Kowen Forest - What is it like?

I am planning on heading down to Kowen Forest in a few weeks time. I am taking my husband who doesn't ride much (and HATES anything rocky). We are camping at the Kowen Homestead. I had a look around some old forum posts and got a bit of a mixed response about what the riding at Kowen is like.
Can I get some feedback about what the trails are like, the best spots to ride in Kowen, a link to a GPX file if anyone has one.

Thanks,
Linda
www.EnduroExplorer.com

frensham

Likes Dirt
I am planning on heading down to Kowen Forest in a few weeks time. I am taking my husband who doesn't ride much (and HATES anything rocky). We are camping at the Kowen Homestead. I had a look around some old forum posts and got a bit of a mixed response about what the riding at Kowen is like.
Can I get some feedback about what the trails are like, the best spots to ride in Kowen, a link to a GPX file if anyone has one.

Thanks,
Linda
www.EnduroExplorer.com
Hi Linda,
Firstly, I assume you have booked the campsite and got the gate code? It's a long way from the bottom gate to the homestead.

The trails vary from good to awful at present. The main issue has been that Moto X riders have done major damage to most of what was the 24 Hr course. However, AROC recently added a number of trails for the Capital Punishment event and even though they were incredibly muddy on the day should have recovered well (unless moto X riders have found them)......
I don't have any maps or GPS info and mostly just follow my nose when out there. There are lots and lots of trails though and a good days riding can be had. As for rocks, well it is MTB after all but Kowen is not known for its rocks or technical aspects. If you want flowing quality single track then you can always ride out to Sparrow and do the 17 km loop that is set up at present. A nice ride would be out to Sparrow via some of the old 24 Hr trails, a loop of Sparrow then return to the homestead.