KONA24 Hour - Forrest - Nov 28/29

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
thanks for info dr evil
Last year at Forrest there was a series of switch back climbs about 1 or 2 k into the course (also tree roots on climb) - don't know if they will be in this years course, if they are, hope you have evil strong legs to power up it with the 34:17 combo - you might want to check.
That climb is actually a descent this year, however the alternate climb (last years last descent) is still quite tough, but much more "doable".

doees anyone know if there will be live updates on this forum or anywhere else? family and friends would like to check my progress.
There is very little chance of internet connection down at the footy ground, but maybe Russ has something organised.
There will be however a special feature for on course results... all I can say is "bring your iPhone".

DaGonz

Eats Squid
There is very little chance of internet connection down at the footy ground, but maybe Russ has something organised. There will be however a special feature for on course results... all I can say is "bring your iPhone".
No Next G or similar coverage?

Cheers
Spoon

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That climb is actually a descent this year, however the alternate climb (last years last descent) is still quite tough, but much more "doable".
pity really liked that switch back climb ... so the descent is that 4wd trail with the sandy base, is that right? Thanks.

MrsH

Likes Dirt
There is very little chance of internet connection down at the footy ground, but maybe Russ has something organised.
There will be however a special feature for on course results... all I can say is "bring your iPhone".
Sounds intriguing.. My iPhone goes everywhere with me :cool:

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
doees anyone know if there will be live updates on this forum or anywhere else? family and friends would like to check my progress.
If I can get internet coverage at the event village, I will do full results updates (not live) about every hour by day and then every 2 at night.
There is very little chance of internet connection down at the footy ground, but maybe Russ has something organised. There will be however a special feature for on course results... all I can say is "bring your iPhone".
Yep - gave this a test run at the VIC XC Round at Bendigo last weekend - so I know it works in the rain :)

At the event should not be a problem. You will get better/faster service if you bring a wireless laptop with "N" wireless, although a dual service will be available.

Results will also be up on various screens around the place. Here is what they looked like:
. At the VIC State XC Round
. At the Gravity 12Hr

No Next G or similar coverage?
In terms of actual internet - I'll take Norm's word for it as the "local", but I have some rigs with some aerials which can sometimes get acceptable reception for uploading small files (no photos if the bandwidth is no good). At the Gravity 12Hr, it worked OK although nearest service was at Mt Buffalo 25Km away. All comes down to line of sight and how much moisture is in the air.

Last edited:

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
".................In terms of actual internet - I'll take Norm's word for it as the "local", but I have some rigs with some aerials which can sometimes get acceptable reception for uploading small files (no photos if the bandwidth is no good). At the Gravity 12Hr, it worked OK although nearest service was at Mt Buffalo 25Km away. All comes down to line of sight and how much moisture is in the air."

G'Day Russ,

I would be extremely happy for you to find NextG, or any coverage at the football ground, however experience shows the chance will be next to zero. The hill behind the clubrooms is the sight line you need for phone coverage.

Go to the top of the climb Norm mentioned and coverage will start there.

Anyone wish to support Forrest MTB club and donate a garage to be built at the ground? :)

We'll look after internet coverage from there.

Roland

DaGonz

Eats Squid
In terms of actual internet - I'll take Norm's word for it as the "local", but I have some rigs with some aerials which can sometimes get acceptable reception for uploading small files (no photos if the bandwidth is no good). At the Gravity 12Hr, it worked OK although nearest service was at Mt Buffalo 25Km away. All comes down to line of sight and how much moisture is in the air.
Yeah the coverage map would suggest it'd be sketchy even with an Aerial. Bummer 'eh....

Cheers
Spoon

DaGonz

Eats Squid
I would be extremely happy for you to find NextG, or any coverage at the football ground, however experience shows the chance will be next to zero. The hill behind the clubrooms is the sight line you need for phone coverage.
So you have line of sight from the ground at least?

Cheers
Spoon

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
So you have line of sight from the ground at least?

Cheers
Spoon
No, that's the problem, you need to go back up into Forrest, or head up the hill towards Barwon Downs before getting any coverage, either way means travelling several km from the oval

If you look on a map, the tower is located on Mt. Gellibrand

Roland

Larabeemax

Likes Bikes
Telstra...

Maybe you could ask Telstra if they would come on as a late sponsor and offer a `repeater' for the event. They do so at other public events... Maybe there is an influential Telstra employee reading

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Maybe you could ask Telstra if they would come on as a late sponsor and offer a `repeater' for the event. They do so at other public events... Maybe there is an influential Telstra employee reading
Heh, If they had line of sight from the oval it'd be easier. Bring a toy from the office and a high gain antenna from somewhere. But I suspect Russ has more toys than I can muster in a short time frame. Lots of options, a generator, a couple of high gain antennas and a wifi repeater on the hill would work too.

someone riding up the road with a laptop and a usb stick to get results out might be easier...

Cheers
Spoon

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Without opening an anti-Telstra thread.

There have been many approaches made to Telstra about the lack of mobile coverage in one of the most at-risk communities in Victoria for this coming fire season, including setting up a temporary mobile base station.

There will be no extra coverage, for KONA, or for the fire season.

Regards

Roland

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Off-topic fundraising

G'Day All,

Little off-topic here. If anyone happens to be down real early, Forrest MTB Club is having a fundraising Trivia Night on Wednesday at 7.00pm at the Forrest Guesthouse. Entry cost is $20 which includes finger food. Trying to raise money to send some of our juniors to the nationals in Adelaide next year.

For those coming down Friday, we hope to run a short, fun race at the football ground, starting at 7.30pm.

Dirt crit elimination race - last one across the line each lap drops out until we have a winner. :p

See if you can beat the locals

Roland

akashra

Eats Squid
Dirt crit elimination race - last one across the line each lap drops out until we have a winner. :p

See if you can beat the locals

Roland
Nuts. I'm coming down but had no intention of bringing a bike, but might have changed my mind if this was running during the day.

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
pity really liked that switch back climb ... so the descent is that 4wd trail with the sandy base, is that right? Thanks.
No... that's what I just said, the sandy thing you came down last year, will this year be the climb.

As for telstra coverage... FORGET IT! As for getting results, they will be live on the course.
So unless someone can work out how to string about 3Km of Cat5 down the road from my place, I don't think there will be any internet access.

stevo78

Likes Dirt
first time solo for me! so i was wondering i have the option to stay at a hotel in colac the friday night or camp it at forrest.
My issue is would i find it hard to sleep in the tent with people coming and going, im setting up my tent in the solo area! obviously sleep is critical the night before is it safer to stay at a hotel?

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
first time solo for me! so i was wondering i have the option to stay at a hotel in colac the friday night or camp it at forrest.
My issue is would i find it hard to sleep in the tent with people coming and going, im setting up my tent in the solo area! obviously sleep is critical the night before is it safer to stay at a hotel?
Well if you were to ask me, sleep is critical the week leading up to, not just the night before.

I would personally not stay at a hotel in Colac, but also I wouldn't be setting up a tent in Solo alley, for numerous reasons.
1. There won't be enough room for tents.
2. I wouldn't want me tent within eye-sight during the event.
3. If you pitch your tent away from solo area, you are more likely to get a good sleep.

When Jess is racing seriously, we try to have our pit area as bereft of comfort as we can. In fact the more barren it looks the better. As the Aussie solo champs, we had a little card table, and that was it!

So, for me... no way would I stay in Colac