Light Freeride Bike

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
EDIT: Well I got it ages ago, so people can just post what light freeride bikes they like, and why to help others decide!

Last edited:

Jakep!

Likes Dirt
Giant Reign Maybe?
X1 Comes in at about $3300
X0 comes in at $4800 round about i think?

both have fox shox layout, dhx 3.0 for the x1, dhxair 4.0 for the X0 and then 36VanR for the X1, 36Float RC2 for X0

hmm?

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the new banshee Rune that was on display at inter bike looked sweet, they've really stepped it up in terms of technology, the days of those over-built/agricultural looking banshees are over.

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Take a look at a Norco Six SE. RRP$6500 with 160mm Fox Talas, DHX5, Juicy 7's, Mavic Crossmax, Chris King etc.

kjacometti

Likes Dirt
i hope this is helpfull

I have just orded a reign x but i am doing the samething as you are doing. Down sizing my big dh bike for a litter model but i still wanted a low slack bike as i still want to race and i think it may give me an edge (it being light) and i want the advantegas of singel crown forks (better adjusability and dampaning and of course x up's) I have done a lot of reasearch on this as i did not want to spend the cash and get the wrong bike (just to give you a little back ground as this may affect wither my input is any good or not. i am 167cm tall and waigh 60kg). The reign x has a low bottom bracket (bb) and a 67 degree head angel but this is with a 160mm fork i have put a 180mm 66rc2x on the front to slacken it that bit more this has made the bike's geo more like a dh bike so now my head angel is around 65.5 to 66 degre's. I also changed the rear shock to a dhx 5.0 coil(just tuffer that the air models) e 13 wider bars i also put some good dh 165mm cranks on it and a good bb. So it can take the hits and hadel more like a dh bike. As for durability as this was one of my main concerns there are a lot of blokes running this bike as a mini dh bike with dumped fox 40's and i have emailed some of these people and they have had no troubel as yet. The frame also comes with a life time warenty. As for the sx trail it as tuff as nails and has a very similer head angel and it comes with good spec but it is really costly for what you get (My reign x has cost me $4500 and it now has a better spec in my opinion then the sx and i still have all the parts a swaped out to sell). Thr sx also has a sky high bb so it will not corner as well at speeds and it does not pedal as well as the fsr system is not that good as i have found from my curant bike (big hit 3) the reign x has the meastro system good for square hits and rough stuff( the reign x is the baby brother of the glory). I have looked at a lot of other bikes and read lots of reviews. But I have not got the bike yet so all of this goes on what i have read i should get it this week (week 43) so if you want to no my opinion once i have got the bike or even have a ride pm me if you are from my neck of the woods and ask away i will be happy to help you as much as i can. and if you want reviews just google giant regn x reviews. The best ones are on pink bike and mtbr. There is also a guy how is a farkin member how has one built up a reign x for down hill use the advanced search option and look at post my ride. i hope i was help:) full

NoFearNick7

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Giant Glory expert? Sorry i'm not sure of the weight. Plow Kings idea also sounds good, 16 kgs and its got a very nice spec list for the price.

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have just orded a reign x but i am doing the samething as you are doing. Down sizing my big dh bike for a litter model but i still wanted a low slack bike as i still want to race and i think it may give me an edge (it being light) and i want the advantegas of singel crown forks (better adjusability and dampaning and of course x up's) I have done a lot of reasearch on this as i did not want to spend the cash and get the wrong bike (just to give you a little back ground as this may affect wither my input is any good or not. i am 167cm tall and waigh 60kg). The reign x has a low bottom bracket (bb) and a 67 degree head angel but this is with a 160mm fork i have put a 180mm 66rc2x on the front to slacken it that bit more this has made the bike's geo more like a dh bike so now my head angel is around 65.5 to 66 degre's. I also changed the rear shock to a dhx 5.0 coil(just tuffer that the air models) e 13 wider bars i also put some good dh 165mm cranks on it and a good bb. So it can take the hits and hadel more like a dh bike. As for durability as this was one of my main concerns there are a lot of blokes running this bike as a mini dh bike with dumped fox 40's and i have emailed some of these people and they have had no troubel as yet. The frame also comes with a life time warenty. As for the sx trail it as tuff as nails and has a very similer head angel and it comes with good spec but it is really costly for what you get (My reign x has cost me $4500 and it now has a better spec in my opinion then the sx and i still have all the parts a swaped out to sell). Thr sx also has a sky high bb so it will not corner as well at speeds and it does not pedal as well as the fsr system is not that good as i have found from my curant bike (big hit 3) the reign x has the meastro system good for square hits and rough stuff( the reign x is the baby brother of the glory). I have looked at a lot of other bikes and read lots of reviews. But I have not got the bike yet so all of this goes on what i have read i should get it this week (week 43) so if you want to no my opinion once i have got the bike or even have a ride pm me if you are from my neck of the woods and ask away i will be happy to help you as much as i can. and if you want reviews just google giant regn x reviews. The best ones are on pink bike and mtbr. There is also a guy how is a farkin member how has one built up a reign x for down hill use the advanced search option and look at post my ride. i hope i was help:) full
cheers for that info! a great help.
i was thinking pretty similar to what you have, but get the Totem solo air instead of the 66rc2x.

kjacometti

Likes Dirt
totom solo air

I also wanted the totom fork they are really stiff and light and have all the good adjustments but the 07 models had a hole lot of problems with them. They leaked really bad in the wet some people hav had problems with the lowers cracking internely and it was not just a few heaps of people had these problems if you really want them make suer you do your homework first. As they may have fixed the problemsin 08. But at the moment torpedo 7 are sealling the 07 66rc2x's for $1070 which is a real bargin and my local bet that price.

jbrandy

Likes Bikes
But at the moment torpedo 7 are sealling the 07 66rc2x's for $1070
mm...i herd that forks from torpedo are just problem prone, but maybe that was just with boxxers

oh and how do you quote someones text correctly?

Last edited:

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I also wanted the totom fork they are really stiff and light and have all the good adjustments but the 07 models had a hole lot of problems with them. They leaked really bad in the wet some people hav had problems with the lowers cracking internely and it was not just a few heaps of people had these problems if you really want them make suer you do your homework first. As they may have fixed the problemsin 08. But at the moment torpedo 7 are sealling the 07 66rc2x's for $1070 which is a real bargin and my local bet that price.
is it just a problem with the solo air?
because i could look into the coil or the 2-step.

komodorider

Likes Dirt
transition

what about a transition bottle rocket or even a dirtbag i love the look of their bikes, might be hard to get one over here though otherwise i like the sx trail

peace

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what about a transition bottle rocket or even a dirtbag i love the look of their bikes, might be hard to get one over here though otherwise i like the sx trail

peace
i can get my hands on the bottlerocket, but its pretty pricey for just a frame!
sx trail dusnt get as good reviews as giant reign,