Landcruiser or Patrol??? Coil or Leaf? which is better??

MTBmaster05

Likes Dirt
Hey people!

Getting license in 10 months and need to start looking for a 4wd. I am digging the Patrol over hte cruiser, but i want your opinions on these two sick cars. And also whats different between coil and leaf suspension and whats better??

Cheers Hayden :D

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt

this is what you want. hands down. lets see see a cruiser or patrol follow one of these without diff lockers. my parents have one and a patrol. the landie dicks over all

ozz

Likes Bikes
landcruisers are better all rounders, come with a higher pricetag.
patrols ive heard are a little better offroad, bit stronger, but pretty basic and ordinary onroad.

coils are better for just about everything but carrying heavy loads

really 2/10ths of fuck all difference in the long run. They are both great 4wds especially modded.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What are you going to be using it for?
What's your budget?
Specifically, what models are you looking at?

It's all relative!

chris95

Likes Dirt
Wat about the Hilux??

And hayden we all Know Crusiers FTW, Its like comparing a hardtail Vs duelly for Dh:D

P.S I get my licence in 4months:):):)

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt

this is what you want. hands down. lets see see a cruiser or patrol follow one of these without diff lockers. my parents have one and a patrol. the landie dicks over all

and the first thing anyone buying one of these in any of the wheelbases does is changes the axle, to aftermarket option. they will break, its just about the only thing that will break on them. they are pretty tough

the hilux is pretty bullet proof (diesel model) with a small lift kit and some micky tompsons they can go just about anywhere and if you do sink it, drag it out let it sit for a wee bit, and she will run just fine

MTBmaster05

Likes Dirt
oh sick,

price range- $20.000 max
model- GU Patrol
Year- 2000...
Use- 4wding, shuttling and work (hopefully)

oh and chris bud, we all know you will follow in booms path of driving.....yes i do mean into a drain. :D

Jimass

Eats Squid
Patrol would be your best bet.
Solid axle is better than the IFS in the land-cruisers according to most.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Isuzu Landrover County(like the army use). If you have a high budget, turbo it, LPG gas it, etc etc
GQ Patrol, same as above.
I'd say these two are the best 4WDs available for 4WDing.
If you'll want better handelling, then get something with indapendant suspension like a Navara.
We do need to know budget.
Nissan and Toyota for reliability, or a low KM Isuzu,Landy.

sam705

Likes Dirt
Hilux over anything mentioned, bit of lift with a nice set of runner and you'll be laughing at the others stuck...
And roll it in the process. Lifted hiluxs are known to roll due to their skinny stance. Patrols and cruisers are a fair bit wider, hence making rolling less likely.

75 series cruisers are leaf sprung, 79 series on are coil.

I've got a 75 series cruiser, 33inch tyres and 2inch suspension lift with parabolic springs in the front. It see's the rough stuff frequently and loves it. My 1HZ engine has done 461,000 and hasn't missed a beat. Cruisers hold their value really well due to them being known to last a long time.

Mate's got a GU patrol ute that's huge, worked with top mounted intercooler the size of your dining table and it gets anywhere!

Coil is generally the expensive way to go, as anything with coils will be later model units. Coils will provide a way smoother ride, and you'll be able to lift your ute higher as you can only get a maximum of about 3inch lift with leafs.

It's going to really come down to what you plan to use it for and how much dosh you wish to part with.

scratchy

Farkin Activist
What are you going to do with it?

If you're young don't have a big income I'd avoid all 4WDs because they cost serious money to run. Hilux are probably the cheapest to run but the old models were called Roll-luxes for a reason. Very dangerous vehicles especially with lift kits. Please ensure your an organ donor if you take this route.

If you want to be broke all the time get a landcruiser troupie great vehicles for 4WD but if you're driving around town it will cost you a bomb. The new Landcruiser workmate V8s are my favourite all purpose 4WD, but the Prados are a very tight machine for long distance country driving but lack a bit of clearance when things get serious. Both are serious money. Better off buying a cheap ricer and hiring a 4WD when you actually need it. You'll get a new 4WD and save heaps of money.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I forgot to mention the little Suzukis.
Scratchys talking of fuel consumtion reminded me.
A modern Diesel on LPG would be pretty ecenomical, but you'd have to keep it for years, and your still driving 2ton of metal around.

