Lerderderg State Park

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
Does anyone ride the tracks in this park on their mountain bike? Other than having to dodge the odd motorcycle or Ute it seems like it would be good fun and has plenty of tracks for good variety. VIC Parks website doesn't show a bicycle option, but I can't see why it wouldn't be a good place to ride. Any thoughts? Are there any actual mountain bike trails around Bacchus Marsh or Blackwood? I'm shocked there isn't 100km of singletrack through Lerderderg State Park for mountain biking, the terrain is perfect!

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Does anyone ride the tracks in this park on their mountain bike? Other than having to dodge the odd motorcycle or Ute it seems like it would be good fun and has plenty of tracks for good variety. VIC Parks website doesn't show a bicycle option, but I can't see why it wouldn't be a good place to ride. Any thoughts? Are there any actual mountain bike trails around Bacchus Marsh or Blackwood? I'm shocked there isn't 100km of singletrack through Lerderderg State Park for mountain biking, the terrain is perfect!
You can ride byers back track check out

http://www.bancoora.au.com/index.htm

this website has some awesome info:)

Hud

Likes Dirt
Fantastic site! Blackwood and Lerderderg looks like it has heaps of trails. Those narrow techy type trails are my favourites.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Fantastic site! Blackwood and Lerderderg looks like it has heaps of trails. Those narrow techy type trails are my favourites.
Narrow tech trails are what MTBing is all about :) not these groomed trails everyone is raving about.....man if its too rough for them, they should go and buy a hybrid :p

Possible ride in the pipeline to do the dry diggings next weekend. Hepburn Springs to Vaughn Springs........

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
Good to see some folks ride up that way. I was shocked to have spent nearly 8 hours at the Lerderderg SP and Wombat SP on my motorcycle and not see anyone on bicycles. The tracks in there are perfect for MTB'ing. I'm also surprised there aren't hundreds of km's of dedicated MTB trails throughout there, it just seems like the perfect venue for such trails.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Good to see some folks ride up that way. I was shocked to have spent nearly 8 hours at the Lerderderg SP and Wombat SP on my motorcycle and not see anyone on bicycles. The tracks in there are perfect for MTB'ing. I'm also surprised there aren't hundreds of km's of dedicated MTB trails throughout there, it just seems like the perfect venue for such trails.
last time i went to wombat i copped a load of abuse from some dude on his trail bike for riding some singletrack?!?!!? apparently i held him up. Probably why i dont ride there anymore, too many trailbikes

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
last time i went to wombat i copped a load of abuse from some dude on his trail bike for riding some singletrack?!?!!? apparently i held him up. Probably why i dont ride there anymore, too many trailbikes

That's too bad, you should have told him pound sand. Just like bicycles on the road, we should be able to share any trail with dirt bikes. I generally listen for them, if I here them coming up behind, especially on faster sections I'll move out of the way for my own safety.

In Texas, on our technical shared trails it was often the case that the mountain bikes were faster than the motor bikes on most trails, it was always fun passing them.

rdurrell

Likes Bikes
Hi, I look after the www.bancoora.au.com website posted above and know the area pretty well.

In general terms, the Lerderderg State Park has been closed off to all but hikers if you look at the management plan. If you look at my website the approved tracks are the ridge track in the south of the park and the Kangaroo Track in the north. Both are good fire trails to ride on - rutted enough to be fun in places and with some good views. The bulk of the legal mountain biking is in the Wombat State Forest to the west of the Greendale Trentham Road and north of the Lerderderg River. There are plenty of motor bike trails to follow in the area.

Another option is the old Pyretes state park which has now been annexed to the Lerderderg State Park It has a good fire trail up the guts of the park and the ride down to the Antimony mine is a good mountina bike track. Haven't ben up yet but appraently the views from Sugarloaf are good as well.

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Our families holiday house is in blackwood. No 'actual' tracks I know of in the area, appart from the wombat trail in woodend, but there's a hell of a lot of good walking tracks and fire roads around, which is what we ride on.
Some pics here of one of our favourite tracks.

camday

Likes Dirt
Our families holiday house is in blackwood. No 'actual' tracks I know of in the area, appart from the wombat trail in woodend, but there's a hell of a lot of good walking tracks and fire roads around, which is what we ride on.
Some pics here of one of our favourite tracks.
Where abouts are the 'tracks' you ride? I know the area pretty well, but would love to know where those photo's are from

Timbot

Likes Dirt
The Garden of saint earth in blackwood is a cool,flowy and tecnical trail that is good to ride in both directions which will spit you out in the same place.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Hmmm looks like ill possibly be going up and riding Byers Back Track this Saturday morning to test out my new bike. If anybody wants to come along you are more than welcome to join me.:)

j_d_carreno

Cannon Fodder
new info?

Did the Dry Diggings track last weekend and I really enjoyed it so I' like to try something similar closer to Melbourne. Lerderderg track looks interesting as well but I haven't been able to find any MTB map for the whole route Bacchus Marsh to Daylesford... Any ideas?

emerthis

Likes Dirt
Narrow tech trails are what MTBing is all about :) not these groomed trails everyone is raving about.....man if its too rough for them, they should go and buy a hybrid :p

Possible ride in the pipeline to do the dry diggings next weekend. Hepburn Springs to Vaughn Springs........
I did this ride with the Wombat Club a few years back. Absolutely brilliant ride, in good company, with great support - the bus and trailer back from Vaughan Springs was well appreciated by most of us, although a few fitter riders went back the way we came. I can't come out this time - busy with the Plenty Gorge club - but I can certainly vouch for the excellent riding around the area.

emerthis

Likes Dirt
Did the Dry Diggings track last weekend and I really enjoyed it so I' like to try something similar closer to Melbourne. Lerderderg track looks interesting as well but I haven't been able to find any MTB map for the whole route Bacchus Marsh to Daylesford... Any ideas?
I don't think there are any 'MTB' maps as such. I believe it's part of the Goldfields trail which was, last I knew, still in development for shared use - but I haven't heard of any plans to extend the rideable track from Blackwood to Bacchus Marsh. There are a few hardened riders about who I know have done from Daylesford to Castlemaine - part of which I believe is the route from Hepburn Springs to Vaughan Springs.

The Lerderderg trails are great. Byers Back Track is often used by MTBers, and most of the walkers I've encountered there have been friendly enough, especially when you're polite and friendly with them first.
The part of the same trail known as Riverside Walk or River Walk, which begins near the Garden of St Erth (that's how they spell it), is also good, but less used, and considerably more difficult in spots. The main loop heads upstream, then away from the river up some very step stairs, and on to some more great water-race trails which flow beautifully along the contours. I always enjoy this loop in the opposite direction, starting with Whipstick Loop. Not sure on whether bikes are actually allowed here, but again, being polite to other users always helps. About 30km all, up, from memory.

The MTB trails are heavily focused around Woodend. The main Wombat loop is always a great start - catch up with some locals to see if there's anything else around - after all, they do hold the Wombat 100 there every year!