Let the debate begin!

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
but i do wish it was less about the cheap materials and plastics for throwaway costumes and decorations etc. on par with christmas for all the waste for a single event
Yeah this is my issue with it. Although from the looks of some of the dog eared large spiders and other decorations around here it would appear it all just goes back into a box for next year which is cool.
The widespread love of big US pick-up trucks
Saw a new Sliverado ZL1 trying to fit in a normal (read: large) 90 degree car park yesterday. Only circa 2m of overhang.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I’ve never really cared for Halloween. Whatever. But kids love it. So if you’ve got a 6 year old that’s been locked down for near 2 years are you going to be a @Haakon and tell the kids sorry we don’t do Halloween, No you’re not. So if you aren’t @Haakon and actually have a beating heart or like @rockmoose who hasn’t actually left the house for several months you’re going to go with the flow, carve a pumpkin, order some shit costumes, buy some tooth rot lollies to hand out and go with the flow and have some fun with it.
I could just imagine my kids face if I tried to explain that we couldn’t join her friends trick or treating because it’s supposedly a yank tradition.
Agree 100%

The "it's American" trope is silly and, as explained by @PINT of Stella. mate!, wrong. People who have such strong and negative opinions really should check that they are being accurate before they share and promote them.

And even if it was an American tradition, who cares??! Why is people having fun and engaging in community a bad thing because it "comes from America". I just don't get the wowserism of it all.

moorey

call me Mia
Agree 100%

The "it's American" trope is silly and, as explained by @PINT of Stella. mate!, wrong. People who have such strong and negative opinions really should check that they are being accurate before they share and promote them.

And even if it was an American tradition, who cares??! Why is people having fun and engaging in community a bad thing because it "comes from America". I just don't get the wowserism of it all.
Like many, my only beef is with the 1000's of tons of single use plastic junk that most people use and throw away. Same for christmas, but without the 500000 lights to boot.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That fake spider web stuff is the worst. Blowing up and down the street for weeks aft, who knows where it ends up
Edit.
The youngest has been getting into finger knitting lately so we suggested she make her own this year

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Honestly this is a beef with our society as a whole and the throw away system we have created.
For sure, but the supermarkets and department stores this time of year are next level....as with christmas....hence why my beef isn't about halloween particularly.....though I think it's the most wasteful of the lot.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
For sure, but the supermarkets and department stores this time of year are next level....as with christmas....hence why my beef isn't about halloween particularly.....though I think it's the most wasteful of the lot.
Personally I think the most wasteful is Christmas. Such a high portion of the Australian population get into it which means every shop and council. The amount of tinsel if off the charts, I suspect tinsel alone would be more plastic than all of Australia's Halloween decorations combined.

My point is that as a society we are incredibly wasteful and damaging to the environment and singling out a single occassion misses the wider problem.

Cue to take this argument to the climate change and environmental issues forum.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The original Samhain, a celebrated day at the end of a farming season by the Celtics (later called 'all hallows evening', AKA today for in short, Halloween) has pretty much nothing to do with the celebrated Halloween we have today. It was morphed by the Christians trying to stamp out paganism that's where the trick or treating part came from, the poor begging for soul cakes for exchange for prays to release souls from purgatory, then later changed by the Yanks or more or less (the early Scotts and Irish immigrants to the US) into, give us candy or we'll trash your house then morphed again into a billion-dollar industry worldwide.

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Insert every Christian celebration. All stolen from other traditions.
Also the only way a lot of people would play along with the whole new religion caper (apart from lining up all the men in the village and asking the first if he wants to convert - the first few who say no thanks and get their head chopped off tends to encourage the rest to play along too though!)

Christians are a lovely lot...

Flow-Rider

Burner
Also the only way a lot of people would play along with the whole new religion caper (apart from lining up all the men in the village and asking the first if he wants to convert - the first few who say no thanks and get their head chopped off tends to encourage the rest to play along too though!)

Christians are a lovely lot...
Burn the witches on the stake, then you have the story of Guy Fawks.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can't imagine many people dressing themselves up like this before choosing to end their own life by hanging. Could you imagine how difficult that would be?
reminds me of neil on the young ones. crucifixion is an awful way to kill yourself, no matter how hard you try you cant get the last nail in

Hey, no short shaming! I'm at least as tall as @Labcanary!
on this topic, do you think the goodies episode or apartheight could be made today? It was mocking apartheid with a world where segregation was by height and all the jockeys were rounded up. Would this be considered valid parody of a terrible regime, or over the line?

moorey

call me Mia
on this topic, do you think the goodies episode or apartheight could be made today? It was mocking apartheid with a world where segregation was by height and all the jockeys were rounded up. Would this be considered valid parody of a terrible regime, or over the line?
Anything is fair game in genuine satire. They did a lot worse than that I reckon.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
That fake spider web stuff is the worst. Blowing up and down the street for weeks aft, who knows where it ends up
Edit.
The youngest has been getting into finger knitting lately so we suggested she make her own this year
View attachment 382217
I've seen pictures of spider webs made by spiders on all kinds of drugs. I think your youngest might have a substance problem.

Also...is it just me or is this a really piss poor effort at noun usage? This is not a zombie!
I think this is the more important point.

And can we get an agreement on zombies, are they fast, slow, stupid, smart, hungry for brains or hooman flesh ? And no there can't be more than one type.

Come the zombie apocalypse I will will have no idea from whom / what I must run and how fast, or even if I am one !!!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
The original Samhain, a celebrated day at the end of a farming season by the Celtics (later called 'all hallows evening', AKA today for in short, Halloween) has pretty much nothing to do with the celebrated Halloween we have today. It was morphed by the Christians trying to stamp out paganism that's where the trick or treating part came from, the poor begging for soul cakes for exchange for prays to release souls from purgatory, then later changed by the Yanks or more or less (the early Scotts and Irish immigrants to the US) into, give us candy or we'll trash your house then morphed again into a billion-dollar industry worldwide.
Except it wasn’t. The Church of Scotland (AKA The Wee Free’s -from Free Presbyterian Church) used to bemoan Halloween every year and get all hysterical about kids ‘meddling with the occult’
These are the same cunts who in their power base in the Western Isles used to enforce Taliban style law, making just about everything illegal on a Sunday - including chaining up the swings in kids parks.
Halloween celebrations particularly in the more liberal cities away from the Highlands and Islands were often a little ‘fuck you’ to them.

The only real differences between what we celebrated in Scotland and what the Yanks dialled up to 11 in the US, were the use of turnips as Jack o Lanterns and the fact we used to get money (loose change mostly) instead of sweets.