large frame

alpinestar12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys. I'm looking for a new frame for my XC/commuter bike. I found a 22" norco frame in a bike shop, it has around a 615mm top tube. I am 187cm or so. Do you think it would be too big for me?

go to bed jessica

Likes Dirt
Well, I'm 200cm and ride a KHS with a 625mm top tube, but I have also ridden a 21" Giant with a 613mm top tube for a long time and it was just a little too short for me, so the frame you're looking at should be spot on, but I'd try to sit on something similar first.

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
that would be an XL, massive bike, and definetely too big.

too uncomfortable as well.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Is that real or effective? I'm 180cm and *currently* riding a Speccy epic with a 615 effective TT + 110 stem. I'm funny fit though and have short legs. the 22" seat tube might be more your issue but I guess it depends on how you measure up...

*shrug*

Cheers
Gonz

alpinestar12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not too concerned about standover height. It was a rough measurment but it was 615 effective. I have back problems, and and currently have a 16" frame which is very uncomfortable. The bike will be used for commuting and maybe a little XC. I guess it would be better to get a 19" or so frame with a long stem and seat slid back (which is how my duallie is set up) than the 22" with a short stem and seat foward?

thanks for the help guys

Bodin

GMBC
Hey guys. I'm looking for a new frame for my XC/commuter bike. I found a 22" norco frame in a bike shop, it has around a 615mm top tube. I am 187cm or so. Do you think it would be too big for me?
I think it probably would be too big. I'd be very surprised if you needed a frame 7.5cm bigger than mine, considering you're only 2cm taller.

I'm 185cm and generally feel comfortable on a 20" frame. I've just built up a new hardtail around a 19" frame with a 120mm stem and a setback seatpost and am finding it pretty comfortable.

alpinestar12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OK. I guess I'll wait for a smaller frame. Thanks for all the help. If anyone has a L frame for sale let me know please.

krisko

Likes Dirt
Im the same height and here are my thoughts.
If standover height is not a consideration the longer top tube (Not that much longer than say a giant Large XC bike like an XTC) would be suited to commuting. Horizontal back means better aerodynamics. It would aslo meansit has a longer wheelbase (generally speaking) meaning better stability at high speeds and because your not doing alot of switchbacks commuting, would be ideal.

Seat position fore/aft should be set independantly from frame length and based on your knees being inline with your cleat position or back up to 40-70mm but definetely not forward from this.

Stem length is based more so on comfort and works in relation to your steering angle so if the frame has an agressive XC geometry a shorter stem will better suit.

My point is just take all things into consideration and definety get off that midget bike!