Ladies saddles?

Just been reading a few posts listed here.
A bit of history...
I race 24 hr MTB Races, I do long 8+hr road rides often, I have been riding and racing now (seriously) for nearly 4 yrs.
I have learnt what it feels like to go for a shower after a long ride and be stinging very badly in the nether regions.
I have had nasty saddle sores...the whole gammett really.
Here is my verdict:
Specialized have a female specific seat range in 3 sizes, dependent on your hip width(sit bones).
So if you have smaller width hips, you get the smaller size seat etc...
What this does is displaces your body weight through your sit bones evenly onto the two pads on the rear of the saddle(you do not need softness in the seat here as you would imagine, the less the better!..same with fat chamois, more to rub! ouch)
When you are sitting on your butt as opposed to putting weight into the front end, causing burning sensation etc...you just dont get the pain - but yes, it takes time to get used to your weight going through your hips..and you may get slight bruising, but it gets better.
Sometimes after 24 hrs on the bike, I get bruising and dry skin like a 20c piece on my butt cheeks where my hips push onto the seat through my glutes.
But guess what...no burning or stinging in the shower afterwards!!!! Woo hoo...
The other thing you need to look at is your reach, where is your seat in relation to your handlebars, are you putting too much weight forward? Are you stomping on the pedals? Keep your hips still and feel your pedaling power coming through your hips and glutes, relaxed but in control in the shoulders, chest back, shoulders down...
It takes time to get the position right, but its worth it and it does start with the right saddle.
I spend around $200 on mine, but you can spend less in the Specialized Range.
Hi Jess and thanks heaps for all the info. I have heard some great things about the specialized saddles and if I can't get the fi'zi:k vittesse saddle to work for me I will certainly be moving over to them.

I changed my saddle position on the weekend but haven't had a chance to go on a ride to test it out yet. Also just got a new pair of knicks so will have a few new anomalies to take into account. I am aware that by moving the saddle so that the nose sits lower can possibly push my weight further forward on the bike so will be looking out to see if this impacts on my arms/shoulders/neck.

Am hoping to get out for a ride tomorrow morning so will post afterwards and let you know how I got on.

Just an update on the saddle. I went for a 2 hour ride today and did some further saddle adjustments on route. With the seat angled a bit further down I certainly noticed an improvement - glad to report no numbness in sensitive areas. :) I'm sure I will definately be sore around my sit bones over the next few days but I know to expect this and I'm sure this will dissipate once I get out on the bike more regularly.

Thanks to all for the advice.

JessD

Likes Dirt
saddle soreness

Just an update on the saddle. I went for a 2 hour ride today and did some further saddle adjustments on route. With the seat angled a bit further down I certainly noticed an improvement - glad to report no numbness in sensitive areas. :) I'm sure I will definately be sore around my sit bones over the next few days but I know to expect this and I'm sure this will dissipate once I get out on the bike more regularly.

Thanks to all for the advice.
Just be careful with lowering the nose of the seat.
It is far more practical to be distributing your weight evenly on all the pressure points:
Hands
Feet
Sit bones
By lowering the front end of your seat, it may feel comfortable now,but go on any longer rides and you may start to notice numbness in the hands, and soreness in the shoulders, neck, upper back area too.
I have not used a vitesse saddle before so cannot comment. All I know that with an absolutely horizontal seat, I get even weight distribution and power to the pedals with NO ouchy bits in the girly bits.

Good luck

Slowpoke

Likes Dirt
Great advice JessD, particularly in relation to the tilt which I did to relieve lower back pain (and it worked) but I do experience wrist and neck pain over the longer rides (6hrs+). I think my death grip and lack of core strength doesn't help either.

I have a WTB Speed She that I have found perfectly adequate, particularly since having kids, but it is a bit on the heavy and bulky side. I put it on the road bike for long road rides and will probably retire it there or to the commuter.

My Anthem came with a Gobi, which doesn't work at all for me, particularly at the end of the day, but one of my girlfriends swears by hers.

I suspect my sit bones have blown out a bit since having kids, but I still want to get something I can get off the back of and still get back on.

Any recos?

If anyone can PM me about shops with saddle trial or fitting services in Canberra I would be grateful.

Last edited:
Can I recommend you try anything that has a cut-out in the centre? the worst thing I think is constant friction and if there is a cut-out there is nothing to rub (although on the roadie it can be a pain if its raining).

Also invest in some decent knicks with a good chamois and without a seam down the inside of the leg even the flatlock ones have a ridge that can cause problems.

Final suggestion don't wear any type of briefs with your knicks - they are not designed that way.

Agree with JessD fiddling with dropping the nose of your seat will affect your comfort and worse handling of the bike (eg ability to get off the back of the seat etc)

Slowpoke

Likes Dirt
I have just bought a Specialized Windie XC ($75). They do three sizes. I got my sit bones measured and bought the middle one. It was interesting that there was no mid range option (next step up was around $180).

Very comfy and I imagine that it will be good for long rides. Not altogether convinced that it will be much easier to get off the back than my Speed She. I have not really had a chance to test it out yet on the technical stuff and although LBS offered to exchange, it is a bit grubby already so that is unlikely.

