Librem 5 - the anti apple/google phone

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Unless I'm missing something it would be nice to get a more comprehensive spec list on the phone. Things like waterproofing and camera details would be good to know. Definitely keen to get away from iOS and Android, but their claims that the phone is secure are a bit fanciful really. Basically nothing is secure these days.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Unless I'm missing something it would be nice to get a more comprehensive spec list on the phone. Things like waterproofing and camera details would be good to know. Definitely keen to get away from iOS and Android, but their claims that the phone is secure are a bit fanciful really. Basically nothing is secure these days.
They’re open about it still being trackable from mobile tower triangulation.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I agree. The IP67 and 68 spec covers how much water a device should be able to survive. Funny that the non-user serviceable batteries seemed to pop up in a similar timeframe. I'm not clear how or if these are dependent on each other. You would think waterproofing or a water resistant user replaceable battery couldn't be too hard.

True nothing is secure these days and our devices have been feeding cloud providers and telco's for years. Having a view that you can use whatever you like without leaving no form of digital footprints isn't realistic. Even if the device doesn't store your details then the network provider or cloud provider is in the right place to do it. How much of that data is actually useful if another question - something would have to sift through it and make sense of it all and then goes into the realms of big data mining.

Telcos are mandated to retain metadata for up to 2 years now I think, although I believe the government wanted 7 years initially. There would have been a big bunfight on who was going to pay for all of this long term storage I'll bet. Asio also have their own hooks into the domestic networks.

I use the Via Browser on my droid that deletes everything each time I close it. Not so much to hide my tracks since I don't worry about that too much. A minimal browser kept tidy and lean is always damn fast compared to Chrome.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
It's all pretty bloody alarming really.

Glad I've never been on Facebook, but apparently if you casually visit a Facebook site even when not a member it plants its little snitch cookies.

And they have massive power to aggregate data about you even from there.
Not worth expending the energy to worry about it. We're all completely fucked anyway, if not in our lifetime, it won't be too far after.......

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Definitely. My wife and I were having a conversation in the kitchen about Miniature Schnauzers as we're thinking of getting a dog. Guess what popped up on the recommended viewing on YouTube FFS!! Neither one of have googled/ internet searched anything to do with them. But both phones were on and within earshot....
Good choice in dogs, my all time favourite.

Haakon

My partner is a Linux guru and says that because it's Debian based you could probably run an android emulator and Strava on that. There may be simpler work arounds but she isn't familiar with Strava.
To be honest, I think getting this phone would be an excellent opportunity to kick the strava habit...

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
You could still do strava with a cycle computer like this

Haakon

You could still do strava with a cycle computer like this

Oh no. I’d have to buy another toy. Oh no. What a shame.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Let's face it, its not the phone OS (although both the fruity kind and the other one rape the sh*t out of your privacy) mostly {man that soubnds like a trumpism}.. it's the apps that are after your data. The phone manufactures have already got their ounce of your wallets through both their "ecosystems"... The"FREE" apps everyone uses have to make money some how.....

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Without the app infrastructure it's basically a phone + camera with some basic web functions (the sandbox of apps sound like a nightmare). Fair enough, I'd buy that. But immediate problems are:
  1. No whatsappweb/facebook messenger which is problematic.
  2. Too big. I can trade functionality but it will need to make up for it in size.
  3. Seems expy.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Let's face it, its not the phone OS (although both the fruity kind and the other one rape the sh*t out of your privacy) mostly {man that soubnds like a trumpism}.. it's the apps that are after your data. The phone manufactures have already got their ounce of your wallets through both their "ecosystems"... The"FREE" apps everyone uses have to make money some how.....
Ah, the Porked One has returned.

Although, as much as we grumble, a large part of society is more than happy to give away continual streams of mostly questionable data in the form of updates, stories, photos and all other sorts of miscellaneous faff to the social media providers.

It is not that they have to try to hard to claw it from our hands, narcissism does all the heavy lifting to power their platforms for free.
If FB and Instragram said 'Fark it, let's pull the plug out tomorrow' then think of all the trout pouty botoxed people that wouldn't have an outlet for their beach photos with carefully crafted one liner descriptions on how excellent their everything is.

The North Koreans may not know how good it really is to have a social media stone age.