Legal Question (any police/lawyer's? on here)

exvitermini

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was wondering if someone was being followed by a marked police car and hadn’t broken any laws or had any history of breaking laws was to stop and ask for the officers to pull over and write down their names and badge numbers what the worst that could happen?

Motorbikes baiscally legal other then aftermarket indicators,& slightly louder exhaust untill you open her up..

Last edited:

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
I would imagine that they would hit you up for obstructing traffic, unless you did the smart thing and pulled over first.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Not a lawyer, but stopping in the middle of the road (is this what you mean by lane?) is a stupid thing to do regardless. They could probably pin you for neg driving, obstructing traffic or something like that.

exvitermini

Likes Bikes and Dirt
fair enough, I didnt even think of being charged for obstucting traffic :eek: maybe i'll just keep taking them on nice random rides:cool:

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
maybe i'll just keep taking them on nice random rides:cool:
Good plan. Sounds like they're just waiting for you to do something, anything wrong so they can pounce. Maybe lead them into a dead-end street? Then they'll have to shit or get off the pot.

exvitermini

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good plan. Sounds like they're just waiting for you to do something, anything wrong so they can pounce. Maybe lead them into a dead-end street? Then they'll have to shit or get off the pot.
Took them for laps of the supermaket carpark today, before getting bored and parking ;)

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Took them for laps of the supermaket carpark today before getting bored and parking ;)
They actually followed you around the car park? That's pathetic!

Although the good news is, the crime rate in your town must be at a record low, if they've got nothing better to do than harass you all day.

exvitermini

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They actually followed you around the car park? That's pathetic!

Although the good news is, the crime rate in your town must be at a record low, if they've got nothing better to do than harass you all day.
yeap,:rolleyes:

There used to be another bike belonging to someone who had a bit of history with the cops that is similar to mine(mines factory gloss black and his was rattle can matt black) so I have a pretty good idea they are just confusing the two of us.. That other bike now lives in dads shed and is primer grey tho....:)

Last edited:

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Pull over somewhere they can too. They will often pull over as well. Either that, or pull over and follow them until they pull over. Make sure you keep your distance so they don't do you for tailgating.

Definitely don't stop in the middle of the road.

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
Certainly in my state (and I assume it is the same in all others) police officers are obliged to produce their badge and ID when asked to do so by a member of the public. If what they are doing actually constitutes harassment, then my advice would be to start documenting every time that they are following you, including the details of the car the time and the place. Just keep a notebook handy in your jacket. The police ombudsman in your state should be able to help you out if you go to them with something solid.

Other than that, really, the police are fully within their rights to patrol as they see fit, and if you have had trouble with them in the past, they are holding all of the cards.

The only advice I can give you is to avoid doing anything stupid.

jarryd1986

Likes Bikes
Yeah I am under the impression, in NSW you can request badge numbers and names if they question you, however I am not sure how you go about pulling them over, having said that, as mentioned earlier, if you were to pull over I am sure that they would follow.

The other night after work I pulled into a 24 hour servo in my car, 2 police were inside, as soon as I pulled up they were on the radio standing at the window looking at my car, while I was inside, on officer went outside and stood near my car, again on his radio then they both watched me as I reversed out and left. The whole time neither officer actually said anything to me. Was annoying and weird but yeah.

Not much you can do really, just don't push it or sooner or later they will find something to get you for.

Cheers!

Nathan_

Likes Dirt
just remember their license plates? Obviously then base can report who the officers were when they signed the car out?

Stopping and asking them only rings "smartass"..

Ive been followed quite abit lately too.. might be my mirrored lense on my helmet or my L plates tho :p

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They are allowed to follow you. stopping them and asking for badges will only make you more of a target.
Even if you report them they may get asked what its about, the reply is that you were behaving suspiciously or they thought you may have been another bloke on a black bike etc.
just dont do anything illegal when driving.
When i first got my car (from NSW to VIC) i was followed home they asked me to explain why it wasn't in my name and from NSW, i had the appropriate paperwork and explanation. they left happy with that.

I would rather be followed occasionally and know that if my car was stolen or people doing illegal shit on the roads also have a good chance of being followed by cops

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I would rather be followed occasionally and know that if my car was stolen or people doing illegal shit on the roads also have a good chance of being followed by cops
On the other hand, while the cops are wasting time following this bloke around carparks, somebody else is getting away with who knows what somewhere else.

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
The piggies used to play that game with me on my dirt bike in Townsville. Annoying. They followed me home once when I couldn't shake them, drove into my driveway and asked me for my license. I had obeyed the road rules impeccabley, so they just left after seeing my license. Fuckwits. It's just bad behaviour and johnny law is not devoid of idiots with egos.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Took them for laps of the supermaket carpark today, before getting bored and parking ;)
Hahaha classic. I was on my way home from a ride a few weeks ago when a blue un-marked VE ss started following me. I was in full gear - boots, pants, jersey, armour and had a fair amount of mud over the bike and me. I took them on a detour down random streets but gave them no reasons to pull me over. I ended up leading them to an undercover carpark and to my surprise they were still following me.

I jumped off my bike in the correct manner (left hand side, headcheck and all) and pretended to be checking out my bike - fuck fiddling around with the fuel tap and choke. The bastards drove past slowly so I gave them a little wave, but surprisingly they didn't jump out of the car and harrass me.

exvitermini

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I dont have a problem with them following me as such,its just when they totaly go out of their way to follow you and in doing so, do silly things themselves. It makes me feel like they are purely looking for something to charge me with and not out to serve and protect the community as such

I'm far from perfect on the bike,but choose where and when I do things.and its rarely anywhere a cop is likely to be..
Cant wait for the 24th of december when I get off my P's!, I'll get pulled over and asked where my P plate is YaY!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

W2ttsy

Likes Dirt
i had the motorcycle 5-0 following me home one day and this started in the CBD all the way to the outer suburbs (about 18km).

My girlfriends driveway is in a slip lane that connects the main road to another. Thus when indicating to turn in, it could be easily construed that i was turning off to the other road.

Since the cop was so busy tailgating me (probably 2 meters behind max) he didnt notice me breaking and had no room to move when i turned into the drive mid way through the slip lane.

All i saw was a swerve followed by the sudden gearing down of his engine in an attempt not to run up my ass.

he was definitely interested in my car. saw him radio my plates in a few times. Of course i gave him no reason to do anything further and his futile attempt as pacing me almost resulted in an accident.

W2ttsy