Anyway, I dont want to blame my gear when I clearly have some comitment issues. I think I am afraid that I will loose control of the bike when I go off the back given that i tend to lever off my saddle in so many other circumstances.

Any thoughts?

Megs:)

Likes Dirt
Not sure if this is what you mean by "any thoughts", but if you're needing to get more comfy with going off the back of the saddle, try going down a super steep hill first. As steep as you can find, and long enough that you can get off the back of your saddle and stay there as you descend this hill (preferably something not techy, just wickedly steep). The steeper it is, the less weird it feels being off the back - when you start descending on the saddle, you'll feel like you'll be pitched over the bars, but when you get off the back it suddenly doesn't seem so steep and you get used to the position. Remember to extend your arms right out and push your feet forward of your bum and your position should kind of sort itself out. Experiment with getting way low so your tummy is on the saddle. Then once you're happy with being back there on steep but easy stuff, scooting off the back for brief moments on little techy dropoffs will feel easier. :)

Fi

Chocolate Foot
Not sure if this is what you mean by "any thoughts", but if you're needing to get more comfy with going off the back of the saddle, try going down a super steep hill first. As steep as you can find, and long enough that you can get off the back of your saddle and stay there as you descend this hill (preferably something not techy, just wickedly steep). The steeper it is, the less weird it feels being off the back - when you start descending on the saddle, you'll feel like you'll be pitched over the bars, but when you get off the back it suddenly doesn't seem so steep and you get used to the position. Remember to extend your arms right out and push your feet forward of your bum and your position should kind of sort itself out. Experiment with getting way low so your tummy is on the saddle. Then once you're happy with being back there on steep but easy stuff, scooting off the back for brief moments on little techy dropoffs will feel easier. :)

Great advice - however I'd just add that it's a good idea to begin with the basics - practice getting into this position on the flat first rather than a steep hill! Then you'll get a feel for how to get behind your saddle, whether your clothing might get in the way, whether your saddle is going to inhibit this movement, etc. etc. Better be comfortable on the flat before putting it into the real situation and finding out you're not! Then head to an easy steep hill, as Megs suggests :)

Slowpoke

Likes Dirt
Thanks, all good thoughts.

I am all to familiar with going over the bars, as such it is time to seek advice. I have had a few nasty stacks this year and they are doing my head (not to mention my riding) in.

My fear is about loosing control of the bike when I am no longer levering of the saddle. It feels a bit wobbly when I practice it in the absence of a technical challenge.

I am also afraid of hitting my bum on the rear wheel and/ or catching the front of my knicks on the way back on and then the bike getting out of control, not to mention hitting a rib.

Are these real risks or matters of perception?

Fi

Chocolate Foot
Thanks, all good thoughts.

I am all to familiar with going over the bars, as such it is time to seek advice. I have had a few nasty stacks this year and they are doing my head (not to mention my riding) in.
Depending on the situation, commitment from the rider and momentum (not excessive speed!) are generally critical to avoiding those over the bars moments. And weight distribution - pulling on the front brake hard when your weight is heading forwards is not good. Somehow, though, it's what we instinctively do when we panic!

My fear is about loosing control of the bike when I am no longer levering of the saddle. It feels a bit wobbly when I practice it in the absence of a technical challenge.
Perhaps you are pushing yourself back too far (or your bike is too long for you)? Or you're not lowering yourself enough to help your reach? Your arms should be braced with a slight bend, not locked out, in order to keep control of the bike.

I am also afraid of hitting my bum on the rear wheel and/ or catching the front of my knicks on the way back on and then the bike getting out of control, not to mention hitting a rib.

Are these real risks or matters of perception?
Your bum hitting the rear wheel is a fairly extreme position to be in - most of the steep stuff doesn't actually require you to be this far back. I've been more likely to catch my clothing on the way back rather than getting back on, which has been due to old saggy lycra or baggy shorts which aren't designed for MTB. Plus the nose of the saddle is pointy and more likely to grab clothing than the back. Practice getting into the position so you're comfortable with it, and you will then just do it naturally when you actually need to!

If you're not sure you're doing it right, get someone to take a pic of you and post it here (or send me a pm for my email so I can take a look, if you like?).

Cheers

Fi

riderideride

Likes Dirt
I've got caught on the seat before getting back on the saddle. It was pretty funny actually. Lucky for me I wasnt going too fast and there was a tree to hold onto until I could clip out. My shorts just would not budge from the back of that seat though! hehe:D

Slowpoke

Likes Dirt
I've got caught on the seat before getting back on the saddle. It was pretty funny actually. Lucky for me I wasnt going too fast and there was a tree to hold onto until I could clip out. My shorts just would not budge from the back of that seat though! hehe:D
So it does happen!! I a going to borrow some armour!

Tonik

Cannon Fodder
Thanks to everyone who had positive comments to help me and others with this issue.

I have bought a Velo Serena Sport Gemini.

Only $60 online and felt great the moment i sat on it.

Been for a few rides now and its definitely the best saddle ive used. :D

Megs:)

Likes Dirt
Maybe it's comfy, but 400g?!!! Way too heavy. :rolleyes:
BTW MittagongMTB what are you doing lurking in the girls section posting about womens saddles? :eek: