Leasing an e-Bike.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
My company has just sent this email out today.

Aimed at getting people out and active, but could turn some of us lazier... wonder will they fudge an invoice and let me lease a 12K regular pushy instead of an e-bike.

Must be purchased through e-stralian which is based in Melbourne.

I have asked for a quote on a Norco Sight VTL C1 to gauge the savings/price as I know how much they are here.

Has anyone else been offered this ???

Introducing e-bike leases
Today we’re excited to launch e-bike leases – offering our people the opportunity to choose a healthy, comfortable alternative to their daily commute. This initiative supports our purpose and values Care in every action and Shape tomorrow by providing our people with a healthy, future focused option for their commute.

Powered by a 500W electric motor, e-bikes can help us to:

• Improve physical health and mental wellbeing
  • Save on travel costs
  • Reduce parking hassles and costs
  • Avoid delays and crowding on public transport
  • Commute to work quickly and easily
E-bikes can be leased through salary sacrificing with Toyota Fleet Management. The lease includes a premium e-bike, insurance, maintenance, emergency roadside assistance and a secure lock – paid for with your pre-tax income.

The e-bikes need to be used predominantly for work commuting purposes and are provided by Melbourne-based start-up, E-stralian, who operate in most city centres through local providers.
E-stralian provides access to over 150 bikes, including mountain bikes, e-cargo bikes, urban cruisers, and beginner bikes suitable for all ages and fitness levels.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for posting this - I cant qualify but it’s interesting - in the UK this is big business and well supported by both companies and users . They also have a great ride to work scheme - funded by govt .
The big ( new ? ) thing is also financing - not afterpay / OpenPay plans . But a genuine finance options is on bikes . The fella who started this is a backer \ promoter .

we are a bit behind in Oz as most people don’t view bicycles as a genuine transport option and they would have no concept of the cost / value of one .

(same people will buy random shit - each to their own tho)

Its similar scheme to the rental link I posted last week - polygon bicycles is the backer of a rental scheme 3 months or 6 months .
interesting times ahead , wait till self drive evs come to the party !
GM has just secured US govt approval to have self drive vehicles “ no requirement for driver to be in control”
Lets see how that works out.

ozzybmx

I have found out a bit more about it now.

Its a full package deal, serviced like a car, insured like a car, spares are fully tax deductible... it works out ok if you ride an e-bike full time.

If like me, it would be a cheap way of owning a bike, e-bike that is.

The Orbea Wild FS M-LTD works out to be about $110 a week for 2 years then a final payment of $4700.

The above Orbea looks to be $14800 normally.

So a total of $16140 to own the bike after 2 years. Thats with 3 commutes of 35km... now I said it was a 35km commute, but thats each way. Not sure if that was factored in but I also said 80km a week personal. This affects the servicing... but I do all my servicing myself :oops:

So its only a warranty issue that I need bike shop help... do I need to keep it serviced to keep warranty like a car ?

At the moment, I'm not an ebike convert... I like to ride, enjoy the scenery, enjoy the effort. I dont NEED an ebike yet.

Probably not worth my while as another bike to sit there.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Salary sacrifice I would assume ?

Also , I will say I am an e-bike convert .
You will still get a work out and the range is great ,esp if you are relatively fit .
The biggest change for a e - bike is hills are not hills , and things you second guessed become , ill just ride up that . Different techniques are required for e-mtb , they are heavier than a standard bike , makes them super stable but not ‘ lively’ ....
I’m not sure I’d pay $16k for one ... although if getting a tax break, staying fit , and getting a super bike I could be convinced !
but as a pure commuter , I’d be looking at some of the dedicated commuters reissue muller, trek super commuter etc , priced ‘ reasonably’ and use the other money’s for a New mtb ,( maybe not e )

ozzybmx

Salary sacrifice I would assume ?
Salary sacrifice, basically if i want a $14800 e-bike with all the bling, its costing me $16140. Thats not too bad with the 2 years of extras, including theft, accidental damage or crash insurance, servicing and replacement parts.

Would rather have a full regular (do we even say than now bro) Pivot Switchblade near that price and be fitter than the e-bike incintive.

I dont need to hear this easy way out, dont encourage me to have a free 250w... fucking send it !

The world is turning us all into complete asswipes ! Before we knew we were asswipes.

While I have the ability to ride a reguar bike, I will ride ! Some day... some day... I will join you.

ozzybmx

BTW... I am not bagging e-bike riders, I own/bought the missus an e-bike, its just not for me at this present time.

Everyone has their reasons and I have met some of the most friendly blokes out on the trails riding e-bikes.

ozzybmx

The cynic in me wonders whom is in who's pocket... surely if the goal is one less car and a fitter workforce then the offer should extend to analogue bikes and even running shoes.
Mate, knowing the company I work for with 5000 employees, it all about a PR stunt for those who work inner city.

It was never going to benefit the employee unless they rode the e-bike every ride... or lost their license , then it would be a godsend !

Last edited:

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This would suit me as I currently lease a car and could ebike to work. The concern for me would be stuff breaking by having too much fun on the ebike and not being able to commute to work. I guess I could chuck a sickie.
The other questions is will you pay top RRP for parts and service and need to get it serviced by their people. It is all about making money so where you save money they whack you with a cost somewhere and you seem to come out even the end if you purchased it.

ozzybmx

This would suit me as I currently lease a car and could ebike to work.
I also lease a vehicle but this seems to be different, with the car, you can shop around, service where you want, buy tyres where you want ect... then just email the receipt to the lease company for reimbursement.

If Aus adopted the Speed-Pedelecs, it would make ebike commuting more attractive.