?
Course should be available by COB tomorrow. As for the roadie... you can do all the courses on a road bike if you like... not sure how quick you will be though? And you would be...? ( I hate anonymity of forums)

Anti_Trainer

Likes Dirt
Hey Red_Racer.
Do yourself a favour, save some airfares, put your feet up relax and stay at home and reflect on an amazing year, the money is heading to Canberra this year.
In fact buy yourself a carton, pack the SS in the car and have a nice drive down to Newcastle and hold an alternative 24 beers in 24hrs event, I'm sure 13 and The Good Doctor will be able to help you out, and who knows you might come away with another ozzie title.
The C-Town Massif are coming in force, we've got a guy for the Early Morning Break, we've got protected riders for the main part of the race, and a few guys to bring back the break if it's not working in the last 6 hours.
We've even recruited two three man teams to help out.
One slow team to block opposition riders in the singletrack, and a second fast team to draft us through the night. Nothing will stop the C-Town Massif domination.
Remember all rumours are true until proven otherwise.

Ltr.

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
Speaking of money..... the only way I can make this trip happen (and I'm glad your all keen to see me there) is if I can get a lift to the airport monday morning or to some cheap accommodation at the airport sunday night.

There is money on offer - cash and prizes :)

there might be 2 of us......

please let me know if you can help out.

Thanks in advance

RR

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Speaking of money..... the only way I can make this trip happen (and I'm glad your all keen to see me there) is if I can get a lift to the airport monday morning or to some cheap accommodation at the airport sunday night.

There is money on offer - cash and prizes :)

there might be 2 of us......

please let me know if you can help out.

Thanks in advance

RR
Hotel Formule 1 at Tullamarine is the cheapest at $119 per night

(of course nowhere near the class of Forrest accomodation:D)

Hope this helps

Roland

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
We have a camper trailer that we use for our accommodation is it going to be possible to drive the car in to get the camper trailer in to the camping area and the drive the car out to the car park. I don't fancy pulling the trailer of the footy ground after riding for 24hrs if you know what I mean..
You should contact fullgaspromotions.com.au

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Hotel Formule 1 at Tullamarine is the cheapest at $119 per night

(of course nowhere near the class of Forrest accomodation:D)

Hope this helps

Roland
I think maybe he means accomm in Sydney Roland, but Jase, if you need help let me know, and as usual we'll see what we can do.

any idea of what to expect for day and night temps. trying to work out what to bring!
As with any 24... be prepared for anything. The weather should be nice, but this is a high rainfall area and frost prone. The nights are generally cold, regardless of the time of year.

mcdoned

Likes Dirt
the money is heading to Canberra this year.
I thought that's what we had politicians and bureaucrats for in C-town... hmmm.

There may still be a team of two (both with the same first name) to provide superdomestique duties....

BUT... will this be like the Astana story, and will there be crippling internal divisions between the potential leaders of the Canberra massif, ala Armstrong and Contador? Will on-course tensions culminate in a war of words over Twitter (or rotorburn, for that matter)..... ;)

Snozza

Full Gas Promotions
You won't be able to get the camper trailer into the football ground unless you walk it in... same deal for getting it out. There are no vehicles permitted inside the Football Ground & it's surrounds. The Pony Club and the Caravan Campsite across the road are for the vehicles (carpark and caravan/campers respectively).
Putting it in the caravan campsite across the road however has the positive of being able to drive in and leaving the camper trailer in the caravan campsite.
If you are a solo rider talk to me offline, via the FGP site contact details.

Cheers,
Snozza

speshrider

Likes Bikes
You won't be able to get the camper trailer into the football ground unless you walk it in... same deal for getting it out. There are no vehicles permitted inside the Football Ground & it's surrounds. The Pony Club and the Caravan Campsite across the road are for the vehicles (carpark and caravan/campers respectively).
Putting it in the caravan campsite across the road however has the positive of being able to drive in and leaving the camper trailer in the caravan campsite.
If you are a solo rider talk to me offline, via the FGP site contact details.

Cheers,
Snozza
Hi, have been following this for a while. We are flying in and renting a camper, it appears we can't pit near the track :(
Will there be an area where solo's can put a table (or esky) near the track?

Also noticed on the Kona site that the qualifying rules have been changed...
from 75/50% rule to a maximum of 14 male qualifiers(40% of last years numbers). A bit disappointing as (according to an email from organisers) it was 50% last year. Looks like it will only be spots for the elites....

SR