KOWA 200Si review - PART 2 Now Up

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
PART 1
I bought the Kowa 200Si forks from Blue Mountain Bikes a few weeks back after riding the pair on a mate's bike. They were something different, new and light, a whole lot lighter than the travis' i was running at the time, so i thought i'd give them a go.

I bolted them onto my Turner DHR, the fit was easy, as you'd expect from any fork. The only hitch was that they require a Boxxer adapter, but they are available from any good bike shop so it was no problem.
Initial impressions were good. Very good in fact. Immediately the bike felt a lot lighter. First ride proved this also, was much easier to move the bike around and it immediately felt very balanced with the DHX 5.0 in the rear.
Read on for an in depth review.

WEIGHT
They're light, real light, like lighter than a boxxer world cup light. The Kowa's feature a magnesium lower with a 35mm hard anodised 7000 series aluminium stanchion, keeping things light and stiff. Coupled with the hollow aluminium crowns, alloy axle and titanium hardware throughout; this fork comes in as one of the lightest
200mm travel DH forks on the market, coming in at a claimed 2.74kg. I haven't had a chance to weight them personally, but they certainly feel as light as claimed!

STIFFNESS
In the past I have run Boxxers, Shivvers, Travis' and 40s, and these are as stiff as the 40s, easily.. The 35mm stanchion is easily big enough to keep the front wheel pointed where you want it. I was amazed at how well these tracked considering the weight; the bike goes where you want it to go. No noticeable deflection, no noticeable flex. The fork just works and works well.

TRAVEL
One of the first things you notice when looking from the cockpit as the big gold knob on the left hand leg, this controls the travel adjust feature on the kowa forks. They are infinitely travel adjustable, with a maximum of 200mm and a minimum of somewhere around 30mm of travel, without changing the way the travel feels at all. In the left hand leg is the air spring, with consists of a single positive chamber and a single negative chamber. Between these is a diaphragm, turning the gold knob 180degrees opens this diaphragm and equalises the pressure in the two chambers extending the fork to full travel
(200mm). From here it’s just a matter of compressing the forks to whatever length/travel you want them at and closing the diaphragm. Easy. The Kowa's feel equally as plush at any travel setting.
The gold anodised stanchions feature hard anodised finish with an incredibly smooth action, there is next to no stiction even when fresh out of the box. Given the forks are air sprung, I was very impressed to notice this, as other air sprung forks I’ve tried have all suffered at least a small amount of stiction.

DAMPING
While the damping system of the Kowa's is a basic open bath system, they perform very well. It seems they have stuck with the old Keep It Simple Stupid saying and have certainly come out on top. In the right hand leg is an open bath rebound circuit with the adjuster situated on the bottom of the fork. The fork has more than enough adjustment to allow the rider to tailor the fork to suit any track. While the 200Si lacks an external compression adjustment or the 200Sx, this can all be taken care of internally but changing oil weights, heights and air pressures. I found that even out of the box this was unnecessary, and have not needed to change anything internally. Being an air sprung fork, the Kowa naturally ramps up towards the end of the stroke, giving a very controlled, predictable feeling. Very plush at the beginning of the stroke and ramping up nicely at the end, which was very nice to see over the bigger hits.

THE RIDE
The ride.. Well as mentioned at the start,immediately my bike felt a lot lighter and more balanced than with the travis' i had been running. The bike felt more nimble, quicker to accelerate and definately more stable in the air.

I found myself manualling and really picking the front wheel up and over things i had previously been skimming. The bike was much easier to jump, with the front end staying level and very stable mid air, and even the rougher landings still felt smooth. The forks had very little stiction out of the box, which felt fantastic, was almost like they were already bedded in at the factory! The seals are massive, there is no way anything is getting past these things! Which i see as a good thing. I've heard stories that people have run the same seals for years in Kowa forks with no detrimental effect what so ever.

The set up was easy. Just a matter of setting the air pressure to suit my weight and working out the rebound setting i like and off i went. The first trail i rode it on was fair smooth at the top, with a couple of low, fast berms into a reasonable sized jump which led straight into a step down drop. This is where i first realised just how stiff the fork is. There is no deflection, no twist at all.. Just point and go. Over these jumps they felt great, remaining plush and soaking the small bumps before ramping up on landings, they felt great!

Next part of the track was a small chute into a series of stair like bumps on a windy descent. Again, i was amazed by the small bump compliance and stiffness of the Kowa. once again, the bike goes whre you want it to, smoothly. At this stage i was really beginning to like these forks. A lot.

Next up was some open off camber corners into a couple of hip jumps followed by a series of quick windy corners through some trees to the finish.

The forks held very well in the off camber turns, again soaking up every little bump before taking the bigger hits of the hip jumps in their stride, one after the other, before entering the twisty pedally section. Despite not having any pedal platform (SPV etc) or external compression damping they pedal exceptionally well, not too much bobbing, just straight tracking and bump eating!!

