legal song's for video's

dhlouie101

Likes Dirt
hey guy's im wanting to get into videography. I know you can get fined and sued for using illegaly downloaded song's anyway i was wondering where most of you guy's get your song's for vieo's without having to spend hundred's buying them off itunes?

thanks louie

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Years ago when some mates and I were making a movie we'd just email the record company every time we wanted a song, and every time they just said it was fine to use. Just make sure its a well constructed email with proper spelling and grammar so you don't look like an idiot... ;)

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
It's not so ethical to use music without permission, but the way I see it, people's work is abused so frequently and used all over the net, that a small web-edit will mean nothing.
They are going to spend more money taking you (well myself, being a minor) to court than they will get out of you in your lifetime.

Once you venture into really big online projects, then it's an alright idea to get some liscenced music.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Yes next time I will concentrate on my grammer. :p
This might help:

Seriously though, have you considered using music from some independent/unsigned acts? Get in contact with the bands themselves, and make sure that you'll credit the artists properly (name, track/album, contact etc.) and I'm sure many of them would give you the ok. The exposure can't hurt, especially if you get some hits on the vid.

Last edited: