How to ks rage-i dropper service

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
KS didn't have a service video for the rage-i dropper i picked up last year (when it first came out). Hopefully this helps some other burner with this model post.

Important: on this model the ks branded collar does not come off. I tried removing it with a strap wrench, then some vice grips, before I got an exploded parts diagram from ks, and only succeeded in scratching it. KS responded to an email I sent, and did say a video is coming (could be there now, haven't checked). I couldn't wait, so here's the dirty insides of my post.

Teardown:
  • remove circlip from base of post
  • slide shaft and pop out the bottom plastic section. It's not threaded, but I found it easiest to twist a bit as it came out.
  • slide the metal tabs (with holes in them) out from the plastic actuator housing. This let's you remove the plastic actuator from the end of the thin shaft.

• slide the long pin out of the thin shaft
  • using the outer housing as a makeshift slide hammer, pull it out against the top shaft. You see this in the other ks service videos. This pops the two pieces apart, and let's you access the rest of the internals.
(Note: I almost lost a brass guide pin doing this. It also put some dents in the blue plastic du bushing. Maybe ks have a better way of doing it?)

Clean all of the things. Grease with slickoleum, and refit all the parts in reverse.
Notes:
- No need to grease the blue bushing (see Nerf Herder's post below)

You'll see there is a thick blue bushing, and a thin black plastic one. I think this thin black one comes split (as a flat piece), and is a real #**# to get back in when you reinsert the post. I got it in once, seemingly a complete fluke, but it kept wanting to spring open and avoid going into the post in its allotted space. I ended up trimming a super small slice off lengthwise with some scissors which helped it fit in the slot on the post better. It also helped to coil up the plastic strip tight, before putting in on the post, because it helped it to have 'inward springiness' (technical term??) which kept it from springing apart.

When reinserting the post, after getting all the guide pins in and sliding down to the end, I found the blue bushing and the rubber seal were easy to push in by pushing the saddle end all the way down towards the ks branded collar and squishing them together.

All in all, a super simple teardown and grease. Especially given the only tool required was some circlip pliers. Time will tell if the cheaper parts used in the rage-i wear out any quicker than the more expensive KS posts.

Exploded parts diagram attached. Also on ks website somewhere.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Nice ... did you have fun putting the plates back in to hold the actuator in place :) the trick relates to the height of the pushrod.

FYI ... you really only need 4 of the guide rods ... you can also get P26003 ... the teflon guide rod ... and use it to replace one or more of those brass guide rods or fill the 2 remaining slots ... if you have rotational play. Use sparingly as its better to have a little play then have too much internal friction

The Blue DU is supposed to be greaseless ... we do put a very small amount ... but pro Tip ... use some isoprophyl or similar to clean out any lube or muck from the top of the mast where both the Du and seal wipe press in. I also sometimes clean with alcohol wipes the textured rim of the seal wiper. this helps it hold in place.

If it pops out it means there was too much lube in the system and air pressure is forcing the seal up when you compress the post.

We have some KS specific presses to press in the Du and the wiper .. but if you can get the right diameter plastic conduit and cut it in half to can fit each half over the cartridge and then use that as a guide to press the DU in + a slightly wider pair to press the wiper in.

I'll take a pic of what we have ... I've been trying to source a plastic tool maker to make me one but more effort then it should be. if any of you have access to a 3d printer and can do a CAD drawing happy to give you details.

Here is where all the KS model info is now found
here is the RAGEi blow up

AS FYI ... there is a cartridge for the EXAFORM 860i and new 2021 RAGEiS with air adjustment ... both of these models are suspension productsd ie as you drop the post you get some rebound which is not the squishy death ... at the top its almost rigid (slight amount of suspension with harder impacts ... think Hardtail users / urban riders ... I'll try and post a video.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Thanks for the extra info.

Those plates in the actuator were easy. I worried about getting them back in, but no dramas. I could see the slot on the pushrod, so I pushed one part way in, and then put a little pressure on it as I moved the pushrod down a smidge. Maybe beginner's luck (like getting the flat lower bushing back in first go, then pulling it out again as I tried to replace one of the 6 brass pins. Argh!)

Good to note on grease. Will edit above re: no grease on blue bushing. I've had the seal pop out on me in the past when compressing the post.

Would be great to see a photo of the ks tools. My method for the wiper and bushing (pushing the head of the post all the way down) might damage the top lip of the wiper I guess.

Good to know on the teflon guide bushing, and only needing 4 of them. I might pull some out next service and see how it goes. The post is nice and smooth, if a little slow to return.

Are those other cartridges drop in replacements with the 2019 rage-i?

Edit: Any tips on keeping the lower black DU bushing flush with the post when reinstalling? I figured a very thin alloy shim held on as I inserted it might help (eg. coke can), but trimming a tiny bit off the edge did the trick for me and allowed it to stay in its place.

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Heee heee ... I feel ya ...

We have a shim that effectively holds the 6 rods + lower DU strip so we can line it all up with the internal channels ... I'd hate to have to do without ... so big ups to ya man.

Yep to the carts ... all the same dimensions ... and not changes in dimensions between model years for 19/20/21.

the RAGEiS isnt in production yet ... but I have the 860i cart if you want to play ... PM me ... suggest leave it for next service lololz ... I'll try get ya some shims ... but no guarantees soz ... they arent intending to issue end user tools unfortunately and service centre is only allocated a small number.

Sorry to tease but will see what I can do.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Nice write up @dirtdad!

So @Nerf Herder, you’re saying it’s possible to replace the air cartridge in my son’s 125mm Rage-i with an adjustable cartridge? Awesome if so - his post is due for a service and aside from being a bit slow to return, it hasn’t skipped a beat despite him being a typical kid and not looking after stuff. I was thinking a strip down and rebuild would help, but it’s always been a bit slow to return.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey @Nerf Herder. I have a 190mm rage I. I want to modify it to make it 180mm. Is this something that you/people have done? By the looks of things i think a wider blue bushing will do the trick. Thoughts? Opinions? I totally understand that fucking about with my dropper will void warranty etc