CONCLUSIONS
Wow, these forks are just awesome. They track well, they're plush, they're very stiff. I don't know what more to ask for in a DH fork. I would definately recommend these to anyone who is looking for a new DH race fork.
As i mentioned earlier, i have run a number of DH forks in the past including Boxxers, Travis' and 40s, and i have to say that the Kowa's have impressed me most.

What can i say? I'm definately a fan! And i will be running these for a long time to come!

P.S. More detailed photo's to come soon!!

Where to buy:

The Kowa 200Si forks retail at $1750 in either black or white and can be purchased from Blue Mountain Bikes on 4782 5599.

PART 2
Ok, i think i've left you waiting long enough so it's time for the next installment.

I've been riding these forks for some time now, and put a few good hard hours/days/weeks riding them.

Now in the first part of this review, i touched on all aspects of these forks from features to performance. In this next part i hope to give a much more in depth review of the performance, particularly that on the demanding world cup DH track that is Mt Stromlo.

A couple of weeks back a group of us made the trip down to Canberra for a days riding at Stromlo forest park. We hired a Renault Master (1.5T van) for the day for the purpose of shuttling up and down the hill, and that's exactly what we did. We rocked up at about 10am for out first run, kitted up and started off downt he hill.

Again the first thing worth noting is the stiffness of the fork, it really does track amazingly well. Everywhere i pointed the front wheel the bike went, no matter how stupid the line choice.. No flex or deflection, just a smooth up and down motion.

Now anyone who is familiar with Mt Stromlo DH will know that the rock garden is a little gnarly, particularly after the recent world cup round. I figured this would be a good testing ground for the travel and bottom out. I hit the garden straight on, chattering over every rock i could find that wasn't on the fast line (no, not intentionally), and as i'd hoped the fork did not once bottom out and stayed true to the trail. Another thumbs up for the KOWA!
Only thing i did notice was that at full travel, the forks seemed to top out a little bit, something i was warned about when i purchased them. Dropping the travel by down to 190mm seemd to fix this at the same time as lowering the bar height and improving handling on the day, which reminds me, i must acquire a lower rise bar..

After the short traverse across the mountain including the few small gaps i came down to the first big drop, no i didn't hit it. With self preservation in mind (read wimp) i deided to save it for another day.. However i did hit the step down drops after the bridge, which once again the KOWA's handled with ease. Only glitch was the slight top out again..

Through the rest of the track, the forks handled beautifully; stiff, plush with a nice ramp up towards the end of the travel.

Other than the top out, the only trouble i had all day was on the stutters towards the bottom of the track, though i'm sure that has more to do with my lack of skill than anything.

After a month of riding these forks i have no complaints. Aside from the slight top out the only issue i've had is the travel adjust knob now turning 270degrees instead of the original 180.. But the tavel adjust still works fine...

The paint on the lowers seems a little thinner than most, but is still holding up fine, i have applied a small amount of touch up paint here and there to keep them looking fresh.

Definately a big thumbs up again on these forks. I will keep you all posted though and post a third segment after the next big rie day.

Evan

Attachments

Last edited:

syko

Likes Dirt
those forks look really good and they sound fantastic..im gong to save my pennies and get some because they sound sooo good thanks for the report on them..:D

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
KOWA 200Si review

All those years of Moto seem to have paid off. I bet they're brilliantly simple internally, perfectly tuned in the factory.
I've long held the belief that all these external dials are really just making up for suspension being able to be fitted to any bike design, good or bad.
This whole thing about 'style' of riding is, really, bullshit.
Keeping a wheel tracking the ground isn't an issue of style. It's a function of damping and spring rates. It's a pure physical reaction and must be able to cope with anything it faces from the terrain. Rider 'style' shouldn't change how it works, or more importantly, be required to ride around deficiencies in suspension action...
I think that's why when really seriously good people get into suspension tuning (RS BlackBox, BOS, etc) you don't see riders f'ing around. The factory guys take their feedback, tune the suspension to combat what they're being told the bike does (NOT 'give it more rebound damping') and the rider gets on with it. Sure, we don't have that luxury, but I'm sure the Kowa guys already know how to set this up without needing 1000 dials to get it to work well.
Anyway, my rant's over.
Great review, BTW. I don't DH, and rarely ride a DH bike, but I think I got a great impression of how they perform.

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Edit 2: Nice review Evan, good to hear some of the details. Any downsides you've found?

Cheers!
I haven't found any dowsides yet, but i haven't had them all that long either. Not that i'm expecting to find faults or flaws, but if anything crops up i will keep all informed through this review.

