Lets push for an official track in Wollongong

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
Nice work on all the replies Craig, you're certainly getting the word out there that facilities are desperately needed. Let's hope that with some concerted effort we can turn all this talk into a reality.

Last edited:

Wynner

Likes Bikes
More feedback

Hi Craig

I have had family who were keen mountain bikers and would be willing to look at the needs you have described if I am elected and I feel that outdoor activities are badly needed for our young people.

Regards

Helen Hamilton

Ward 3 candidate

rotorub

Likes Dirt
Well done dude if only I still lived in the gong and could vote 1 MTB!:clap2:

Hi Craig

I have had family who were keen mountain bikers and would be willing to look at the needs you have described if I am elected and I feel that outdoor activities are badly needed for our young people.

Regards

Helen Hamilton

Ward 3 candidate

Wynner

Likes Bikes
Some more feedback

Hi Craig,
If a purpose built facility was built and properly supervised and managed I would have no problem supporting it. If there is something suitable for the escarpment that would not cause damage I would be all for it. Not all kids are into football. I know, because I have a tribe of grandkids, thirteen in total, plus three great grandkids and they all have varied interests. I think a couple of them would even be interested in mountain bikes if a suitable venue were available. So to answer your question ,I would have no problem supporting you.
Regards
Alice Scott
Independent Candidate
Ward 3

Old Shagger

Farkin Legend
Big Job

Congrats on starting the ball rolling. There are a group of people that frequent this site that when you progress a bit further in your thoughts and ideas, i feel that can, and would help you continue in your endeavour. Al (Nerf Herder) and myself are 2 possiblities. Please read closely Nerfs posts as he is involved in very similar projects as you. Would be keen to catchup at some stage to discuss futher re club/shop/rider involvements.......

Dobbo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmmm....would be great to see this support come to fruition but I would suggest you beware of politicians bearing gifts and promises around election time. Things like "there will be no GST", "We will never have a carbon tax", "We will deliver better roads, trains and hospitals" all seem to be familiar election time promises as well.

I can tell you from hard won experience with GV that these people will give plenty of lip service to your cause to get your vote. When it comes to dealing with residents, planning laws, rezoning, LEPs, etc, etc it is a totally different story. Throw in the recalcitrant NPWS and SCA and its a whole new ball game.

Like Nerf says, think years not months.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
To be a little more positive ... there are lots of positive things happening in NSW ... and as lots of us pointed out in the Sutherland NPWS meeting ... the NPWS lands in the gong aren't National Park ... they aren't pristine and there aren't many alternative sites appropriate to the sport's needs (ie, state forests with appropriate gradients and fall).

Couple this with the fact Menai is effectively gone ... then there is natural pressure put on the gong trails ... approved or unapproved, it must be realised by the powers that be that they can not effectively police their outdated policy, as can be seen by their blitz earlier in the year which petered off not long after.

Better to work with the local riders and clubs and formalise volunteer trail care programs. I know of one trail that doesn't impact residents and is effectively derelict, and weed infested, which could be made an awesome wet weather trail with armouring which will also make it way more sustainable and FUN.

Win / Win.

This is why I reckon working with Parks and Council Staff is a better first step then working with the political arm and their mixed agendas. They are very important mind you, but we should only engage with the political arm when we have a fully worked and detailed proposal backed by the Land Management Arms. The Land Managers are the experts and living in the detail and its these stakeholders we need to convince with facts and solutions to common problems, as their backing with our numbers is what influences Politics.

Sorry for the lecture ... but something I've been thinking about for awhile now

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
... then there is natural pressure put on the gong trails ... approved or unapproved, it must be realised by the powers that be that they can not effectively police their outdated policy, as can be seen by their blitz earlier in the year which petered off not long after.
Too true Al, in years past we have always seen an influx of riders from other areas when their "local" is under close scrutiny and I'm sure the same can be said for those areas when we are in the frying pan.

So Craig, have you had any further thoughts about where you see as a location to start? I've had a few brief conversations with a number of others, we had some decent thoughts if you'd care to join in...

BTW- did any of the never-was-beens that promised you the world actually get in to office?

Wynner

Likes Bikes
Petition to local MP

A young bloke from out Corrimal way has organised a petition for mountainbikes to have somewhere to go on the escarpment The petitions are in the bike shops at the moment. These petitions will be presented to the local member Ryan Park MP Keira at his office on Sat 29th Oct, 247 Princes Hwy Corrimal at 10.45am
We want to approach this from the point of tourism and employment , stressing the numbers that are going to DH and XC races and the local income it generates. People are most welcome to come along when they are presented. It would be great to show Ryan the suport there is for mountain biking in the illawarra. If you find any articles in mags regarding tracks that have been built and the benefits to local communities photocopy them and bring them. EG Melrose in South Aust, Stromlo, Bundanoon, Wingello, Nowra. All these places have maintained tracks so it would be great to show them that it can work.

If you can't make it write or email or ring Ryan Park.

Mr Ryan Park, MP
Shops 2 and 3
247 Princes Highway
CORRIMAL NSW 2518

P (02) 4285 1588
F (02) 4285 1858
E keira@parliament.nsw.gov.au

rotorub

Likes Dirt
A young bloke from out Corrimal way has organised a petition for mountainbikes to have somewhere to go on the escarpment The petitions are in the bike shops at the moment. These petitions will be presented to the local member Ryan Park MP Keira at his office on Sat 29th Oct, 247 Princes Hwy Corrimal at 10.45am
We want to approach this from the point of tourism and employment , stressing the numbers that are going to DH and XC races and the local income it generates. People are most welcome to come along when they are presented. It would be great to show Ryan the suport there is for mountain biking in the illawarra. If you find any articles in mags regarding tracks that have been built and the benefits to local communities photocopy them and bring them. EG Melrose in South Aust, Stromlo, Bundanoon, Wingello, Nowra. All these places have maintained tracks so it would be great to show them that it can work.

If you can't make it write or email or ring Ryan Park.

Mr Ryan Park, MP
Shops 2 and 3
247 Princes Highway
CORRIMAL NSW 2518

P (02) 4285 1588
F (02) 4285 1858
E keira@parliament.nsw.gov.au
Maybe all should rock up at his office to present the petition on their MTB's!

retro racer

Likes Dirt
Unfortunatley i can not make this as we have a big old school bmx event on the same day and i am currently involved in the proposed Mittagong DH track. I have spoke to Nerf and may know a suitable venue and i am trying to get the contact details etc for Al at present.
Good luck guys.:clap2:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Don't look at me ... I'm a dreaded out of towner :tape:

Good work for those that have organised the petition and hand over ... I've started passing it around so hopefully we can get a big friendly turn out to support you guys

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
just a reminder to all that this is happening tomorrow morning; if you live/ride in the 'Gong, or know someone who does, please make sure they're aware of this and turn up to the handover. Strength in numbers people!!! :biggrin: