Kowalski Classic 2015 - 20 Sept - Entries Now Open

Kowalski Brothers

Legends of the Shovel
Kowalski's Stairway to Heaven

Our epic new climb is complete end to end and will officially open next weekend. We have a number of tweaks to finish up but we'll attend to those on our Wednesday trail session. Steep, squirrely and downright technical in places, it slithers about the hillside like a snake on acid. Stairway has more than its fair share of technical features too (we call them stairs), some of which will require a 'power move' to clean. The stairs go up and down, so expect to 'free climb' here and there. Stairway to Heaven will reward skill and stamina. Race it for the very first time at the Kowalski Classic (Full and Half distance) on September 20. bit.ly/1IzBkGe

Attachments

Kowalski Brothers

Legends of the Shovel
Half Kowalski Course Profile

James and I rode the Half Kowalski course today and loved it (despite the post-rain squelchiness). We think you will too. The course takes you through the best trails in the Far East, most of Middle Earth and a couple of the coolest (but seldom ridden) trails in the Wild Wild West before you head back toward HQ. The course is bang on 50km and the course profile is shown here (975m total elevation).

The Mid-Race Espresso Bar & Feed Zone will be at 36.2km (after a fun-as scramble up Escalator). Be sure to fuel up here, because the last 10km will test you.

Attachments

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
James and I rode the Half Kowalski course today and loved it (despite the post-rain squelchiness). We think you will too. The course takes you through the best trails in the Far East, most of Middle Earth and a couple of the coolest (but seldom ridden) trails in the Wild Wild West before you head back toward HQ. The course is bang on 50km and the course profile is shown here (975m total elevation).

The Mid-Race Espresso Bar & Feed Zone will be at 36.2km (after a fun-as scramble up Escalator). Be sure to fuel up here, because the last 10km will test you.
Fun...You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means ;)

I love how the profile up Stairway kinda looks as crazy as the trail itself!

Kowalski Brothers

Legends of the Shovel
Fun...You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means ;)

I love how the profile up Stairway kinda looks as crazy as the trail itself!
Ha ha. I like riding Escalator (and not just because I built it) so it is fun in my own twisted way. Stairway, well she's a way crazier trail, flicking about all over the place, jammed full of things to think about, to work your way through. There's a few false rewards too which accounts for why it looks jagged.

Kowalski Brothers

Legends of the Shovel
Romper Room is NOW OPEN

A very busy winter of trail building has meant we’ve finished our epic new trails a few weeks earlier than anticipated.
We opened Stairway to Heaven (a technical/challenge climbing trail) the weekend before last and surprised ourselves by finishing Romper Room (an exciting new descent trail) on Saturday. Trail signs are up (we even cut a ribbon) and since then riders have been exploring.

Here’s the feedback so far.

Both trails will feature in the Full and Half Kowalski — in fact they are the second to last descent and the final climb, so they’ll most likely be the subject of conversation as soon as people cross the line.

Viva la Kowalski

Attachments

Last edited:

Kowalski Brothers

Legends of the Shovel
365 (or near enough to)

is stairway and the tracks around it rideable outside of the race day (ie not on private property) ?
Yes. Everything we have built in East Kowen (as well as Sparrow Hill) is available to ride year round. The only exceptions are when the venues have been booked out for something like an event or in cases of venue closures by the land manager* due to extreme weather or forestry operations. The Trail Buddy App will be updated shortly to include all the new trails out there as well as Bruce Ridge and Majura Pines trails.

Alan

* The lands are owned by ACT Government and managed by the ACT Parks and Conservation Service. We work under their umbrella so to speak and have permission to draw nice lines on their hillsides.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When is the last day to register for the race?

I'm usually an early register-er but my mate who I am trying to convince is a bit of a last minute kinda dude!

Kowalski Brothers

Legends of the Shovel
When is the last day to register for the race?

I'm usually an early register-er but my mate who I am trying to convince is a bit of a last minute kinda dude!
The plan is to close by the first week of Sept, but if we hit the magic number before then, they will close earlier.
I can't be more precise than that, but entries really are coming through pretty strong just now which makes us smile.
Al (aka Des Kowalski)

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Entered!

Gotta say, the online entry stuff is pretty slick - you make it easy to donate to the trail fund, so as a local who's spent many a weekend enjoying the trails you guys have built you got a donation :)

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
You da man... thank you
We're raising funds for a rock hauler so your donation will go toward that.

Al
Ahh jeez...I've seen what you maniacs do with rock! Don't suppose my donation could instead go towards lobbying efforts to get ACT Forestry to flatten out some of the fire trails?? :laugh:

ninjananna

Likes Dirt
Rode the stairway today with a mate and had this quote looping over and over through my mind :)

Whilst I might not consider it "fun" it's one hell of a track and an achievement for all involved to be proud of (just don't let it go to your heads and turn all of Kowen into monster trail :0 ).

The other thought running on repeat through my mind was "Des can't even ride this bastard cleanly yet" that was encouragement enough for my pathetic amateur efforts.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Rode the stairway today with a mate and had this quote looping over and over through my mind :)

Whilst I might not consider it "fun" it's one hell of a track and an achievement for all involved to be proud of (just don't let it go to your heads and turn all of Kowen into monster trail :0 ).

The other thought running on repeat through my mind was "Des can't even ride this bastard cleanly yet" that was encouragement enough for my pathetic amateur efforts.
I haven't ridden (walked?!) it yet, but a mate and I wandered up and checked out some of the lower parts a few weeks back before it was open. Definitely agree that it's a huge achievement - don't think the term 'sculpting' trails has ever been more apt! Also agree that something mere mortals can tackle would be nice for the next adventure :smile:

I was looking at the Strava trace of the 50km course, seeing that a Kowalski got KOM on Stairway...then realised that it was done on a f'ing SS! I give up...

Kowalski Brothers

Legends of the Shovel
I was looking at the Strava trace of the 50km course, seeing that a Kowalski got KOM on Stairway...then realised that it was done on a f'ing SS! I give up...
That'd be Jimbo (James Hall) and yes, he is sturdy on SS. I raced pairs with him at BC Bike Race last year (on geared bikes) and I swear he was so fit he could have gone up two gears and just danced away from me on all but one day... it made me dig deep though, which was good, because it meant we got on podium 6 days out of 7 and that's not bad for a couple of old trail builders.

slimjim1, send me a PM if you'd like to make a donation and we can sort out the best method.

Al
(aka Des Kowalski)

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
You guys ever thought about doing a Kickstarter type campaign to fund your rock hauler? Make a donation reward 'shuttle runs for you and your bike to the top of beer garden in the rock hauler' and I reckon you'll be funded in no time!