light shoes for XC/ Marathon MTB

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
Hey guys

I am in need of some new shoes, I am prepared to spend a fair amount of $$$ to get some nice shoes. But I really want to see if I can get something light.

I picked up my LG XT's the other day and happen to notice they are BUCKET loads heavier than a standard set of Shimano road shoes. Given the 5 hour plus rides in Marathon racing I reckon its high time to invest in something good.

I checked weightweenies but that thread is nearly 10years old.

any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think you cant really go past a pair of Sidi’s.
Im just running a pair of the MTb Giau shoes which are at the cheaper end for Sidi, and they fit great and are pretty light.
Only thing id like is a bit wider thread pattern on the bottom for when off the bike, but then the amount of time your doing that is minimal.
Best go try a few different brands on.

setonz

Likes Dirt
Specialized S-works much lighter than most and stiffer than most, Mavic if you want the lightest out there.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got a pair of Shimano M300, Sidi Dragons and Northwave Aerlites and there doesn't seem to be much difference in weight. Using the trusty hand weighing test, the Sidis feel the lightest, and the other two are about the same.

The Sidis are definitely narrower. The Northwaves are the widest and the Shimanos in between. I haven't had enough time on the Northwaves but so far they are very comfortable. The Shimanos are excellent and I never bothered to have the heat fitting done. The Dragons are okay. The narrow fit isn't a problem but the arch height is higher than the others. They aren't uncomfortable but definitely feel different.

Construction wise I've put the Shimanos through hell over two and a bit years and they are still going strong. The Northwaves seem well made and don't scuff up too bad when I have to walk something. I'm expecting them to be as good as the Shimanos. The Sidis are easily the flimsiest of the three. The upper construction feels thinner and there isn't any protection around the toe of the shoe. If I think I'm going to be walking anything on a particular track I don't wear the Sidis.

frensham

Likes Dirt
Hey guys

I am in need of some new shoes, I am prepared to spend a fair amount of $$$ to get some nice shoes. But I really want to see if I can get something light.

I picked up my LG XT's the other day and happen to notice they are BUCKET loads heavier than a standard set of Shimano road shoes. Given the 5 hour plus rides in Marathon racing I reckon its high time to invest in something good.

I checked weightweenies but that thread is nearly 10years old.

any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Some of the top pros use road shoes with road pedals for the lightest combination.

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mavics are hella light.

Pity the ones I bought (Razor?) don't work for me as they are a fairly narrow fit. :(