Large Shark catch and kill order WA.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Ha, you know I didn't have time to read them when I posted them, but I did read that one single line, I shit you not!!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Here's one from left field.

Instead of killing the big sharks, tow them out to sea!

http://theconversation.com/towing-sharks-out-to-sea-will-let-us-protect-people-and-sharks-22183
In shark fishing and game fishing when they catch a really big shark that is fated to be taken home and shown off as a sign of victory over nature and weakness it is not uncommon for the shark to be killed by towing. but basically tie up the tail and drag backwards for a long time and that's the end of the shark. In the article it looked to be done differrently.

It also looked like there was a mad party on the science boat.

Can someone do the stats for us on a 97% decrease in our alarmingly high attack rate please?

danthebloke

Likes Dirt
No difference.

There is a threat and the local authorties are taking action to restore confidence back into people who enjoy the water.Simple as that .

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
It's days like this that I feel ashamed to be a dumb human. Humans shouldn't be making a decision on whether or not to kill sharks and crocodiles, they should make a choice of where they choose to swim and respect the wildlife. Two things will come out of the shark cull. One, we won't see an attack for a few months and the pussies who acted on the cull will claim they have done humanity a favor or two; we'll see a shark attack and it'll prove this whole exercise (read as a vote grabber) is a load of fucking shit. You cruel arseholes.
How about humans get real and we start ridding the planet of real problems like premeditated murderers, rapists, child molesters................you try these people in court then we work to pay tax to feed the pieces of shit. Get real, the sharks aren't doing anything that is wrong to them, it's their cycle of life. Der.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
There is a threat and the local authorties are taking action to restore confidence back into people who enjoy the water.Simple as that .
Ha! Is that how it is being marketed? I think it'd be natural selection for a person to assume that the water is safe and made of fairy floss and covered in rainbows because a couple of sharks were brutally killed. You'd be a dipstick to jump into the sea thinking you're totally safe from a shark attack. A cull will change nothing and guess what..............

Sharks will still eat meat!

al_

Likes Dirt
Saltwater crocs are an entirely different proposition. They will deliberately target humans and are concentrated in high numbers in these waterways. They also spend significant amounts of time on land... and aren't endangered.

I agree that people should stay out of their way, but the threat level is very different. The chances of being attacked by a croc swimming in a Kakadu river would be thousands of times higher than being attacked by a shark in perth.

My family had salties hanging out in the playground across the road from them in Darwin - sharks don't do that very often!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Thats utter bollocks

In the NT Saltwater crocodiles are in abundance, can be easily managed without posing a danger to the species as a whole and are farmed for food, leather etc. There is also a very high chance of being taken by a croc if you go swimming at a watering hole in a National Park. The crocs that were shot weren't shot to make it safer for people in general, they were shot so that the authorities could safely search for the body of the missing child.

Crocs are still a menace in the NT but you don't hear the local government crying about them.

In WA the 'threat' is minimal. Absolutely minimal. Hundreds of thousands of people go into the water every year without incident. Or at least shark related incident. Plenty die in rips, boating accidents, jet-ski accidents, hit their head on rocks or sandbars when diving in / getting rolled by waves.

All this cull does is make everyone else in the world look up on Australia as no longer being a nation of fearless Steve Irwin/Mick Dundee types but instead a shit-scared rabble of pitchfork and torch wielding village idiots which is unfortunate as most people in Australia think that the WA government has it's head up it's arse.

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Can't help but notice us in the eastern states mesh our beaches, hav fuck all shark attacks , but scream like hippies when WA wants to do something, after all half a dozen or so sandgropers over the least few years matter less than sharks.

The hypocrisy is stunning.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Can't help but notice us in the eastern states mesh our beaches, hav fuck all shark attacks , but scream like hippies when WA wants to do something, after all half a dozen or so sandgropers over the least few years matter less than sharks.

Shite. I live on Philip Island. The largest Great White ever landed was caught just offshore from here. Everyone knows they're out there yet the beaches are still packed at this time of year. Same goes for every single beach along the Great Ocean Road and the Mornington Peninsula. People know that the bigger risk around here are rips.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches

That was caught not far from where I surf and where thousands and thousands of holidaymakers splash around every year. It's not like the local authorities try and shy away from it either. That photo can be seen proudly displayed in a couple of local pubs and there are heaps of shark memorabilia available in the local tacky tourist shops.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Beaches at mornington are packed this time of year because the swimming season is approximately 73 minutes long - unless you wear a wetty.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member

A hippie? A hypocrite? That's cute.
The most recent fatal attack in Australia happened in a patch of water on my door step that I swim near each day and I was in the water a few hours prior to the attack happening. The people who use that particular stretch of water know it is a channel that is used by sharks as a source of food. It's called The Well and anyone who catches a wave their knows it is a shark hangout. They still choose to go in the water. Our local harbour is home to a massive amount of bull sharks who swim so close to shore that you can see them from the sand. That area is our busiest beach, loaded with people. People still choose to swim there. The next beach along is wide open and covered in channels that fisherman use to catch bait and they vouch for the presence of big sharks. They all choose to use that area of water.

The Government want the tourism dollar and obviously don't give two hoots about the opinions of the majority of people. Fair cop, you need your tourism buck to survive and having a shark cull in place will do it's best to fool people into believing the water is safe. It's laughable, it's astounding that this is happening and it's even more astounding that people who choose to swim in waters where sharks live are blowing up because a shark bites someone!
Shark nets are just a buffet for sharks to cruise along and feed on all the fish caught in the nets. They are more dangerous to the ocean life and more of a threat to humans then the public are led to believe.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
A hippie? A hypocrite? That's cute.

The Government want the tourism dollar and obviously don't give two hoots about the opinions of the majority of people. Fair cop, you need your tourism buck to survive and having a shark cull in place will do it's best to fool people into believing the water is safe. It's laughable, it's astounding that this is happening and it's even more astounding that people who choose to swim in waters where sharks live are blowing up because a shark bites someone!
Shark nets are just a buffet for sharks to cruise along and feed on all the fish caught in the nets. They are more dangerous to the ocean life and more of a threat to humans then the public are led to believe.
To be fair Dozer, I've always suspected that the whole V8/Ferrari worship is an act and you actually spend your time at home driving around in a Kombi eating tofu and wearing flowers in your hair!

As I've said before if the WA government want to attract tourists over there, they need to have a cull on the sharks who are charging a kings ransom for hotels, meals, drinks etc.

There is nothing (with the exception of maybe Broome) that WA has that you can't experience elsewhere in Australia for substantially less cost and less hi-viz. Shit, If I were the State Government I'd be doing what the NT does with it's salties and make the Great Whites a tourist attraction!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
To be fair Dozer, I've always suspected that the whole V8/Ferrari worship is an act and you actually spend your time at home driving around in a Kombi eating tofu and wearing flowers in your hair!
The flowers are fine but tofu? You don't get a man's body like mine eating tofu mate! ;)

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt

We have lost too many people to sharks here is SA over the years including 1 of my volunteers a few years ago on SCUBA.

I don't know of any Adelaide beaches that have shark nets (thankfully as they kill too much marine life).

We had a lot of people here at the protest against the shark cull and I have not talked to anyone who agrees with it....