Life and TPD insurance

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Is the 9th hole trail that bit where you climb up some rounded boulders just after the plateau where you can see the golf course?

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
But exactly why we should all have insurance….

Great if ppl could check their insurance (I recommend a call) and let us all know if you’re definitely 100% covered.

I’ll never race or even do organises events. Odd shuttle day is the limit of my organised riding.

Need to find insurance though.

When I spoke to TAL yesterday they couldn’t explain any reasoning why not other than dangerous but skiing is included. Normally mtb and skiing are treated the same on travel insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Not all accidents happen on the Red Bull cliffs of Utah, this happened at Manly Dam...a rather tame section of trails by Northern Beaches standards.
Yeah that was my point. MTB risk profile isn't substantially greater than any other sport imo. You could get a cardiac arrest like that running. But most insurances don't exclude running, for obvious reasons.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Agreed mostly, but I do think there is a higher degree of risk with our chosen pastime, the speed we can get up to with rocks, trees and other hard things around makes it inherently more dangerous than say basketball...in saying that riding around Sydney streets you're just as susceptible to risk as mountain biking and road cycling isn't omitted on policies.

The case I pointed out probably wasn't the best example, the poor bugger probably wouldn't have had a cardiac arrest if he didn't go otb.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
But exactly why we should all have insurance….

Great if ppl could check their insurance (I recommend a call) and let us all know if you’re definitely 100% covered.

I’ll never race or even do organises events. Odd shuttle day is the limit of my organised riding.

Need to find insurance though.

When I spoke to TAL yesterday they couldn’t explain any reasoning why not other than dangerous but skiing is included. Normally mtb and skiing are treated the same on travel insurance.

High risk or extreme sport most likely, you can probably get cover but it will be bat crazy expensive.

As participation in cycling has increased, conflicting evidence on the incidence of injury has emerged [3, 5]. In the USA, cycling injuries account for 13% of all exercise-related injuries reporting to emergency departments [5]. Ten percent of these injuries occurred during ‘sporting activity’ without classification into road or mountain biking [5]. Fifty percent of mountain bikers have reported at least one serious acute injury related to mountain biking and in professional mountain bikers this number increases to 80% [3]. The incidence of injury among cross-country marathon riders is 7.5 and 3.1 injuries per 1000 h in males and females, respectively [6].
https://sportsmedicine-

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
So after google searches etc I can’t find any insurance that 100% confirms they’ll cover mtb for TPD and IP insurance

Life insurance is ok

Anyone confident there’s does?

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
So after a couple weeks of looking I still havent found an insurer for TPD and IP that will explicitly confirm that they will cover recreational mountain biking.... I'm clear that I am not doing any organised events or racing but as soon as you actually declare it the insurers exempt it in the quote.

Anyone?

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
So after a couple weeks of looking I still havent found an insurer for TPD and IP that will explicitly confirm that they will cover recreational mountain biking.... I'm clear that I am not doing any organised events or racing but as soon as you actually declare it the insurers exempt it in the quote.

Anyone?
while perhaps not what your after, take a look at the conditions of cover under your superannuation insurances. Most of those have TPD and death cover and because of the way its initially set up, there are limited exclusions unless you look to increase the cover over the standard (at which point it starts to resemble everything else you've explored). The standard level of cover generally corresponds to your income level, so in some cases may not be enough or could be enough to cover everything you need.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
while perhaps not what your after, take a look at the conditions of cover under your superannuation insurances. Most of those have TPD and death cover and because of the way its initially set up, there are limited exclusions unless you look to increase the cover over the standard (at which point it starts to resemble everything else you've explored). The standard level of cover generally corresponds to your income level, so in some cases may not be enough or could be enough to cover everything you need.
Cheers Squid but that's exactly it. Just had a kid and increased all my superannuation insurances from the default to a more reasonable amount so my partner isnt f**ked if i crash and break my neck and as soon as added MTB to list of activities it became an exclusion. Australian Super uses TAL as their underwriter.

I just got off the phone with Noble Oak who's website explicitly says their only exclusion is suicide.... BUT as soon as you ask the underwriters knock you back.

Really weird that all these insurers will cover skiing but not mtn biking as I would have thought they'd put them in the same category.

And as everyone assumed and guessed - anything you get through the bike licenses isnt nearly enough, i'm looking for a more comprehensive insurance in that $1.5-$2.0m range

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Stupid skiing. Stupid insurance.
Shouldn't have disclosed anything to noble oak. Not explicitly excluding something in a policy is as good as including it, should there ever be a fight.

another thing you could considder is workign out a plan with your parnter that doesnt include a hefty policy. The likelihood of TPD or death while higher is still pretty low overall unless you're a crazy cunt (i don't know, maybe you are). You'll have more cashflow and some piece of mind that there is a plan in place.

Also worth noting APRA publishes stats for claims payments in aggregate for the industry and its kind of looking pretty grim in general

1669851980253.png

1669852094942.png

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Shouldn't have disclosed anything to noble oak. Not explicitly excluding something in a policy is as good as including it, should there ever be a fight.

another thing you could considder is workign out a plan with your parnter that doesnt include a hefty policy. The likelihood of TPD or death while higher is still pretty low overall unless you're a crazy cunt (i don't know, maybe you are). You'll have more cashflow and some piece of mind that there is a plan in place.

Also worth noting APRA publishes stats for claims payments in aggregate for the industry and its kind of looking pretty grim in general

View attachment 394880
View attachment 394881
My riding is intense enough that I wouldnt want to leave her and the kid without some sort of safety net. Not a crazy c**t but I'm not going to stop riding the drops and gaps until I have to.

I've been told better to have stated and find out if the insurer excludes rather than not declare as in most instances the insurer (what's your already dead or disabled from the neck down) then just refuse to pay. And that sounds worse than not having anything.

Can't believe this is so hard to find.