leverage ratio calculator?

clockworked

Like an orange
So i just bought a new bike (range vlt) that came with a very basic suspension package including a coil shock. I'm going to upgrade the yari fork, but the super deluxe R shock is apparently not improvable, so I'd like to buy a new shock

I'll probably just get a coil, because weight doesn't matter on an ebike, but it'd be more foolproof tk tune if i could use my shockwiz. So i was wondering how an air shock might work on my bike. I can't find any leverage curves for it though.

Does anyone know of any online leverage curve databases or calculators?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So i just bought a new bike (range vlt) that came with a very basic suspension package including a coil shock. I'm going to upgrade the yari fork, but the super deluxe R shock is apparently not improvable, so I'd like to buy a new shock

I'll probably just get a coil, because weight doesn't matter on an ebike, but it'd be more foolproof tk tune if i could use my shockwiz. So i was wondering how an air shock might work on my bike. I can't find any leverage curves for it though.

Does anyone know of any online leverage curve databases or calculators?
Is it same as the 2020 model?

If it's not on that site, information will be limited. Technically you can download the trial version of the program he (created?) uses, and load a picture of the bike into it, plot the points, compare to and adjust to match real-world measurements, but yeah - not a 5min process.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
If you cant find anything you will have to work it out. Remove the shock, measure full extension and then wheel travel every 10mm of 'shock' travel. Maybe even 5mm if there is something funky going on. Plot travel against shock length.

clockworked

Like an orange
Thats exactly the site i was looking for!

I'm terrible at engineering, but that ratio looks pretty linear. If not digressive at the end?
Is this a coil only bike, or could an air shock be entertained? Would it work to order an air cane creek and then convert it to coil when i have a good set up!

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I'm terrible at engineering, but that ratio looks pretty linear. If not digressive at the end?
Progressive, tapering to linear at the end. In that chart, a linear leverage curve would be a straight horizontal line (i.e. same leverage ratio throughout the travel) while the decreasing leverage ratio indicates the Range is progressive. Seems backwards but basically means decreasing leverage the further you go into the travel so less rear wheel travel per mm of stroke.

clockworked

Like an orange
So its a design that'll work best with a coil then? As i understand it the rising spring rate of an air shock will exaggerate that progressivity, and a progressive rate will work well at controlling the bottom out potential of a coil?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Very well suited for coil, yes. Air shocks will still work, but some would be better suited than others. Fox for example do small and large air-can variants of the DPX2 as one (small air-can I think, but haven't checked) is inherently more linear than the other, and if run without volume spacers will feel similar (but possibly a fraction less supple off the top) to coil.

Funny conundrum with deciding between coil and air for e-MTBs - you could go with the coil as the bike is already heavy and the motor will hide any minor loss of efficiency when just doing the sit and spin, or you could assume the extra weight of the motor and battery will initiate the travel of an air shock easier (ie: feel more supple than on a motorless bike) and help shave a little weight from the bike too.

clockworked

Like an orange
Is the difference in friction of an air shock only occurring when it changes from a static to moving position, or does it drag with more friction over the whole movement?