LBS Upgrade Policy on New bikes

nimrodx

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

I'm interested to hear what people expect or have experienced out there..

Imagine you are buying a new bike, say one of substantial cost 5K+ and are
not that keen on one component (forks would be a common one). SO you want
to upgrade the forks on the bike.

What sort of deal would you expect from the LBS? Would you expect
to have to pay for the existing fork + the new fork, then sell off the existing?

Have any of you got a better deal than that?
What do you expect?

THanks guys,

N

moorey

call me Mia
Will vary from place to place. One lbs here upgraded slx full drivetrain and brakes to xt on a mates bike for about $60 from memory. They kept the slx gear of course.
Other places I've known have not given a cent of discount on the upgraded item. It's not unknown to offer a reasonable discount and shop keeps the upgraded item.

I would expect you would only pay the difference if you bought the upgraded fork from the LBS. The LBS should not be out of pocket and likewise If you are buying a bike you should not need to buy 2 sets of forks to get what you want. The LBS should be able to sell the forks. If they are not willing to do this then you would wonder if they are just there to sell boxes or bikes.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Look at it from the LBS's POV.

1. Can I resell these forks? If they are popular in the market, probably
2. What size is the bike? This matters XL to Large is best as it leaves lots of steerer tube that can be cut to size byt next buyer. If it is coming off a small bike, the smaller length steerer tube will restrict the number of possible buyers.
3. It will be a 30 minute job to cut the new fork, fit the star washer, install on the bike and swap parts across. Will I do this for free? or add it to the upgrade cost?
4. How good is my price on the bike compared to the rest of the market? If it is already heavily discounted and the buyer is not a returning customer, how likely is it that they will buy from me again?

Those are some circumstances the LBS might consider, then you have to consider their mood, personality and so on.

So if you, have never been to the shop before, have a small bike, heavily discounted and some kind of odd fork or relatively low specced (for the price point and after market popularity) and you haven't got the guy/gal smiling - I reckon it won't hurt to try but don't pin too many hopes on it. To help your case do your research and see where you fit within this spectrum of favourable circumstance. The knowledge will help you negotiate the best price and conditions for the upgrade.

nimrodx

Likes Dirt
Thanks Guys,

I've got a bit of hope then. I've given this particular shop a good rap in groups and forums, and introduced two potential customers -- because
I'd always had good service there.

The bike is not a small size, and the original fork is a decent rockshox trail fork. I've been taking all my maintenance and purchases
there since forever. I'm paying close to rec retail price (within 5 percent)-- so not really a red hot deal, but I consider it worth it to support the local guy.

I've ordered a bike with them (not yet arrived), but I'm not getting any response to my emailed question re an upgrade.
Maybe the guy I normally deal with has been away for a few days.

N

omac

Likes Dirt
I would expect you would only pay the difference if you bought the upgraded fork from the LBS. The LBS should not be out of pocket and likewise If you are buying a bike you should not need to buy 2 sets of forks to get what you want. The LBS should be able to sell the forks. If they are not willing to do this then you would wonder if they are just there to sell boxes or bikes.
Im going through that process now, & there being very help full. I get my quote/price on Tuesday (I only called them today). Most of the stuff is a straight swap but others I have to make a $$$ adjustment there way (forks & shock)

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im going through that process now, & there being very help full. I get my quote/price on Tuesday (I only called them today). Most of the stuff is a straight swap but others I have to make a $$$ adjustment there way (forks & shock)
Let us know how this all pans out.. So far sounds really promising.. Cheers :biggrin1:

driftking

Wheel size expert
You ussually pay the difference on the part.

For instance I purchased a 4k bike and wanted to upgrade, it cost me about $750 for the following.

Boxxer RC ---> boxxer R2C2
Avid elixir 5----> avid code
fox van R ----> Fox RC4

Pretty good deal I think. For me I think its reasonable to pay the difference of the product, no way should you be paying for both. If you are told you need to pay for both than they should give you both items as you have just bought both of them.

You usually end up much better if you upgrade stores generally hate doing it because they are left with lower end stock they need to try and sell.
They will try and get you to buy both and then keep parts as spares or sell them yourself but its mostly because they don't want to have the parts.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Best solution is to build custom. If price is the issue, scrounge around all the usual online suspects and get the goods. If you want to throw the LBS a bone...let them build it for you. Of course I rarely find an LBS I feel gives a good deal (combination of service and price) and got sick of blowing tonnes of coins upgrading bikes that it felt had deliberately included a few spec items that were shit.

Gripo

Eats Squid
At only 5% off rrp and you're a regular customer you'd want to be getting a good deal on the upgrade parts....something along the line of wholesale price to keep you there.

BYO too I say.....

Last edited:

omac

Likes Dirt
I was offered a price/quote with the parts I wanted for a change over fee or I could pay for the whole lot & sell the left over parts my self. I decided to pay the extra ....so if anyones interested in some 650b Fox forks, Avid brakes & a RF stem let me know lol

Hopefully I pick up the bike tomorrow so I'll post up some real ads in the for sale thread over the next few days

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
generally I would say yes, buy the bike and sell off the parts you don't want OR come to an agreement with the shop to swap it out for the fork you want and pay the difference. The main problem from the shops perspective is that its going to be pretty hard for them to sell that fork. It will come down to the shop, IMO save yourself the hassle and just sell it off yourself and swap the parts over.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
If your a good customer and they won't give you or can't come to an agreeable deal that both parties would consider sensible to swap upgrade a few things I'd be going to a new shop.

I've always been able to upgrade things for basically they cost difference between items, always been happy with this.

driftking

Wheel size expert
generally I would say yes, buy the bike and sell off the parts you don't want OR come to an agreement with the shop to swap it out for the fork you want and pay the difference. The main problem from the shops perspective is that its going to be pretty hard for them to sell that fork. It will come down to the shop, IMO save yourself the hassle and just sell it off yourself and swap the parts over.
Selling off items on your own is more of a hassle in my opinion. Its much harder to sell second hand parts even if unused on your own more so if those parts are low end items. You than need to deal with for sale threads and pages, shipping customers and movement on prices. Much easier to just do it by the shop.

nimrodx

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

Well the deal offered seems to be about

(retail price of upgrade item ) - (0.4 to 0.33 * retail price for the existing item).

How does that sound?

Last edited: