Light bars, whats the whack

safreek

Hey fellows, gals and non-binary.
Going to get a light bar whacked onto the mighty Renault , just wondering what the bare minimum is I would need for countryside night driving.
Double row or would I get by with single row.
20 inch or is 40 inch bar necessary.
Also minimum wattage that may be needed.
Thank you knowledge peeps.
Photo of car for reference;) it bloody modern and flash
Screenshot_2023-08-19-10-00-08-68_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
20 inch double row will be heaps. Just make sure it’s got the automotive spec Osram LEDs in it. Also make sure to Lanotec the exposed steel bolts and fittings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
I bought these 6 months ago and they work surprisingly well for the price.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Single row 450mm / 18" will do it but bigger is betterer. We have one of these on the track car and it does night runs without any issue other than other competitors bitching about the light coming up behind them. Also spend the extra and buy a decent brand with proper leds. Stedi etc. Yes the others work. For a while. Check the output by finding the total wattage and dividing by the number of leds. A lot of brands flood the bar with 5W leds whereas 10W are more than twice as good. After the run back over the range on Wed night I need a light bar but there is nothing suitable to mount the damn thing off without attacking the front beam which is a nono. Worst part is taking the whole pointy bit off to get access to look for options...

Hey fellows, gals and non-binary.
Going to get a light bar whacked onto the mighty Renault , just wondering what the bare minimum is I would need for countryside night driving.
Double row or would I get by with single row.
20 inch or is 40 inch bar necessary.
Also minimum wattage that may be needed.
Thank you knowledge peeps.
Photo of car for reference;) it bloody modern and flash
View attachment 401889
take the fucken sticker off and save the cash

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
The only hassle with them is for other drivers. They throw so much light out there, that the light bar equipped driver can’t see the oncoming beam of the other driver, until they round the corner and melt their eyes.

Last edited:

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
The only hassle with them is for other drivers. They throw so much light out there, that the light bar equipped driver can’t see the oncoming beam of the other driver, until they round the corner and melt their eyes.
Had one tonight coming home over the hill... his twin cab ute had a serious light bar for sure.

I flashed the corner a few time before he arrived, but no cigar. He then took his time to find low beam. C~nt.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Had one tonight coming home over the hill... his twin cab ute had a serious light bar for sure.

I flashed the corner a few time before he arrived, but no cigar. He then took his time to find low beam. C~nt.
A lot of people just hook them up to a toggle switch, they remember to dip the headlights in a panic but the light bar stays on. I'll be on the beach next week, if I get a chance I'll take a pic of the nimwits with the multiple light bars shining in your face while you're trying to fish.

Flow-Rider

Burner
A 4 wheel drive magazine ran tests years ago with spotlights, they came to the conclusion that spotlights that went beyond 200m were a waste of time because your eyes can't distinguish what's on the road until you get closer. I find that the bright LEDs strain my eyes after a few hours of driving, the light reflects back into my own eyes.