Level Betty brakes

Ruggedlandman

Cannon Fodder
G'day everyone, new her to rotorburn.
Hope I am in the right place. Have an old Gary fisher level Betty that I'm wasting money on and someone once told me that the disc brake mounts on the frame took Hayes brakes.cold anyone tell me what model of brake they may have been. I have found a website that can source any Hayes brake. If your able to help it would be much appreciated, cheers

cobba

Likes Dirt
If the rear disc brake mount is on the chainstay and the bolt holes are 22mm apart, I suggest that you forget about a rear disc brake and stick with a v-brake.

22mm calipers haven't been made for a long time and if you were to find one, it wouldn't be any better then a v-brake.

Shredden

Knows his goats
22mm calipers haven't been made for a long time and if you were to find one, it wouldn't be any better then a v-brake.
Are the M755 XTs that size? Or is it another size altogether?

Because I had a set of M810 levers to M755 calipers that were frikkin awesome.

cobba

Likes Dirt
They were 51mm IS mounts, a completely different size.

IS mounts can still be found on new bikes, the 22mm mounts haven't been put on bikes for probably 15 years or more and only a few companies used this type of mount on their frames.

Last edited:

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Because I had a set of M810 levers to M755 calipers that were frikkin awesome.
This is what I run on my DH bike currently and can confirm, Frikkin Awesome.

But no, they are IS which is 51mm c2c.

There is this adapter on shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/product/BN2N7RWP4/disc-brake-adapter-for-fisher-level-betty-joshua

or A2Z make a pressed steel plate adapter to IS mounts, but ive heard its as strong as cheese.