Large Shark catch and kill order WA.

When i surfed before work i used hate those little bait fish bastards, fanging through the line up with their high pitched voices "swim away swim away"

all I could think about small fish, big fish, biggest fish

and then you are done

But you are all missing the point, the real jerks of the ocean are the dolphins. They aint so cute and cuddly up close, especially when there is a shit load of them. They just got a better pr agent than the shark, that's all.

al_

Likes Dirt
It's easy in the safety of the east coast to sympathise with the shark.

I wonder how well people would go if they lived in esperance, and owned a motel or something . Fuck me, who is their rot mind would want to go swimming in an area with some where's around a thousand times greater shark risk than any of us have to deal with ?

Think of it more in terms of defending the seal population if you must.

Sharks aren't all that pleasant .
Definitely need to kill the sharks off to protect business for motel owners. Totally support messing with the evolutionary cycle to protect less demonised animals too.

We need more of that kind of thinking to bring Australia into the 21st century.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Um, what? How is living on the land, as a land based animal, different to swimming in the ocean?:tsk:
Humans have adapted to all of our envirnoments, how is you moving onto you block of land and killing an animal because it threatens your lifestyle any different?

Um, what?

Really, you think burleying sharks for tourists to look at and swim with teaches the shark bad habits? You win the internets:hungry:
Nope, It teaches them that there is a possible food source near humans
Fish bait = humans, right? :first:
...you're not the only one with an opinion Moorey, and just because you shout the loudest doesn't mean you're right.

0psi

Eats Squid
Personally I think the spike in Shark tourism is to blame as well.
It has been in SA. The sharks associate boats with Tuna frames and burley which is why a few of the ab divers have been attacked while next to their boats. I don't really agree with the practise of feeding sharks, mark my words there'll be an attack if not a death at Osprey one day.

Sharks (with the exception of Ningaloo) aren't really big business in WA, not in the way they are in SA and places like Osprey. I've heard of a few guys doing shark dives over there now but it isn't a hugely advertised fact and I don't think it's been going on long enough to see a change in behaviour.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Bull sharks are known man eaters, they're awesome pieces of work. They can survive in fresh water and have been found 100s km up river from the ocean. LTIL after the floods in Qld, there is a golf course with 2 bull sharks swimming around in one of the water hazards. Go Sharks :cheer:
That's cool.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I remember going for a dive off Esperance about a decade ago. Due to their being an odd number of people on the boat and me having my shit together scuba wise the dive master let me roll around the dive area on my own...

First thing that got me was the cold. Fuck me it was freezing despite being the end of February. The next was the viz. You could see for about 80 metres before it got misty. The last was the topography - granite slopes with only a few outcrops and cracks. Nowhere to hide.

I spent most of the dive peering over my shoulder to see what might be charging up from behind whilst trying to actually focus on the sights of what was a fucking great dive....

Knocking over a few sharks is not a solution...merely a distraction that makes for 'good news' but serves almost no purpose.

Much akin to some-one braining a few MTB riders as they go by because they ride trails they aren't supposed to...it's not a holistic solution but it makes stupid people feel happier.

Diving with the Grey Nurse Sharks at SW Rocks is a hoot...especially when you swim up behind one in the gloom...amazing they are still there to be honest given how full of fish hooks they were at the time (2001). Keep an eye out for hammerheads too. A fleet of the fuckers cruised over us on one dive. Bloody fabulous.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
You sound like the type of person that hates the ocean? Am I right? lol
No, I love the ocean, I just have a realistic perception of my exclusivity rights to its use. I have an agreement with the sharks; Don't eat me in my living room, but if I venture into yours, I understand I'm a canape.

Last Christmas I was visiting WA, there were daily shark sightings around the beaches where I was staying. It was a 3m tiger shark only approx 50m off the shore. The helicopter buzzed over me on 2 seperate occasions only to hover (a little ways down the beach) above the water which drives the sharks off. This was close, really close if you know what I mean.

Now, the shore line is not the sharks backyard, never has been, never will be. While I don't think a global culling is a good thing, cull of the largest sharks aint a bad thing.
Have you explained this to the sharks? Is there adequate signage at the 50m point to inform the sharks of this universal law of nature? Seriously, if its wet its theirs, if its dry its ours. Remind me how many people have been taken by sharks above the tide line?

Personally I think the tools who dress up in neoprene, and lie on seal shaped pieces of foam are to blame for the unusually large quantities sharks closer into shore and the spike in attacks.
I agree with that statement whole heartedly :thumb:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
It's easy in the safety of the east coast to sympathise with the shark.

I wonder how well people would go if they lived in esperance, and owned a motel or something . Fuck me, who is their rot mind would want to go swimming in an area with some where's around a thousand times greater shark risk than any of us have to deal with ?

The east coast of Australia has a few shark attacks and a lot of sightings each year. I'll admit it isn't the numbers or the severity of the attacks in other areas of our country but we still get it.
My Vet .....my dog's Vet? My Vet? Ummmm) is a free diver in Coffs Harbour and he has told me of lots of sightings with one particular instance hanging in my memory. He said he was 2km off shore in autumn doing a freedive in somewhat green water with visibility in the first few metres of water at about ten metres he said. He was doing what ever free divers do to get their lungs and shit right and was a couple of metres under the surface when he saw an ominous dark blob a few metres below him. He said his initial impression was a whale as we get a few whales in our area but the guy near him with the scuba gear and camera suggested otherwise. It was a great white and it was massive, by all calculations it was five metres they said. Of course, being the typical fisherman that he is I assumed he was bull shitting....................... that was until he pulled the photos up from the cameraman who got a couple of shots under the water before hauling their arses top side. They did get a clear shot showing it was indeed a great white. They were thrilled, it was a bloody beauty.
Several other sightings have been confirmed and scientists have shown the paths of great whites they've microchipped and they go all over the place.

Maybe you western and southern folk should stop putting Asian tourists in cages and scaring the shit out of them by baiting sharks to want what's in the cage. :crazy:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Fuck me, who is their roight mind would want to go swimming in an area with some where's around a thousand times greater shark risk than any of us have to deal with ?
Exactly, but they still do??

I'm sure the seals are eternally grateful, however the penguins will be pissed the sharks are no longer defending theirs.

Neither are reality show participants, unfortunately my application for a permit to cull their numbers has been repeatedly denied.

I once hit a tree while riding a trail. So I went home, got my Husqy and cut down every one of those unpleasant fuckers along that trail. You can thank me next time you ride there.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Not that I want to bring this thread down with niceties such as facts and all, BUT, the director general of the dept of fisheries who may actually know a thing or 2 about marine shit, has said they are trying to catch the specific shark and may consider putting it down.

So no wholesale slaughter etcetera etcetera ....

Carry on....

;)