AM ~Leon's 2013 Banshee Rune Build - Photos Galore!~

effarr

Likes Dirt
So I took delivery of a carton that made me very happy this afternoon... All thanks to Ben from Singletracks...

Still waiting on a couple of overlooked parts (rim tape, valves, axle adapters, grips etc) but the build has started. Build has been to a budget (around $3700 I think, but don't ask me to add it up!) so I've found some second hand parts and good internet deals. The Faith has treated me well for nearly 7 years but it was time to upgrade (mind you I'll probably still keep the Faith).

So far spec reads:

Frame Banshee Rune V2 large
Rear shock Cane Creek Double Barrel Air
Front fork Fox Float 36 @ 160mm
Handlebars Race Face Respond Riser 740mm
Stem Race Face Respond 45mm
Headset Hope Zero stack (pick n mix)
Grips Jet Black Lock-on
Saddle SDG Bel Air Ti/Alloy
Seatpost Banshee
Brakes Shimano XT M785 (203mm Front/180mm Rear)
Cranks Shimano Zee Single Ring
Chainguide MRP AMG
Chain Shimano XT 10spd
Pedals Nukeproof Neutron
Rear derailleur Shimano Zee Shadow+ short cage wide ratio
Rear shifter Shimano Zee 1x10
Cassette Shimano XT 11-34
Wheelset Stans ZTR Flow EX on Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs
Tyres Hans Dampf 2.35 snakeskin/tubeless F + R

Cheers

Leon

Last edited:

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks brilliant. I was under the impression Banshee weren't bringing this colour to the public? Is it not a colour option for 2013 or 2014, what ever year manufacturers are up too?

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yellow was in production for 2013, 2014 Will be raw, Black or red
Ah right. I remember there being a bit of an outcry as to why they released the bike in the yellow, but weren't offering it, but apparently that changed. Personally think they should have kept it for 2014, looks so good.

effarr

Likes Dirt
It certainly stands out! Loving the colour. 99% rideable, just waiting on pedals and chainguide, though will tune suspension etc tomorrow after work and wait til the end of the week for my chain guide to arrive before I get a proper ride in... That or I'll get impatient and see if I can drop the chain without!
Cheers

effarr

Likes Dirt
Finished build and had my first ride tonight - silent running with MRP AMG chain guide and Shadow plus dérailleur (save for the freewheel). Came in at 14.5kg which I'm happy with. Just going to look at a bar/stem combo with a bit more rise to make the front end easier to pick up. Everything else I'm stoked with! Photos to come...

jackass'd

Likes Dirt
Finished build and had my first ride tonight - silent running with MRP AMG chain guide and Shadow plus dérailleur (save for the freewheel). Came in at 14.5kg which I'm happy with. Just going to look at a bar/stem combo with a bit more rise to make the front end easier to pick up. Everything else I'm stoked with! Photos to come...
Good to know as thats the kind of build I personally would do (except different brakes).

Can't wait for pictures of it fully finished either

effarr

Likes Dirt
That was the plan but the CR's came up at a great price. They are a great brake, just need to spend some time aligning to remove a small amount of rub. Great modulation though with 8" rotors, and great adjustability of lever feel.

As promised: post ride wash this arvo:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
No I didn't intentionally mean for the last two shots to line up!
I noticed before I read your comment, I was for a very short while most impressed with your camera/editing abilities!

Looks great, albeit the forks are very subdued with no decals on them.

effarr

Likes Dirt
Thanks. I was looking at buying a sticker kit for the forks, but I think they look good as is. Tempting the idea of removing the rim stickers etc for a bit of more subtle look (though looks isn't high on my priorities).

Just trying to get my bar/stem combo sussed. I'm used to a ~40mm rise bar + 10 degree stem from my freeride rig. Just finding the extra length in the top tube a bit harder to get the front wheel off the ground, but I'm sure that's something I'll get used to in time...

More and more impressed with the bike each ride, the only thing holding me back now is my fitness!

effarr

Likes Dirt
How do you like the zee stuff? thinking of getting some for AM duties
Seems great so far; was looking for Saint durability but at a less wallet-thinning cost. I had only read good reviews; so far the shifters/crankset/derailleur have been excellent. Standout would have to be the derailleur I guess as it contains the most technology for the $$. Can't go wrong!

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Just trying to get my bar/stem combo sussed. I'm used to a ~40mm rise bar + 10 degree stem from my freeride rig. Just finding the extra length in the top tube a bit harder to get the front wheel off the ground, but I'm sure that's something I'll get used to in time...
After swapping out stems and spacers for the first few months I've settled on running a 65mm stem and 20mm rise bars with a 25mm spacer under the stem -Large frame, probably should have gotten and XL. I normally prefer a 50mm stem, but 65 has turned out to be a good compromise between up and down the hills + seems to help getting into the attack position for cornering.

Coming from a DW link bike I really struggled to lift the front and manual - the bike seemed to oppose this movement via the suspension. On the KS link I am now able to comfortably manual through jumps and lift the front up with ease, it's a very playful bike now that I have gotten used to it + have the shock dialed. Strangely I am preferring the mid position on the dropouts to the slacker position.

effarr

Likes Dirt
After swapping out stems and spacers for the first few months I've settled on running a 65mm stem and 20mm rise bars with a 25mm spacer under the stem -Large frame, probably should have gotten and XL. I normally prefer a 50mm stem, but 65 has turned out to be a good compromise between up and down the hills + seems to help getting into the attack position for cornering.

Coming from a DW link bike I really struggled to lift the front and manual - the bike seemed to oppose this movement via the suspension. On the KS link I am now able to comfortably manual through jumps and lift the front up with ease, it's a very playful bike now that I have gotten used to it + have the shock dialed. Strangely I am preferring the mid position on the dropouts to the slacker position.
Sounds like you're taller than me. I'm 185cm give or take, currently running the 35mm stem which I don't like but between my bikes I've got a 50mm stem, 20 and 40mm rise bars and a number of spacers so I should be able to sort it out. Probably also a matter of developing confidence with the bike too; my first decent drop and couple of jumps were front heavy yet I find it harder to manual (more rear emphasis required) than my Maestro Faith (which was shorter in the top tube).

After a week of riding in the slack position I've taken the rear back to neutral also - mainly for a slight amount more BB clearance (lots of rocks in Central Queensland - GladSTONE, ROCKhampton, etc etc) and I think I prefer it also.

Leon