largest open water race in the world!

Bonnet

Likes Dirt
hey all,

just want to let you all know that the Rottnest channel swim is on this saturday the 19th of Feb. it is touted as being the longest open water swim and attracts over 2300 competitors...of which i am one.

the course is 19.2km of open water from Cottesloe Beach to Rottnest Island and expected finishing times range from 5hr 30mins to 8+hrs.

The Event

* 19.2km ocean swim from Cottesloe Beach to Rottnest Island
* Categories of entrant: solo, duo and teams of 4
* Largest open water swim in the world. Victoria's Pier to Pub has more competitors but it is conducted in a bay and not through open water.
* It is Rottnest Island's largest day of the year, with over 10,000 spectators, supporters and competitors on the island
* Over 180 kegs of beer are consumed
* More than 650 support craft including Fremantle and Whitfords Sea Rescue, the Department of Planning and Infrastructure Fisheries, Water Police and Rottnest Island Authority rangers
* Over 50 volunteers and staff on the beaches and the water to ensure everyone is accounted for at the end of the day
180 kegs, now THATS what im hanging out for!
if you know anyone else in the swim, wish them luck in this thread i guess...

ASH

scblack

Leucocholic
One of the guys I work with did this swim two years ago, in a team of four - therefore doing 5kms of the event. He really enjoyed it.

And did it in sort of shark cage! You know, the open top ones that the boat tows along for you.