Laptops

indica

Serial flasher
Call your local MSY, ask for the Acer Aspire E1-570-53334G50MNKK. They have it on sale for $499.
Older processor though.
E Bay have a tech store sale on now. Finishes today. 20% off.
Just grabbed a Dell 5th Gen i5 with a 1tb hd, for $639 delivered

Minlak

custom titis
Just a heads up:-

Due to the machine called marketing you all need to be aware of what you are buying. A 5th Gen Intel processor is a shadow of its former self. Check out the model number of the CPU and you will find your I7 is only a Dual Core Cpu just like your I3 same as your I5. They started introducing it in the 4th Gen CPU's. The laptops got cheaper as the cpu got cheaper but it only got cheaper as they hobbled them all.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Just a heads up:-

Due to the machine called marketing you all need to be aware of what you are buying. A 5th Gen Intel processor is a shadow of its former self. Check out the model number of the CPU and you will find your I7 is only a Dual Core Cpu just like your I3 same as your I5. They started introducing it in the 4th Gen CPU's. The laptops got cheaper as the cpu got cheaper but it only got cheaper as they hobbled them all.
they put them into my Xeon's instead. thank you very much

Minlak

custom titis
they put them into my Xeon's instead. thank you very much
Completely off topic I just built up an X58 Chipset with a 980X cpu and it still smashes 90% of the new desktop stuff. (Talking main stream commercial (home user))That's 5yr old tech in 6 cores of hyperthreading triple channel ram goodness :)

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Completely off topic I just built up an X58 Chipset with a 980X cpu and it still smashes 90% of the new desktop stuff. (Talking main stream commercial (home user))That's 5yr old tech in 6 cores of hyperthreading triple channel ram goodness :)
desktops are all over. I find myself using the ipad to interface to my virtual machines running on my server, but server and it's DAS full of 24tb of SAS love uses 800watts, I don't keep it on. 24/7

i've started playing with raspberry pi, amazing. I'm seeing so many uses

Minlak

custom titis
desktops are all over. I find myself using the ipad to interface to my virtual machines running on my server, but server and it's DAS full of 24tb of SAS love uses 800watts, I don't keep it on. 24/7

Raspberry Pi is so 2 years ago its all about VR and neural interfacing now.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Desktops will never be over mate. Ipads/macs are considered toys in the Engineering game. VNC/Virtual machines tech is getting much better however for general work usage, its still much too slow.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Older processor though.
E Bay have a tech store sale on now. Finishes today. 20% off.
Just grabbed a Dell 5th Gen i5 with a 1tb hd, for $639 delivered
Gen means nothing, its all about clock speeds voltage, heat and physical core count.

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Desktops will never be over mate. Ipads/macs are considered toys in the Engineering game. VNC/Virtual machines tech is getting much better however for general work usage, its still much too slow.

I look after 35 sites with 250 servers, all have a bunch of VM's for management at each site running on r210s and r710s, and I carry a macbook pro, two win7 notebooks and an ipad. I use my desktop in the office solely for email. while not actually dead as you point out, sales of desktops are down 40% in a decade. and with the arrival of the raspberry pi 2 thats VERY capable, i'm beginning to see (and play with) the "internet of things".