Let the debate begin!

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
on this topic, do you think the goodies episode or apartheight could be made today? It was mocking apartheid with a world where segregation was by height and all the jockeys were rounded up. Would this be considered valid parody of a terrible regime, or over the line?
We've been watching them BritBox, Netflix by another name, and on the start of every episode there's a disclaimer along the the lines of "this program was filmed in different social times and their views reflect as much."

Basically don't blame us if you get upset.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Except it wasn’t. The Church of Scotland (AKA The Wee Free’s -from Free Presbyterian Church) used to bemoan Halloween every year and get all hysterical about kids ‘meddling with the occult’
These are the same cunts who in their power base in the Western Isles used to enforce Taliban style law, making just about everything illegal on a Sunday - including chaining up the swings in kids parks.
Halloween celebrations particularly in the more liberal cities away from the Highlands and Islands were often a little ‘fuck you’ to them.

The only real differences between what we celebrated in Scotland and what the Yanks dialled up to 11 in the US, were the use of turnips as Jack o Lanterns and the fact we used to get money (loose change mostly) instead of sweets.
Every religion has made its own interpretation of it but was originally an end of harvest season celebration, very little to do with kids trick or treating.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
on this topic, do you think the goodies episode or apartheight could be made today? It was mocking apartheid with a world where segregation was by height and all the jockeys were rounded up. Would this be considered valid parody of a terrible regime, or over the line?
I think this was one of their best efforts actually. It really nailed how stupid racism is, and especially apartheid. I'm not sure how some of their black face would hold up today or their love of Rolf Harris.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
The only real differences between what we celebrated in Scotland and what the Yanks dialled up to 11 in the US, were the use of turnips as Jack o Lanterns
Oh, while I’m on the subject, I’ve become well acquainted with the fact that fruit and veg here in Oz tends to be on the large side - often verging on the fucking gargantuan!

So what the fuck is up with turnips over here?

I bought some to make mashed neeps back on Burns night this year and was mortified to have been sold something that was the size of an onion and looked more anaemic than an albino who’s just seen a ghost!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Every religion has made its own interpretation of it but was originally an end of harvest season celebration, very little to do with kids trick or treating.
It still is and the church has never co-opted it unlike the Spring and Winter celebrations that became Easter and Festivus respectively. At best they grudgingly tolerate it.

Ghosts, witches, vampires and slutty arborists have little to do with religion. Devils horns, yes but again that’s more of a cheeky bit of defiance against traditional church rule rather than a religious celebration.

As for kids knocking on people’s doors, that probably didn’t happen so much in the early days but that’s probably more down to the lack of fancy dress shops at the time. Oh and not much in the way of doors either.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Oh, while I’m on the subject, I’ve become well acquainted with the fact that fruit and veg here in Oz tends to be on the large side - often verging on the fucking gargantuan!

So what the fuck is up with turnips over here?

I bought some to make mashed neeps back on Burns night this year and was mortified to have been sold something that was the size of an onion and looked more anaemic than an albino who’s just seen a ghost!
If you actually want to eat turnips then I have nothing to say...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I spent a significant amount of time "out" over the weekend and I did not see nearly enough fancy dress.