learning Trials

Roastin

Likes Bikes
ok being really shit at DJs i'm attributing that to my lack of bike handling skills.....so to help me with that i wanna learn some basic trials to help me become more at one with the bike........are there any riders here who are just venturing into trials? this whole forum seems to be choc full of dirt jumpers...... i'm looking for someone to learn trials with......i've been to the tuesday night trial rides but all of them are way beyond my skill level........i'm looking for people who are just learning.......i wanna relearn everything........

i think part of the reason i can't do stuff is cuz i've learnt much of my bunnyhops and shit with the wrong technique and its stuck......so its back to the drawing board for me..........anyone here fit the bill?? by the way, i'm in melbourne......

cheers

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Roastin, first thing, yeah I know I'm in the wrong state but keep reading anyway.

You should keep going to the regular rides with the Melbourne guys here are a few reasons why. (And I know these will work cause I've done it with the Sydney guys for the last 6 months)

1) They will be able to teach you how to do stuff the right way from the start, if you are learning from/with someone that is only just starting out as well then you'll only get bad technique

2) They will push you out of your comfort zone and encourage you to try stuff that you wouldn't normaly. Yes sometimes you will fuck up and hurt yourself but you'll be suprised by the number of times that you pull sopmething off that you would have normaly

3) They will have better bikes/components than you. So when they upgrade buy they're old shit for cheap!! And when you do buy something new they'll be able to advise you on the stuff you should and shouldn't buy.

Also if you want more contact with more Trials minded people go to www.austrials.com and chat with people on the message boards.

I hope this helps,
Garth

Roastin

Likes Bikes
hey andrew... i'm surprised you remember my nick......anyways....... yeah i know the gimp is a tank to learn trials on, but i'm not trying to get into trials proper, i just wanna learn the basics, weight transfers, positioning and stuff.......

Roastin

Likes Bikes
been to those sites already.........its a whole different thing reading about something, then doing it and doing something with someone to spot your mistakes.......

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Roastin, Jasco's advice is perfect. That's THE way. Also... hook up with guys you meet on the Tues rides for smaller weekend rides etc. BUT always try and ride with people better than you... that will ALWAYS push you and you'll learn heaps more and faster.

Go for it.

LEX

Likes Dirt
IM a freerider but also branched out into trials. Im not very good at it but all the basic skills i got of reading Tutorials on the net. And most of all keep trying. Trials is a very hard skill to master.
Good luck roastin

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
i cant wait til i get my trials bike in a month or so !!

i might hook up for a ride with you... ill keep you informed !!

Roastin

Likes Bikes
how many bike are you gonna get?! gonna get a XC bike after the trials?

anyways theres a spot at the far end of the yarra opp of the docklands where there is plenty of flatland and a couple of progressive setps and blocks........will be spending my days there........

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
Roastin said:
how many bike are you gonna get?! gonna get a XC bike after the trials?
yes actually... its all in the works, BUT Rik stole MY frame :cry:

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah good sugestion, that movie is really good for learning trials and is also piss funny with the two martins mucking around