Left Hand Bikes

norco01

Likes Dirt
Hey guys

I was wondering,why do all bikes have the cogs and gears on the right hand side of the bike,why not the left?

cheers

Binaural

Eats Squid
Why not? They have to be on one side or the other, and the industry seems to have settled on the right.

Last edited:

bluewonder2

Likes Dirt
just a theory.

Just like hands, we have a prefered foot, usually right. So maybe it's on the right because the majority of people are right leg biased.

DownhillerDeano

Doesn't want a custom title!
And Im sure if MTB's were standard pratice to have the drive train on the left side (right! lol), then someone would ask why is it on the LHS and not the RHS

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
were you being sarcastic leitch? lmao. or paying me out, hehe :D
i was being sarcastic ;) one would assume that this guys post was not infact a "why not LHD" thread, but rather he was more wondering why it was chosen to be one side not the other (pretty random thing to wonder - who the hell knows?!), and was not dependent on the fact that (most) bikes are RHD ;)

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Hey guys

I was wondering,why do all bikes have the cogs and gears on the right hand side of the bike,why not the left?

cheers
If you put them on the left they'd get in the way of the brakes.....:p

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've seen a singlespeed with a drivetrain on both sides. Very strange looking.

I'd say you were looking at a flip flop hub, normally reserved to single speeders who want 2 gears the wheels gets turned around & bang an extra cog, Have also see a setup with flip flop hubs front & rear with 4 different cogs on a Surly Pugsly.
I know a few guys who use single speeds in the 110km epic use a flip flop so they can get the extra couple of teeth for the road sections.
Downside is I believe you can only use rim brakes as theres nowhere to mount the disc, but I could be wrong.

Sam.

Eats Squid
Bit of a thread hijack here, but when I started building my BMX up after I painted it a few days ago I decided to put it LHD (just to be unique). I then continued to put it togeher and even put the chain back together. I then pedalled it forward and realised when I pedalled forward it freewheels:rolleyes: :eek: :mad: anyway now it is RHD but I was wondering if there is anything in the hub that you can do to make it LHD,ie switch something around?:cool:

Cheers, Sam

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
[$@M];917842 said:
Bit of a thread hijack here, but when I started building my BMX up after I painted it a few days ago I decided to put it LHD (just to be unique). I then continued to put it togeher and even put the chain back together. I then pedalled it forward and realised when I pedalled forward it freewheels:rolleyes: :eek: :mad: anyway now it is RHD but I was wondering if there is anything in the hub that you can do to make it LHD,ie switch something around?:cool:

Cheers, Sam
Turn it into a fixie :D