Let's talk about cars? (Advice needed)

kjf

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey everyone, I'm looking at purchasing a car.
(I searched 'renault' on farkin, and go no substantial results, who woulda thunked it:p)

Right, I just found a pretty good deal on a clio sport. 12 grand, 67k kms.
2001, and I've previously had my eye on a 2003 model for 16 grand with similar kms.

So, I know the 2001 doesn't have the 'ESP' all that traction control gadgetry..but should that matter to me at all?

I've been also looking into stuff like: mazda 3 maxx sport, VW golf (MK 4 ;))
So technically I'm asking two questions here:

1. with the clio, is there going to be much/any difference for just daily driving that warrants another 4 grand to be spent? (although one is 2 years older).

2. Is there anything I should look into? I'm after a smallish 4 cylinder car just for getting from A to B in..reasonable comfort and with a bit of guts (which is why the clio is so appealing, 124KW 0-100 7.something seconds, and it looks nice, and is really comfy inside).

Any ideas?

Cheers.

- Oh yeah, and I know farkin probably isn't the best place to ask for advice like this, but i trust (most) the responses people give on this site. If i go to boostcruising i'll just get pissed off with all the hoon talk. I know no other car forums except justin foxs JDM one, but again talking about a french car probably wouldn't get much response....

Last edited:

skinner

Likes Dirt
The Clio sport is an absolute top car, very underated. And for 12k, you really dont have that many other options that are close.

It won "Bang for your buck" a few years back.

Maybe a base Mark IV Golf, but they are going to be a slug compared to the clio sport.
Your other option for that price could be an honda Integra vti-r...maybe strech out the $$ and for an extra few of thousand go for a typeR. Problem is its really hard to find a good one.

The traction control could be handy for hard driving as you wouldnt get as much touque steer, but for everyday driving you shouldn't use it.

kjf

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Clio sport is an absolute top car, very underated. And for 12k, you really dont have that many other options that are close.

It won "Bang for your buck" a few years back.

Maybe a base Mark IV Golf, but they are going to be a slug compared to the clio sport.
Your other option for that price could be an honda Integra...maybe strech out the $$ and for an extra few of thousand go for a typeR.

The traction control could be handy for hard driving as you wouldnt get as much touque steer, but for everyday driving you shouldn't use it.

I've decided against further research into civics (or hondas in general). My mum used to have one and now I remember what they were like to drive (well, i was young at the time). I didn't really like it, as a stock car, the interior was very bland, and the ride was reasonably incomfortable. I don't really know why they appealed to me..maybe it's the vtec;):p
I'll take it out of my original post.

But thanks for the info on the clio!

frostbite

Likes Dirt
My advice would be to go to www.aussiefrogs.com which is a french car forum and do some reading there. I was looking at a pug 206 gti a while back and had a quick look at reliability on the clio and heard some horror stories. I dont recall which years etc, but really something to look into as french car parts and service is stupidly high. I got quoted $1600 to replace a powersteering pump in a 206 i was looking at

Arete

Likes Dirt
I just recently sold my Gti-r pulsar and bought a 2001 Magna :(

I only use my car on the weekends, and the $2K p.a. insurance, 300Km per 40L tank of 98 and risk of damage/theft now I have no garage, meant it had to go.

At first I was super bummed to be losing my fat little bastard car. They're maximum fun those things.

Manual Magna 2001 Sports with 106K on it set me back $7300 and costs $560 to insure (26, bad record, parked on street in suburban Adelaide)

However the Magna's been suprising me. The Sports job I bought has a manual box, and the Vrx engine (gets a more agressive set of cams an a freer flowing exhaust). It actually has a quicker 0-100 than either an XR6, S pack, XU1, XR8! "With a Correvit-verified 0-100 time of 7.04 seconds and a standing 400 metres of 15.07 seconds" (http://www.autoweb.com.au/A_0660/cms/article.html) of similar vintage. Real world fuel consumption is about 7.8L/100Km on the highway and around 11.5 around the city.

Handling, erm, coming from the R, it's pretty bloody ordinary. Having a fang in my flatmates VX ute, it' doesn't seem too bad...

