Learn me about shocks

Yet1

Likes Dirt
Hello Rotorburners..

So Im looking at upgrading my RockShox Monarch Plus rear shock to a Monarch Plus RC3 so I can have the adjustability and have the lever to stiffen up the rear end for uphills. Obviously there is the eyelet to eyelet measurement that needs to be considered, but what is the go with the shock 'tune'? My bike is an Intense Tracer, so if I put a shock from say a Canyon or Norco that has a different 'tune' - is this going to compromise the performance of the suspension? Will it be that noticeable? I guess that a reputable suspension tuner will be able to 're-tune the shock for my bike though. Or is there a way to add the 'RC3' lever and adjustability on to the non RC3 shock. Any advice would be tops!

Z

Zaf

Rockshox is a little simpler with it's tunes, usually just a M/M, L/L kind of shim stack in it, or some variation of those. This simply corresponds with the rebound and compression shim stack profile, and you can usually buy these as after market units and have them installed in the shock to change the tune. Most people and bikes will generally run a Medium/Medium compression profile, but depending on the frames leverage rate and/or rider weight (lighter riders might find a M/M offers too much dampening) they can run a lower stack. Again, this will vary based on the different profile, if it's overdampened on the return stroke but good on the compression, you go a M/L vice versa, etc. etc. etc.

Some companies run custom tune profiles for their bikes, so yeah, you can potentially put in a shock that won't mesh as well as the same shock with a different tune. If you're moving within the same brand it should be easy enough, most of the Rockshox Shocks have a small sticker at the bottom of the air can near the shaft that has the M/M, L/M, M/L, L/L on it. Just stick with whatever you bike came stock with.

Also, Eye to Eye and Stroke must remain the same. There are a few exceptions to this rule, but seeing as we're having this conversation, play it safe and just make sure these numbers do NOT change. Changing this usually invalidates warranty anyway.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The best thing to do is buy the shock you want, fit it to the bike and see how it handles. If you're not happy with it then send it to a tuner like NSD and get it set up to suit your riding. I might add it's worth ringing the tuner first and ask them what they recommend you use for the frame straight off the bat. No mater what you do they will always sting you for a full rebuild as half the time the shock settings are all over the place from factory.

Last edited: