lefty, righty, which is mighty

jellylegs

Banned
Noticed a lot of pro skateboarders and pro surfers are left handed, as you can spot them in pics as riding goofy foot. Given the ratio of left handed a vs right handed people in the world, why is it so that the ratio of lefties is a bit greater in balance type sports. I know there are exceptions, like right handed people that ride goofy, but the majority of them are left handed.
Just an observation
I wonder if the same is true in the mtb world. Much harder to tell.

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
I believe there are more exceptions nowadays than before, I'm right handed and find with biking my left foot is dominant (left foot forward in attack position)

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I write left handed, play all sport right handed...also kick a ball with my right foot (completely unco with my left foot!)

Can snowboard natural or goofy...bit better goofy though!

Riding pushies prefer my left foot forward in attack mode. Go figure!

Brow

Big Block
Lefties, Witches burn em all.

It's all proportional propaganda, show me the numbers.

I'm a lefty, but don't float real well so I can't be a witch and won't burn (care of Monty Python Holy Grail).
I kick footy both feet, slightly better with right and play right handed tennis etc. Never noticed which foot forward on bike, concentrating too hard staying upright.

Need stats to get this argument right.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Although mostly from a big stuff up of a jump a bunch of years ago where I landed on my arse in a sitting up position from a great height/speed, I have a few a few hip issues which has turned out to be exacerbated by always riding "right footed".

So I have been training myself to ride right foot forward in an effort to build strength in muscles that have been built up asymmetrically over the years. It helps, and I'd encourage all serious riders to learn the attack position (i.e. standing up out of the saddle) with both feet to keep your hip and core muscles even.

stirk

Burner
Although mostly from a big stuff up of a jump a bunch of years ago where I landed on my arse in a sitting up position from a great height/speed, I have a few a few hip issues which has turned out to be exacerbated by always riding "right footed".

So I have been training myself to ride right foot forward in an effort to build strength in muscles that have been built up asymmetrically over the years. It helps, and I'd encourage all serious riders to learn the attack position (i.e. standing up out of the saddle) with both feet to keep your hip and core muscles even.
Those petrol fumes have gotten to you!

Pretty sure all serious riders can stand up on both pedals whilst keeping bum off seat. Can you do it with one foot only? Bwhahahha, haakon, you funny. :heh:

On that left note though I'm seriously out of centre, scoliosis has started to get wierd and now makes my left foot twist when I walk and now it is making my left knee sore after 20km riding, bloody wonky left side of me can fuck off! Anyone got a medieval rack??

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Yeah, Ive been told I'm hilarious!

Ok fine. Well I always rode exclusivly left foot forward - it was like learning how to ride (and particularly jump) all over again when I started putting the right foot forward.

Learnt left hand mouse too (mostly because my partner is a lefty and it was easier for me to learn the lefty mouse than argue about it) which helps with a sore right wrist from too many days/months/years driving a computer for a living.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I'm left hand writer, left foot kicker, right foot forward on bikes, right hand mouse, right hand bottle opener.

Anything board related is goofy.

Probably boils down to the % of r/h vs L/h people

I've heard the term "chocolate foot" used to describe which foot you prefer forward when bombing.

I'm r/h writing, guitaring, mastering my domain etc etc
I kick a soccer ball equally well with either foot (ie crapola) but a footy footy and its right foot only
Chocolate Foot is left foot
But surf and skate I'm a goofy

no wonder I'm so bad at sport

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Am right handed for writing, kicking etc but goofy foot on all boards, and prefer offhand take offs on the surfboard

When we used to see who could throw the furthest it was always done off hand to make it more equal and see who really had the mad skilz