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Unless you have shoulders wider than a small child, the centre console is so big that your seat is squished against the B-pillar so you have no shoulder room. Seriously, worst interior design of any vehicle in existence. It's as if they believe because your driving around in a 4wd you have to be manly and uncomfortable, same with cruisers, there isn't a footrest on the clutch side, though I'm not sure about the 70 series.

Nissan is the only one to get it right, it's just a pitty that in recent years they running gear isn't as durable as it used to be with the GQ.

Last edited:

indica

Serial flasher
My petrol Triton dual cab 2001 goes fine, hitting 300,000ks and hasnt missed a beat, doesnt cost too much to run, and stock is fine for not hardcore 4WD. Has been hammered for shuttles and pulled a heavy trailer while full in the tray 3,500 ks for a house move.
They cheap now too.

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey people!

Getting license in 10 months and need to start looking for a 4wd. I am digging the Patrol over hte cruiser, but i want your opinions on these two sick cars. And also whats different between coil and leaf suspension and whats better??

Cheers Hayden :D
Answering the actual question now after the rant^^. Seriously, the most capable cheap 4wd you will find is a Suzuki Sierra. Those things will go places that bigger supposedly more capable 4wd's won't go near and when you do get it bogged (which you will), it's very easy to pull out.

Big 4wd's are very expensive to keep in propper working order.

If you aren't swimming in cash (which I take given it's your first car) and you really want a big bad 4wd, a GQ Patrol Wagon Diesel is hard to beat. The MQ can be had very very cheap as well, though they're all getting on a bit. What ever you do, when it comes to vehicles approaching the 2Te, stay away from petrol.

Last edited:

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On a budget Patrol, if you can afford it then definitely Cruiser, for something different maybe a Jeep Wrangler?

Not a hard choice.. If your willing to pay up.

IMO, the patrol is pretty much Your best bet. If you can find a coil 4.2, preferably turbo you cant really go wrong. Very solid car out the bush. Rides great, its just a pity they got rid of the 4.2 (post '06 i think but feel free to correct me on that) cause it was a machine.
For 20k you should be able to pick youself up a very neat GQ wagon or a GU possibly.
*NOTE* I'm not sure if this is the case with the wagons but i know not all of the GU utes are coil all round, some have a Leaf rear end. Just something to look out for. Although if you do get your heart set on a patrol they are considerably cheaper.

As for the cruisers welll...
Are they cheaper? Yes. Do you get more value for money? No, not always.
Presuming your talking about the 75 series, being leafs all round they are much stiffer, have less 'flex' (without some fairly major mods), they do not have an LSD in the rear which is a real bummer if you plan to do much 4wding and have an all round less comforatble ride. This being said i have had some mates who have owned them and they have got most of the places our patrols have gotten, although they were given a damn hard floggin to get there, and the passengers needed to visit the chiropractor after just about every second trip!

In the end it all comes down to personal preference and how much of your hard earned dosh your willing to cough up. Sure, if you have got the money to spend on serious suspention mods, you can consider a 'cruiser, but untill then you gonna be a little more comforatable in your stock Patrol. And dont you dare compare a (gut) lux with either of these two fourbies!

Anyway theres my rant for the night. Might retire to the couch for a little while now :rolleyes:

Edit: I dont suppose your in Victoria are you mate?
My brother is selling his GQ 4.2TD coil ute if your interested

Last edited:

brindog

Likes Dirt
Answering the actual question now after the rant^^. Seriously, the most capable cheap 4wd you will find is a Suzuki Sierra. Those things will go places that bigger supposedly more capable 4wd's won't go near and when you do get it bogged (which you will), it's very easy to pull out.

I'll also vouch for this, Suzuki's are the best, but it depends what you are going to do, as they are small, they will go twice as far as a pootroll or a landsnoozer. And good on fuel.
If you want some thing more modern get a Jimny, (a new sierra), pick up a 2005 model (VVT engine) for around $13,000, and spend your saved cash on mod's, lockers, lift, tyres, ect, you'll have a offroad weapon.