Also, i believe Kowa were the manufacturers of THE's mobs fork back in the day... So they do have a little experience in mtb suspension, but i also have been told they have been in the suspension arena since the 40s or somethig like that, so they have a lot of experience.

lobstar

Likes Dirt
damm i wish this review was up 6 months ago..was so close to getting some.
nice review going to keep alot more of an open mind in the future.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
What adjustments does the 200Si have? I take it just air pressure (was it dual air? ie. two valves?), rebound and travel.

It would be interesting to see how effective the compression adjustments are on the next model up and whether they provide a usable range.

Do you think you will be utilizing the travel adjust feature very often? It seems like an odd thing to have on a DH fork to be honest.

Great review!

Nice review Evan. No kidding that it was all good and not much wrong... I can't believe you found a fork to rave about more then your 40's! We gota hit up another ride soon, caint wait for a turn on these babies.

So... is there a single crown fork in the pipeline (or in existance)? Could be keen on a nice set of light, infinately adjustable travel forks to round out the hardtail... need to be 20mm though.

brutasauras

Likes Dirt
the forks sound great but i wish bike parts companys would also supply some sort of maximum fatigue rating test along with their part weights so then you can decide on a strength to weight ratio.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
What adjustments does the 200Si have? I take it just air pressure (was it dual air? ie. two valves?), rebound and travel.
One air valve, when the travel adjust knob is open, the negative spring(top out),and main spring, are open and therefore the same pressure. You could adjust one after the other is set and the knob closed, but it'd have a tiny effect, is not recomended and would void the benefit of travel adjust.
They have a rebound in the other leg. This leg can be set as a vacume but I'm not sure if it'd last long.
Oil height can be changed in this leg, but again, I'm unsure if there's anything major to gain in it.
A bit of oil can be added to the air spring leg to reduce chamber size and assist in ramping, but a very lightweight coil spring is supplied and can be used to dial in ramp up and sensitivity if you can't get it right with just air.

It would be interesting to see how effective the compression adjustments are on the next model up and whether they provide a usable range.
I'm predicting the compression in the 200sx and also the inverted GF will make the use of the coil spring option obsolete.
The 200Si is very tuneable to get ride height and suppleness Vs bottom out dialed to what you want, we have different weight springs we'll gladly swap to try out.

Do you think you will be utilizing the travel adjust feature very often? It seems like an odd thing to have on a DH fork to be honest.
I find the main benefit of the travel adjust will be to change geo quickly for tighter or steeper tracks.
Does also aid for anyone who rides back up, uses a smaller travel bike or mainly freerides, with the odd DH runs on the weekend, they're light enough for a trail bike, but if you're only using 170mm or less, the 160ss would probably be a better option with 30-165mm travel.

Great review!
The 160ss works fine without any need for a coil spring for fine tuning, and is not supplied with one.
Thanks for the review Evan.

Last edited:

dhd

Downhill Direct
Will put these on the list for my new DHR in a few months time. I used to have some Kowa/THE forks a few years back and the quality of them was stunning. The tolerances they were machined to made everything else look very ordinary. Quality gear.

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thanks for all the comments guys,
I will have another addition to the review up soon, hit up a much burlier track today and have some new updates.

Oh, and can we keep the arguements on suspension tuning to a bare minimum please, this review is supposed to help give a full view of the Kowa forks for anyone who is interested in a pair oris just plain curious. If you really must argue, please do it in PM or create another thread.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice review Evan. No kidding that it was all good and not much wrong... I can't believe you found a fork to rave about more then your 40's! We gota hit up another ride soon, caint wait for a turn on these babies.

So... is there a single crown fork in the pipeline (or in existance)? Could be keen on a nice set of light, infinately adjustable travel forks to round out the hardtail... need to be 20mm though.
I know this was already covered but yes, there is a single crown version, the 160Ss AIR which have the same adjustments as the 200Si. I've got a set and I'm quite happy with them.

I've never really felt the need for compression adjustment on them and have also found the travel adjustment to be a very valuable asset for messing around on Street/BMX/Pump tracks.

fairy1

Banned
I also run a set of the 160SS forks and they are great, I weigh 100kg and I don't find myself wanting any more adjustments either. I run them with the standard 5wt oil and run no rebound damping at all, the ramp up rate is perfect and allows the forks to soak up every little bump and take the big hits with ease.

Those 160ss' look the shizzle! Time to start saving.

Got to hook a leg over Evan's Turner in a car park yesterday (unfortunately not a track). Two things I noticed: first was "bloody hell these are a crap load lighter then the Travis he had on there!" the whole bike felt so much more free to move. The front end was noticeably lighter to pick up and manual. The second was that bouncing on them I didn't make em bottom out. I am only 70Kg but most other forks I've tried can be bottomed with a decent shove. The Kowa's just ramped up and shoved me back... Nice!

edit: Third thing is that they look sveeeet!