Last two miners found alive!!

nick

Likes Dirt
Just had a news flash on the telly that the last two miners trapped down a mine in Tasssie have been found alive!! Thats a bloody good effort I reckon itd get freezing stuck under ground at night (and of course its 15degrees colder than mainland down there;))

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good news for sure! I know many many people will be reilived :)

Tasmania is 15 degrees cooler then the mainland? Bit of a mass generalization there :p I was in Launceston today, Friday was warmish, Saturday was fine and sunny, and today was shaping up to be a reasonable day too; I fly into Melbourne today and it's pouring rain, and cold... :rolleyes:

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i'd be willing to bet that it would be relatively warm underground. caving last winter we came out of a cave at 2am, it was 17 degrees in the cave, -6 degrees outside.

i actually have no idea what it would be like in a mine but i assume that it would be a similar sort of situation.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Quiet warm from memory - If I remeber correctly they, the media were saying earlier in the week it was warm (over 30c) and humid down in the tunnels.

Frazzle

Likes Dirt
Thats awesome, when things that like happen it always makes me think, what would be going through your mind 1km underground, no contact with family, you couldn't tell them that you are ok, I reckon i would have a mental breakdown...

Registered Nutter

Likes Dirt
Werent they there from tuesday? if so stuck under ground with no food or water since then there pretty lucky to be alive. Thumbs up to those who found them.

just saw...

they were inside some kind of cage while working, that's what stopped them being crushed !

i swear if that was me it would be church every sunday from now on :p

but that's great

spare a thought for the other guy that WAS killed, and his family...:(

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My husband works underground. The deeper you go the warmer it gets - and more humid too, they have to have these huge fans & vents pumping air down the tunnel. If it's relatively shallow it would probably be a comfy constant 20 degrees or so, but yeah deeper it gets warmer and just imagine stale hot air.

I don't think it would have been too comfy for them though. Obviously they do have various saftety measures (safety breathing aparatus they must carry at all times) saftery chambers at certain intervals.

Absolutely fantastic to hear that news!!!

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
I've just logged in after being away for the weekend and I reckon that's about the best news I could have hoped to read :cool:

I honestly thought they were gone..... I'm very glad to be wrong:)

twitchy

Likes Bikes
nick said:
Just had a news flash on the telly that the last two miners trapped down a mine in Tasssie have been found alive!! Thats a bloody good effort I reckon itd get freezing stuck under ground at night (and of course its 15degrees colder than mainland down there;))
Brilliant that they got them. If you have ever been underground that far it is actually quite warm not cold.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
nick said:
Great news, i've seen the news flashes too. Answered a lot of prayers.
There is still great danger involved in the actual rescue operation so i think that they shouldn't give it a lot of attention until the men are actually rescued.
Just to clear something up, the miners would actually be in stifly (maybe) but definitely hot conditions at 1 km under the ground, and that temperature would not change significantly at night, the earth retains its heat, especially that far down.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
That is the best news I've heard for a long time. I heard the news flash first thing today and I felt so relieved for those guys and their family. It is a great way to start the day, especially a Monday! To all the people involved in the rescue: Good work, well done. You should never have to pay tax on anything again.
Do you think these guys will continue being miners? I reckon they might take up a job doing something less imposing....

R33F

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Congratulations should also be given to their mates, and the rescue crew who never gave up on them. Very happy for them and their families.

On the other side of the coin, Mike Munro needs to be bent over and rooted for the worst live coverage, interview crosses, and combined with the most ridiculous questions I have ever seen asked on Australian tv. Between him and his 'onsite' reporter, they made a complete balls of interviewing relatives and alike last nite. Very Frustrating.