I was considering a mazda 323/3 SP job before Dad made me test drive this thing, might be worth a look if you can find one.

Last edited:

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mazda3 is an excellent buy.
I've had an SP23 for the last 3 years (and a 626 and 323 before that).
Maxx Sports are pretty good little cars, and well worth looking at.
2004-5 models should be within your budget, and some are well optioned, though the standard features are pretty good.

skinner

Likes Dirt
I've decided against further research into civics (or hondas in general). My mum used to have one and now I remember what they were like to drive (well, i was young at the time). I didn't really like it, as a stock car, the interior was very bland, and the ride was reasonably incomfortable. I don't really know why they appealed to me..maybe it's the vtec;):p
I'll take it out of my original post.

But thanks for the info on the clio!
Yes totally agree with you the interiors are really bland compared to most euro hatches. The integras to have quite a rough ride, but i think thats the appealing bit. Type Rs drive like go carts and can put to shame many more powerful rides.

You "may" be able to pickup a SRI turbo Astra for around 15k.

do not get the mazda there not reliable and shapes get very dated too, if youve got the 12k grab the clio it will do you very well for your intended use "not hooning" so just check before you buy if it has been thrashed if it hasnt the your all good to go and grab yourself a new new:)

Arete

Likes Dirt
do not get the mazda there not reliable and shapes get very dated too, if youve got the 12k grab the clio it will do you very well for your intended use "not hooning" so just check before you buy if it has been thrashed if it hasnt the your all good to go and grab yourself a new new:)
Hahahaha.

The Mazdas I've owned have been as reliable as any Japanese car (bar maybe Toyotas), and the pre - Ford ownership mazdas were probably the best looking and best aging designs going at the time. My old 92 Mx6 was a great looking and going, trouble free car, same as my brief encounter with a 94 626 and my parents 97 626.

You're probably talking about the laser/323's from the late 80's that get smoky later in life and do look fair poxy.

pinned--->

Likes Bikes and Dirt
He's 16.. And judging from some of his previous posts, I dont think he really knows what hes talking about. :eek:

Have you got your P's Karl?

im actually 44 im using my sons bike account i find the brand new mazda's the 6 and those kind do get dated there already almost going out, but the 90's were very nice cars, the mx5's are still going strong these days and are by far the best looking mazda.

Arete

Likes Dirt
im actually 44 im using my sons bike account i find the brand new mazda's the 6 and those kind do get dated there already almost going out, but the 90's were very nice cars, the mx5's are still going strong these days and are by far the best looking mazda.
Yup 44, using son's account and still can't use punctuation or spell. I believe you... fucking douche.
edit: not going to bother talking about cars with this clown

Last edited:
jhhahahah that was seriously my father... wat the hell how did he know how to post? well sorry for inconvienince (dont know how to spell it) guys, yea i like mazda's

wa_shova

Likes Bikes
Hey, can't give much real world experience aside from saying the Mazda 3's are a very reliable little car. Sister owns a 2006 maxx sport and I give it big points on looks and service costs.

As for the euro's, all I can say is do your research as they generally aren't as reliable as their Japanese counterparts. However they generally have superb handling and are all round fun. Looking at MkV Golfs myself atm!

Mammy

Likes Dirt
Unless you're very familiar with the history of the Clio in question, I'd steer clear of a French car that's coming close to its major service schedule.
Don't get me wrong, I love the little things having owned a Pug 205GTI for 3 years. But the quirky French engineering will get tedious after a while. Great little packages and they're superbly grippy, but reliability ain't their strong points.
I currently drive a mkIV Golf R32, and though I'm a fan of the mkIVs, I think for your money, you'd do better with the Mazda.

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
I currently drive a mkIV Golf R32
I hate you.

hottest.sounding.car.ever.

Anyway. For the price you can look into a MkIV Golf GTI, but with 110kW and a fairly limp-wristed chassis, you probably would be better off in the Renault.

Although if ride comfort is what you want, as far as I know they do not perform so well in that area. Reliability is an issue, but for overall bang, it would be a sound choice of car.